Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-01-2017, 07:47 PM   #109
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchpaddy View Post
You were right. The choices for Economy were Yaris, Yaris, or Yaris. So, I got a '15 Yaris. No cruise control.

Hertz considers the Hyundai Accent or Nissan Versa an upgrade over the Yaris.
Nice. I guess a 2015 Yaris L... which doesn't have power mirrors or C/C. I'm curious how you like it compared to your 2009?
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:48 PM   #110
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Nice. I guess a 2015 Yaris L... which doesn't have power mirrors or C/C. I'm curious how you like it compared to your 2009?

I test drove a fully equipped 2dr HB 2016 from the dealer and it had less equipment than my not fully equipped 2dr HB 2007. Drove exactly the same since they haven't changed a thing on the drivetrain, but I disliked the interior, especially the lack of storage and no dome light, and useless touchscreen head unit. Not to mention 2dr aren't available with AC anymore, so you'd have to buy all the parts from the dealer or from a junk yard and install it yourself.

Only upgrades worth mentioning was the height adjustable seat and full curtain side airbags. If I buy another Yaris, it won't be from 2012 or newer I like the first gen better.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:22 PM   #111
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Drives: '09 3-door 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
I spent a few minutes trying to find the mirror controls. It's so weird. Power windows, but no power mirrors? Power locks, but no remote?

I was impressed by how quiet and composed it was on the highway. There's some improvement there. I was very impressed with the fuel economy. I was on my best behavior, trying to see just how good it could get, but I never expected 40 mpg, in winter, with a 4-speed auto. Heck, my 49hp Metro only managed 44.5 mpg on the way up.

Like David said, the height adjustment for the driver's seat is nice.

On the other hand, I don't like the exterior styling as much as my '09, and I really don't like the new interior. The old interior is clean, versatile, and very well thought-out. The new one is more cluttered, less elegant, and everything feels a little cheaper. The upholstery is scratchier. The front cupholders don't have quite enough vertical clearance. There's only one glove box. The touchscreen radio looks like an afterthought, and it's real pain to use. Trying to pull up the only things you'd actually want a touchscreen for, apps or navigation, just gives a message reminding you that you didn't pay for such luxuries. The HD radio functionality was cool, though. I've never seen that before.

When I decided to get a Yaris, I specifically looked for a 2nd gen. The rental didn't change my opinion. I still like the older ones better.
scratchpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:03 AM   #112
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Not a fan of the 3rd-gen L/LE trim Yaris model (& wouldn't buy one), but the SE version is a lot nicer inside and out versus its siblings. I would buy another 2015-2017 SE in a heartbeat - best North American factory-version Yaris release to-date by my reckoning, various minor quibbles aside. If you hate the front styling that much, just get black, since it makes the front maw grill design and tear-shaped foglight housings all but invisible.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:54 AM   #113
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Does the Hertz counterperson blink at sign out with 9200 miles in 11 days? How did the oil change en route work?
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:23 AM   #114
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
Does the Hertz counterperson blink at sign out with 9200 miles in 11 days? How did the oil change en route work?
rented the car for a month ~$400

i drove it >10k miles, 9200 was just 1 trip

hertz really is unlimited (s)miles

the maintenance light came on mid trip so i got her jiffy lubed near philadelphia $22
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:00 PM   #115
justanotherdrunk

2017 mini countryman S --- strange thing about mini i was never a big fan until i started looking closer and actually drove it

its sooo sweet!

drove the 189 hp s version really nice

the one i drove had black larger wheels which look way better than these pics

i like the countryman because it sits up higher than the regular mini and is more comfortable as a daily driver

2 weeks 'til the i3 goes away

Old 02-02-2017, 03:09 PM   #116
justanotherdrunk

so whats left

brands of no interest to me

honda
kia
hyundai
infinity
porsche
jaguar
acura
cadillac
fiat
dodge
gmc
lincoln
nissan
smart
subaru
tesla
vw
chrysler
jeep ... always wanted a wrangler but not as a daily driver
dodge
ram

so what else should i drive?
Old 02-02-2017, 03:36 PM   #117
justanotherdrunk

possible choices in no order

mazda cx-3 ... kinda bland
mercedes cla250 ... very sexy
chevy sonic hatch ... great looking and cheap
mini countryman ... exciting
buick encore ... nice and cheap but already had one
bmw i3 ... best daily driver here but have one
lexus ct200h ... the practical choice kinda bland
ford fiest st ... hate to shift a daily driver
audi tt ... $$$
Old 02-02-2017, 04:05 PM   #118
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
The Minis are really great cars to drive, but have a reputation for poor reliability. Much like their BMW parent. Such a shame....

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:44 PM   #119
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
You've been doing your homework, that's for sure. Any time a friend or family member tells me they're shopping for a new car, I tell them to do exactly what you've been doing - go test drive a bunch. That's the time to do it and the more the merrier.

Don't recall you saying if you'd test driven the Mazda 3 hatchback? Also, have you given Land Rover a looksie? Not great reliability, but for a lease...

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:56 PM   #120
justanotherdrunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post

Don't recall you saying if you'd test driven the Mazda 3 hatchback? Also, have you given Land Rover a looksie? Not great reliability, but for a lease...
dont like the 3 styling

ahh forgot about the evoque !!! just gorgeous but pricey

i will drive one this weekend

thanks

Old 02-02-2017, 06:04 PM   #121
justanotherdrunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
The Minis are really great cars to drive, but have a reputation for poor reliability. Much like their BMW parent. Such a shame....

my 2012 bmw 128i and my 2014 bmw i3 both leased have been boat anchor reliable

Old 02-02-2017, 06:49 PM   #122
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
If you are leasing a new car for 2-3 years then you can pretty much get away with anything and not have reliability issues. It's when you keep them for 5-6+ years & 100K+ miles that design/build quality really start to show their true colors.

I like the CX-3, overall, but would have to go dark grey to hide/blend that stupid fender flare trim. I've only seen a few of them on the road around here. Most people seem to 'GO BIG' when it comes to SUV type vehicles in this area.

I don't understand the appeal of the Mini at all from a visual standpoint, unless you are really into retro 70's European roadster styling or something. They are a dime-a-dozen here in Scottsdale/Phoenix, AZ, along with that ugly, deformed little Fiat hatchback. Everywhere!

-

Last edited by Kalispel; 02-02-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:31 PM   #123
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post
...i will drive one this weekend

thanks
My pleasure; looking forward to your impression of it.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:27 PM   #124
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
I've always enjoyed the Mercedes GLK design, as a compact but spacious SUV with an affordable price point (starting at $40k CAD) and a great look that haven't aged.

The GMC Terrain is also a great car in the small SUV segment. If it had 48" wide hatch, that's what the family would have bought when our Montana SV6 was stolen 4 years ago, instead of the Acadia.

I'm guessing you're ruling Tesla out due to the price tag, or do you actually have something left to be desired about their Model S and Model X ? I personally think that the Model S is a wonderful car, except for the high price tag that sets it out of my reach as a young worker, and the enormous center console touch screen that I feel breaks the peaceful and discreet look of the car.

David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:33 PM   #125
justanotherdrunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
I've always enjoyed the Mercedes GLK design, as a compact but spacious SUV with an affordable price point (starting at $40k CAD) and a great look that haven't aged.

The GMC Terrain is also a great car in the small SUV segment. If it had 48" wide hatch, that's what the family would have bought when our Montana SV6 was stolen 4 years ago, instead of the Acadia.

I'm guessing you're ruling Tesla out due to the price tag, or do you actually have something left to be desired about their Model S and Model X ? I personally think that the Model S is a wonderful car, except for the high price tag that sets it out of my reach as a young worker, and the enormous center console touch screen that I feel breaks the peaceful and discreet look of the car.

i like the glk styling its just too big

terrain also too big

i despise the tesla styling

Last edited by justanotherdrunk; 02-02-2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:22 PM   #126
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
If you are leasing a new car for 2-3 years then you can pretty much get away with anything and not have reliability issues. It's when you keep them for 5-6+ years & 100K+ miles that design/build quality really start to show their true colors.
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
I don't understand the appeal of the Mini at all from a visual standpoint, unless you are really into retro 70's European roadster styling or something. They are a dime-a-dozen here in Scottsdale/Phoenix, AZ, along with that ugly, deformed little Fiat hatchback. Everywhere!
Yeah, some of us love the retro European thing 😀

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post

i despise the tesla styling
What styling? It severely lacks any. For that kind of money, I would expect something that looks a lot sharper, more like a Lamborghini.

Last edited by tarkus; 02-03-2017 at 12:08 AM.
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote