Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-27-2011, 08:11 AM   #1
shameer_k

Drives: yaris sedan
park light switch

i am having a problem with my parklight switch. sometimes it comes on normal then sometimes i have to turn it off and on a couple times before it comes on. also when its on it cuts off by itself.
note this is the one that controls the headlight.
shameer_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:56 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
It could be the switch itself, the headlight switch connector having a loose pin (wiggling the connector can test for that), or the T-LP Relay.

Does it do it just in parking light mode, or also when the headlights are on?
Old 07-27-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
shameer_k

just in parklight mode. when i turn it on the dash lights flashes on and off very fast.
if i turn for headlights the headlights come on but the parklights remind off.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by shameer_k View Post
just in parklight mode. when i turn it on the dash lights flashes on and off very fast.
if i turn for headlights the headlights come on but the parklights remind off.
I would check the connector first. Remove the lower steering column cover and you'll see the connector at the base of the switch. Wiggle each wire a bit with the switch in the parklight position and see if anything changes.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
shameer_k

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I would check the connector first. Remove the lower steering column cover and you'll see the connector at the base of the switch. Wiggle each wire a bit with the switch in the parklight position and see if anything changes.
I know it's has been a while since I replied, but the lights began to work on its own. Recently it got worst. I tried everything you said but still no positive results.

I got a headlight switch from a crash yaris to try. Good new was that it worked. But I was wondering how difficult would it be to swap this part.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I know it's has been a while since I replied, but the lights began to work on its own. Recently it got worst. I tried everything you said but still no positive results.

I got a headlight switch from a crash yaris to try. Good new was that it worked. But I was wondering how difficult would it be to swap this part.
Headlight switch is not all that bad to replace. It does require removing the steering wheel and clockspring though. Here's a video of mine that shows what is involved:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgWS...gpsDA&index=17
Old 03-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #7
shameer_k

Thanks much

By chance do you know where i can get a set of headlight with fogs stack and wiper (pirus) stack?

Note I have a RHD yaris
Old 03-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks much

By chance do you know where i can get a set of headlight with fogs stack and wiper (pirus) stack?

Note I have a RHD yaris
Try this person on ebay, that sells a lot of Yaris/Vitz parts straight from Japan:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-VITZ-...item4ac1e8c0e6
Old 03-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
shameer_k

Thanks again. I will check it out.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #10
ryufrank

Drives: 07 Yaris
Sorry for brining this post back to life, but I am also experiencing several lighting problems, which I narrowed them down to the T-LP relay.

I also have a 2007 RHD Yaris, and I was wondering where exactly this relay is located, or how it looks like.

I've been through the car's service manual, it has very useful information, but when it came to helping locating the actual relay it was not of much help.

Thank you
ryufrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryufrank View Post
Sorry for brining this post back to life, but I am also experiencing several lighting problems, which I narrowed them down to the T-LP relay.

I also have a 2007 RHD Yaris, and I was wondering where exactly this relay is located, or how it looks like.

I've been through the car's service manual, it has very useful information, but when it came to helping locating the actual relay it was not of much help.

Thank you
That was a typo on my part. It is the H-LP relay, and it is located in the small plastic relay box that is on the opposite side of the engine bay from the main fuse box.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:42 AM   #12
ryufrank

Oh, ok.
Thank you for your quick response though.
Well, what I am looking for according to the service manual, appears to be the T-PL relay.
I will keep on looking
Old 10-13-2013, 05:59 AM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Oh, ok.
Thank you for your quick response though.
Well, what I am looking for according to the service manual, appears to be the T-PL relay.
I will keep on looking
OK - The T-LP relay is located within the body ECU, so theoretically the only way to replace it is to replace the entire body ECU assembly, which is that whole under-dash fuse panel piece.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #14
ryufrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
OK - The T-LP relay is located within the body ECU, so theoretically the only way to replace it is to replace the entire body ECU assembly, which is that whole under-dash fuse panel piece.
Ouch! This sucks.

The good thing is that looked further into the technical manual, and T-LP doesn't fit 100% the symptoms of my problem.

Could you please have a look into my problem?
Hopefully it might be something simple for someone with your experience.

Quote:

Suddenly the first stage on the lights stick (parking lights: rear parking lights, license plate numbers, front 5W parking lights, fog lights) won't work.
Also when I turn the lights stick to the first position, not even the dashboard's lights dim down as it always did.

I believe this narrows down my problem to either issue with the stick itself, relay/fuse, or the wiring between the 2.

Thank you
Old 10-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Ouch! This sucks.

The good thing is that looked further into the technical manual, and T-LP doesn't fit 100% the symptoms of my problem.

Could you please have a look into my problem?
Hopefully it might be something simple for someone with your experience.

Thank you

You can do an easy test to see if it is the relay or the headlight switch. The picture below is of a US Yaris headlight switch connector, but your looks the same, with possibly some wires in different positions.

To test the relay with bypassing the switch, using a paper clip or piece of wire, jump the position 10 and position 13 wires. In the picture below that would be the bottom left wire and the wire 3 positions to the right of it.

Conn d4.jpg