Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-18-2007, 05:57 PM   #1
jeff69dini

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan 4 Door
leaky seal on engine? oil overfill?

first of all, thanks for these forums, I just discovered them and was really impressed, wow :)

anyways, I have a 2007 Yaris 4 door Sedan with automatic trans....I recently changed the oil and filter and used ~ 4 liters, I think the manual calls for something like 3.7 I believe....the dipstick showed full or maybe a bit past full....hard to see when new oil, LOL

anyways I noticed from the back of the engine, in a corner really, there was oil enough to make your fingers dirty and grimy.....I took it to the dealer they said the seal looked fine....I drained a bit of oil as a last resort...is it possible just that little bit of oil made that much of a difference? it caused oil leakage? did I harm the seals permanently I wonder? :(

thanks for any advice guys...

Jeff
jeff69dini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
drifto

Drives: 07 5spd Yaris LB
Send a message via MSN to drifto
maybe overspill? if the dealership looked at it then it should be fine. but if your really worried drain it and refill. and clean everything that is grimy beforehand so if the next time you check you will know for sure. im surprised the dealership didnt do this for you??? i would have done this at my shop esp. if it is was a new car...

07 Yaris LB 5spd
AE86 Corolla GTS 5spd
http://microimage.ning.com/
http://www.microimageonline.com/store.html
drifto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:25 AM   #3
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Prabably a spill. Drips of new oil runing down the side of your engine is very difficult to see but will quickly accumulate dirt and grime and look terrible.

Be careful not to overfill your oil as too high of oil level can be very detrimental. It can become airated and quickly lose it's lubricating qualities.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:39 AM   #4
hans_fh

Drives: Yaris
4 Liters are not much
hans_fh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:48 AM   #5
jeff69dini

thanks guys, well I know I did not spill any oil on the engine...lol...I was extremely careful...I was basically wondering if ~ 4 liters or so compared with the 3.7 called for would stress the engine seals that much and cause a leak?

I didn't think that minor amount could cause a leak...really only amounts to 300 ml extra or so.......
Old 06-21-2007, 01:34 PM   #6
jeff69dini

any thoughts? btw, do these little engines have any kind of relief to let out "extra" oil pressure or oil? just a weird thought....lol
Old 06-21-2007, 02:53 PM   #7
Toyotech
Your Toyota Technician

Drives: 06 Cobalt SS/SC, 06 Rolla S
Send a message via AIM to Toyotech
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff69dini View Post
any thoughts? btw, do these little engines have any kind of relief to let out "extra" oil pressure or oil? just a weird thought....lol

many little outlets where leaks occur...could be a manufacture defect. by corner do u mean at the valve cover?...extra oil will go through the pcv and puddle into the manifold in most cases
Toyotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:15 PM   #8
jeff69dini

ok I hope I can explain this better....

standing in front of car with the hood up....by corner, then I mean the left side at the back of the engine ~ half ways down...,the engine block is sorta sculpted into a little square piece where anything, oil, water, etc can pool.....if it helps, it looks like the piece of metal in front of it has a ball bearing in it....hard to describe, sorry......anyways I found some oil in this little "square piece"......only place I could see it being from was a seal...

Jeff
Old 06-21-2007, 05:36 PM   #9
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
ok I hope I can explain this better....

standing in front of car with the hood up....by corner, then I mean the left side at the back of the engine ~ half ways down...,the engine block is sorta sculpted into a little square piece where anything, oil, water, etc can pool.....if it helps, it looks like the piece of metal in front of it has a ball bearing in it....hard to describe, sorry......anyways I found some oil in this little "square piece"......only place I could see it being from was a seal...

Jeff
no you don't have to worry, probably from the manufaturer or the last person who did an oil change...the oil isn't under pressure so don't worry.
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:25 PM   #10
jeff69dini

I changed my own oil, so it wasn't that......read my 1st post, LOL.....
Old 03-30-2009, 09:43 PM   #11
nimith

Drives: 2007 yaris hatch
all is well it would take alot more than four l's
nimith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:12 PM   #12
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Quote:
I changed my own oil, so it wasn't that......read my 1st post, LOL.....
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:53 PM   #13
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
On our valve covers. There is a special channel that if you accidentally spill any oil. It will go under your plastic cover down the channel on the valve cover and spill out the back. If you take off your engine cover and look near the oil cap you will see what I mean. More than likely you unkownling spilled a bit. It went down the back and left a light residue. Easy way to check is just clean it with some brake cleaner. And check in a week or so and see if its gone or if there is fresh fluid.

BTW Where the oil goes is the back left corner exactly where you describe you see residue.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:56 PM   #14
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
BTW you would ahve to overfill your engine by a decent amount to start blowing oil seals. Usually close to a quart or more.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #15
PolarWhite

Drives: '07 Polar White Hatchback
You can do some research on your own, but I can assure you that 1 quart will NOT blow seals. Each and every manufacturer builds a good amount of room for error when it comes to overfills. Don't worry. Just clean it up and see if you can pin point the leak source.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:17 AM   #16
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
^^ And then the penguin says, "No, its just ice cream"
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #17
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
After I drain the oil, I put in three quarts and run the engine. After turning off the engine and waiting a few minutes, I check the oil level. I add additional oil according to the oil level, half to three fourths quart.

The easiest way to confirm an oil leak is to clean the engine and check periodically.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:26 PM   #18
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
this is the same location where our oil seems to be leaking from . It's possbly from the upper rear timing chain cover , the manifold or the valve cover of our '08 automatic sedan . Seems to collect and drip from the square piece ( part of engine block ) as stated and runs down the entire length of the seal for the timing chain and ends up on the upper left hand corner of the oil pan over a period of time . I DO NOT OVERFILL OR SPILL OIL DURING THE OIL CHANGE . I highly suggest other YARIS owners to take a look or have someone else inspect for possbile leak . Seems to be the sedans . Hatchback owners may want to check it out as well . Plan to take it to dealer and post back with the findings .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote