Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
Veganman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Air Conditioning not cooling like it used to...

We took our 2007 Yaris to a Firestone shop and they supposedly evacuated all the freon to see how much was in the system. Next they recharged the system and then discovered the pressure switch was faulty. They replaced the pressure switch and the unit still doesn't cool anywhere like it used to. We can drive down the road for miles and miles with the AC on full blast and it never gets really cold in the car (we live in Arizona, so it is plenty hot here
Anybody have any suggestions or has anyone experienced this problem? Does anyone know if the cooled air coming out of the dash is supposed to be at a certain temperature? Is the technician supposed to check the temperature with a thermometer?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Veganman; 07-07-2014 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Want to change the title...
Veganman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:11 AM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
It's been really hot up here these days, and my AC also doesn't cool aswell. But I don't remember how it cooled when it was new anyways.

I found that the AC cools better when driving at a steady speed rather than stop and go traffic. It is also more efficient to use recycle air.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #3
Veganman

Thanks for your reply! I don't think this car ever had a super cold A/C even when it was new, but it has definitely gotten worse. Most of our driving is on the highway and I do have it set to recirculate. I hate to take it to the Toyota garage, as their prices are out of this world.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:36 AM   #4
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Check for debris & dirt in the a/c condenser fins, also check for debris between it & the radiator.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:05 PM   #5
Veganman

Thanks for the tip!

Thanks, I will check those areas for sure.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:18 PM   #6
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
A few years back, I did a mod where I used pipe insulators to insulate the piping in the engine compartment and then covered them with duct tape (the good aluminum foil type). This isn't the fix to your problem but should help. I would get a mechanical thermometer that went down pretty low and see how low it will get.

living where you do, I would check it at night (I assume like 70's) and see how far down it goes. I think it should have a 20 degree delta (my memory isn't the best but it seems like I read that somewhere before).

I have 3 toyotas and, for whatever reason, the yaris has always had trouble cooling on really warm days. The other two are fine and has never had a problem. I chock it up to the fact that it's a black car. Who really knows.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:16 PM   #7
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
Stick a meat thermometer in the air vent. Difference should be about 40F, i get around 30s with recirculation air straight from the vent. Cabin wise, it isnt as cold as that, at first I thought my AC wasn't operating correctly, but I just tally it up to the fans dont push enough air.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote