Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-13-2014, 04:06 PM   #1
YHWilliam09

Drives: '09 Base 2-door Hatchback AT
1 Liter Bottle/Cup Holder

I recently purchased an '09 Liftback, and so far I'm really enjoying it. However, one thing that has bothered me since day 1 is how small all the cup holders are. I usually drink out of 1 Liter bottles and cups, and it was a pain trying to figure out where to put them.

Well, one day I came across this on ebay: Foldable Black Drink Holder

I knew exactly where to put it that would give me easy access to my drink, be somewhat out of the way of things, and would cover up some velcro that the previous owner had glued to the piece where I knew would be the perfect spot for this drink holder.

I've had it for about a month now, and it is holding up very well. It holds my drinks well, and I can fold it up when not in use.

I'd imagine if you don't want to drill into the plastic panel, you could instead mount the cup holder with industrial strength tape. I couldn't get the velcro off that is behind mine that the previous owner had glued to the plastic piece, so I didn't mind drilling a few screws into it. I know it will be secure too. I suppose I also could have just attached velcro to the cup holder and simply used that with the velcro that was already on the plastic panel. I didn't know how well that would hold, so I decided to just put a few screws in.
YHWilliam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
I put 1-liter bottles in the cupholder that is at the rear of the console. I bought a little tin "bucket" in the $1 section of target that fits in the cupholder. It is conical in shape so it is wide enought to hold 1liter bottles. When there is no bottle in there, I use it as a small trash can.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:34 PM   #3
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
Nice mod, very clever, clean outta the way.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Drives: 2010 5-Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by YHWilliam09 View Post
Nice addition -- does it take up leg room on the passenger side?

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
toy_toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:41 AM   #5
YHWilliam09

Drives: '09 Base 2-door Hatchback AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy_toronto View Post
Nice addition -- does it take up leg room on the passenger side?
I guess it depends on who the passenger is. Most of the time, it's mostly out of the way. The only thing you have to watch out for is sliding the seat forward. You have to make sure the cup holder is folded up.

For anybody who wants to do this mod, I recommend keeping the cup holder as far forward as possible so that it doesn't interfere with the seat sliding forward at all. Just test it out before you mount it. I didn't have much of a choice based on where the velcro was glued to the plastic panel, but I like where it is.
YHWilliam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:55 AM   #6
bairjo

Your cup holder is nice but.....I like your floor mats better!
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote