Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-23-2016, 10:50 PM   #37
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
I never thought your way didn't work, my argument from the beginning of this was that the mounts are similar and the differences are only transmission specific. I know your way works, but we don't want to tell everyone they "need" mounts and increase the cost of the swap for no reason.

On another note......you race too?! What type and where?
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:28 AM   #38
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by froger View Post
When I did the swap,I used a 09 corolla fly wheel and clutch assembly ,I originally wanted a celica gts 2zz flywheel and clutch assembly but ran out of money,settled for used low km corolla assembly, the splines on the input shaft on the yaris transmission are the same. But no I think the bolt pattern for the clutch is different on the yaris so it won't bolt up to xd fly wheel.
Good to know!

Quote:
PS if you have a factory immobiliser , you can't just use a non immobiliser ECU,won't start ,there is something in the body wiring harness.
Correct. There's a K-line communications wire that goes to the immobilizer ECU that needs to be disconnected.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:46 AM   #39
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Cranky: do you have an immobilizer? I'm wondering what the difference would be for parts if one does the swap w/ an immobilizer. I'm assuming needing an ECU with an immobilizer plus the correct wiring harness
Yes, my 09 has an immobilizer. The research that I've done indicates that none of the US xDs came with one. - Caveat! My wiring research shows the 11+ wire harness as being wired for IMI/IMI signals. This could be to accommodate the Canadian requirement with a single wire harness. At toyodiy.com, there are no part numbers listed for the key transponder or key ECU. In the wiring diagrams, there are no immobilizer lines on the engine ECU (needs to be verified for 10+).

All that said, I want no part of screwing with matching keys to ECUs and stuff. The non-immo xD ECU will work just fine as long as the Yaris' key transponder K-line (brown wire) is disconnected. (Also needs to be verified)

Last edited by CrankyOldMan; 04-24-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:06 PM   #40
CrankyOldMan

Holy crap, I've got a LONG way to go in gathering parts. I was planning on this being just a one-and-done weekend project, but it looks like there's some serious issues to address yet.

So to summarize the gearbox-and-mounts issues, here's my understanding. Please confirm/deny as appropriate.
  • Yaris C50 with Yaris trans mounts and xD RH motor mount: works, but may have long-term consequences for the axles due to alignment problems. May also cause problems with the exhaust?
  • Yaris C50 with all xD mounts: works? Requires xD shift cables. May require replacing the transmission endcap with the xD version to be compatible with the xD LH mount.
  • Complete xD drivetrain with mounts, shift cables: works. Requires xD hubs, forces conversion to 5x100 wheels.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:31 PM   #41
CrankyOldMan

I found a pair of 09 Corollas at a you-pick yard an hour away. One had already been canibalized from the firewall forward, the other had the valve cover removed and was otherwise untouched. I suspect it had flood damage or something, because all of the accessories and externals were in REALLY bad shape. I picked up the injectors, intake manifold, throttle body and coil packs. Hopefully some of them will be salvageable, but if not, they will serve as cores. I got everything 50% off with the purchase of a 5 gal bucket for $5. Every sunday is "bucket day", so I'll be sure to stop out when the next 09 Corolla hits the lot (there's one waiting to go out). The passenger side tire was rusted to the hub, otherwise I would have grabbed the calipers and brackets.

I also ordered the engine mount last week, so that should be here in short order. I can't find a source for the shift cables, otherwise I would just get all of the brackets and be done with it.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:58 AM   #42
CrankyOldMan

So I went and organized things in the shed yesterday, turns out that the reason the '09 Corolla was so badly rusted was that it was actually an '05 (1ZZ engine). Regrettably, that means the only thing compatible from my trip last weekend is the injectors. I did score a MAF sensor this weekend, so I've got a spare in case the super cheap one from Amazon marketplace doesn't work.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:40 AM   #43
froger

Drives: 08 yaris 1.8 dual vvti 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Yes, my 09 has an immobilizer. The research that I've done indicates that none of the US xDs came with one. - Caveat! My wiring research shows the 11+ wire harness as being wired for IMI/IMI signals. This could be to accommodate the Canadian requirement with a single wire harness. At toyodiy.com, there are no part numbers listed for the key transponder or key ECU. In the wiring diagrams, there are no immobilizer lines on the engine ECU (needs to be verified for 10+).

