Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-23-2010, 04:51 AM   #1
citymouse

Drives: 2009 Black Yaris Hatchback
Yaris exterior parts: where to buy replacement?

I came home today to find a big dent and scrape in the front of my little car, a black, 2009, Yaris Hatchback. I parked on the street in front of my apartment and... it has been squished. :(

But, it's totally cosmetic damage. What happened is:

--The hubcap/wheel cover thing on the driver's front side is entirely GONE, nowhere in sight

--Driver's side mirror is very scratched but still works

--Big scrape and big dent on a part of the car that I don't know what it's called, but it's next to the headlight and under the driver's side mirror (photo attached - the damaged part is outline in pink)

--Paint scrape on the driver's side front door but no denting.

If possible, I'd rather just repair/replace the wheel thing and front part myself, instead of reporting the damage to insurance. It looks like they just snap on and off, so I thought it might be inexpensive to replace them & wouldn't affect my insurance rate (if that is an issue for hit and run?) Is it better to get this part repainted and fixed or to buy a new one?

But I am *completely* clueless about cars. I don't know what the one part is called to even Google for it... nor a reliable vendor to buy this part & the hubcap online. (For now I'm not going to worry about the mirror as it looks more complex, wiring, etc.)

Would any of you have recommendations? Or an existing thread with the info?

Thank you to anyone who may be able to help!!! I feel like a total fool for not knowing what these things are called!!!
citymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:18 AM   #2
Kongo-Otto

Drives: '09 Yaris & '10 Auris
It´s a fender.

I would not recommend to replace these parts yourself if you don't know much about cars. It is not hard to replace them but they need to be aligned properly.
Kongo-Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:42 PM   #3
citymouse

Drives: 2009 Black Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongo-Otto View Post
It´s a fender.

I would not recommend to replace these parts yourself if you don't know much about cars. It is not hard to replace them but they need to be aligned properly.

What about buying the fender and having someone who know more about this replace it?

I did a little google search and this part seems to be going for about $170 - $103 for part, $65 for shipping, plus painting to just buy it. http://www.partsultimate.com/index.p...duct_id=234966

Today a guy quoted me a price that seemed REALLY high. (Ok it was shady, I was stopped at a stop light and this car full of dudes yelled at me "Hey I work for Toyota and can repair your fender for a nice price, $700") I'm not sure why someone would charge $700 to fix this if the part is only $103 in itself plus the shipping. Painting can't cost $600 can it??? I understand marking up for labor but that seems very excessive? To go to a body shop and not some guy yelling at me out of a car... is there any typical price range to anticipate to know what's fair?

Here's an actual photo of the damage...

As far as the hubcap I will just feel like a JACKASS if I can't figure out how to re-attach one on my own :P

Last edited by citymouse; 05-23-2010 at 05:58 PM.
citymouse is offline   Reply With Quote