Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-02-2014, 10:26 PM   #1
instantninja

Drives: 07 yaris rs
Yaris overheating with A/C on

I was out picking up some groceries today and being a warm sunny day I had the A/C on. on my way home the red coolant hot light started to flash, so I turned the A/C off and it went away. the ambiant air temps were 23*c, not what I would call hot, or what I would think would cause it to run warm.
I haven't had a chance to have a look at the condenser to see what kind of shape the fins are in. I did end up in the ditch in January and ended up with a bunch of snow packed around the engine.
when I have a chnce to have a look I'll get back to report what I find.
instantninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:03 AM   #2
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
You may want to verify that the cooling fan on the radiator runs when the A/C is on.
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:41 AM   #3
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Check the coolant level.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:10 PM   #4
instantninja

coolant level is fine, and the fan works. the condenser is in good shape, other than being jammed full of mosquitoes, so it looks like I found the problem hahaha.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #5
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by instantninja View Post
coolant level is fine, and the fan works. the condenser is in good shape, other than being jammed full of mosquitoes, so it looks like I found the problem hahaha.
That could be.

Or else it could be corrosion or junk inside the radiator. If it's marginal, the little extra load and heat that come with A/C could push it over the edge.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:32 PM   #6
instantninja

with just the idiot light that comes on and no real temp gauge its hard to tell if thats it. I can tell you you can't see the fins on 2/3 of the condenser through the bugs. which would block airflow through the condenser and rad, and the condenser would heat up the rad.
I would love to have an actual temp gauge to see whats going on
Old 07-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #7
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by instantninja View Post
with just the idiot light that comes on and no real temp gauge its hard to tell if thats it. I can tell you you can't see the fins on 2/3 of the condenser through the bugs. which would block airflow through the condenser and rad, and the condenser would heat up the rad.
I would love to have an actual temp gauge to see whats going on
That shouldn't be hard.

I haven't done it; but on a Pinto years ago, I put a full gauge-pack on. The temperature gauge was non-electronic, with a sensor connected by a conductive lead. It screwed into the socket where the idiot-light sensor went; it was completely mechanical - like a patio thermometer.

I don't think it would be a problem to put a T-fitting on there and have both. If that doesn't work, a mechanical gauge should be able to replace the light.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:01 PM   #8
instantninja

cleaned all the bugs out, its working fine again. if there was a clean way of getting a gauge in the car i would have
Old 07-04-2014, 06:15 AM   #9
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
I have a ScanguageII in my 2007.
It connects to the OBDII Connector. It can read out data on the OBDII Buss.
I am displaying Water temperature and Voltage on the Battery as two of mine.
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote