Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-05-2019, 08:27 AM   #19
bob225

Drives: Yaris
Have you scanned it for historic codes, tried to start it with a spare key ? (if it has an immobilizer)

I would be checking the crank and cam sensors, if it hasn't had regular oil changes the vvt solenoid may have failed and the cam is at full advance

Have a look at some of South Main Auto's videos on YouTube on diagnostic procedure if your unsure
bob225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:45 AM   #20
kcty

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Thanks, everyone! I have tried to start it with ether and couldn't get it going. I can hear the fuel pump running and I can tell gas is getting to the cylinders. I did also try a different key. I don't think it has an immobilizer, but I tried it anyway. I pulled codes from the computer and found nothing. The cam and crank sensors are good ideas, I can look into that. I'm guessing it's been run low on oil. I warn him about that all the time, but I don't think he's paying attention. So, I will also check the vvt solenoid. I've not seen South Main Auto's videos, so I'll check that out. Thank you!

Again, thanks for all the help, everyone. I'll post back if I find anything.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:00 PM   #21
jra

Drives: 2015 yaris L
If it's getting gas and spark, it should run, unless the gas has a lot of water in it, won't burn. but it does need so much fuel pressure. T a pressure tester in and see if it's enough, could be the injector relay, injectors not spraying fuel? loosen the belt and see if any pulleys are stuck, like the AC or water pump or a idler pulley, can put enough drag on it that it can't quite fire off.
jra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:44 PM   #22
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
If the compression is too low it will not start.

An ICE needs fuel, spark, air and impression without one of those it will not start.

Chances are it's been run low on oil, that it crazy low compression and it I across all 4 cylinders