All that said, I want no part of screwing with matching keys to ECUs and stuff. The non-immo xD ECU will work just fine as long as the Yaris' key transponder K-line (brown wire) is disconnected. (Also needs to be verified)
sorry I have not been reading lately but that was the first thing i tried was to disconnect imo and imi and run an american 2008 Scion XD ecu.tried it twice thinking the wreckers had broken the first one but both times there was a code for a mismatch ecu.Then I tried taking out the immobilizer ecu and then running an american xd engine ecu but this was also a no go.
So i came to the conclusion that there is more to the wiring then shown in the diagram,probably to prevent people from stealing and reprogramming your car. (the car would crank but would not fire up)
After this i decided to use a Canadian 2011 scion xd ecu with my 08 yaris immobilizer computer.This is where i screwed up ,when i de pinned the connector I elongated one of the pins(imi) so that it was no longer making contact with the ecu .(car would fire up for a second then die.) Thinking that the immobilizer ecu was incompatible I changed it to a 2011 immobilizer computer and key but still it had a communication error code . Then i retraced what i did and realized i needed new imi and imo pins .After I replaced them the car started up right away.I think I tried to start the car too many times with the screwed up communication lines because it locked me out,So it may work with a scion xd ecu and a 08 yaris immobilizer computer.

CAUTION
-After you get your ecu you have 10 tries to start the car before you are completely locked out from the immobilizer ecu.So it is very important to get everything hooked up right otherwise you could be buying another immobilizer computer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loug 016.jpg (77.9 KB, 269 views)
froger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:24 PM   #44
CrankyOldMan

Bump for front page updates.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:52 PM   #45
RagnaCaT
HacKers WanTed!

Drives: Yaris S HB & Yaris S SD
Cranky whats Up!!! Haven't been online lately but any info let me Know, I swapped out my 2009 XD 2ZRFE and dropped in a 2011 Corolla 2ZRFE it's the same but I'm working on the internals of the engine, port polish, cams, crank, rods and High comp pistons.

Also got my ECM reflashed and I'm taking the engine up to 7,100rpm with a nice powerband
Old 08-29-2016, 03:59 PM   #46
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnaCaT View Post
Cranky whats Up!!! Haven't been online lately but any info let me Know, I swapped out my 2009 XD 2ZRFE and dropped in a 2011 Corolla 2ZRFE it's the same but I'm working on the internals of the engine, port polish, cams, crank, rods and High comp pistons.

Also got my ECM reflashed and I'm taking the engine up to 7,100rpm with a nice powerband
Glad to see you back! ArmstrongRacing and I have been collaborating all year on my swap. I've got all the parts now, I just have to get a place to work on it and a few days off work.

Did you use an OEM ECM? I haven't heard of anyone actually reflashing it and showing the results. I'm really excited to see what you come up with. I've also got some terrible plans to get a turbo kit together for the 2ZR, but that's a few years down the road.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:38 PM   #47
RagnaCaT
HacKers WanTed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Glad to see you back! ArmstrongRacing and I have been collaborating all year on my swap. I've got all the parts now, I just have to get a place to work on it and a few days off work.

Did you use an OEM ECM? I haven't heard of anyone actually reflashing it and showing the results. I'm really excited to see what you come up with. I've also got some terrible plans to get a turbo kit together for the 2ZR, but that's a few years down the road.
Yeah and runs Great!!! Right there are 2 tuners re-flashing Alphaspeed and Wilson Chips the started not so long ago but results are improving... I'm going turbo also tuner said we can get it to run correctly reflashed so only time will tell... But going for High Compression small turbo set up so it's challenging
Old 10-17-2016, 12:29 PM   #48
CrankyOldMan

Just an update--she runs like a champ! The exhaust still needs work, but the ECM has learned how to make her sing. I have to replace the coolant, as well as the fill neck and hoses, but that's all going to happen in the next few days. The DC sports intake manifold doesn't quite fit, so that also needs to be adjusted.

She also really likes to pull the race trailer. Toyota seemed to match the engine to the Corolla very well, so there's plenty of power available for cargo and passengers.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:52 AM   #49
RagnaCaT
HacKers WanTed!

Sounds Great!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2017, 10:19 AM   #50
CrankyOldMan

Bump for front page update (custom plate coming soon!).

I'm still loving this swap. She pulls hard all the way to redline, hits 70 without breaking a sweat, and wants to go faster.

The only issue I've had so far is the alternator pulley. It's an OAD type, and seems to fail pretty regularly. The used OEM alternator I bought lasted almost a month before the pulley died. I bought an aftermarket to replace it, and it's starting to fail as well. I've got the tools and parts to rebuild the first one, just have to make the time to do it.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:10 AM   #51
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Congrats, man. This swap is so cool. That license plate is awesome.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:58 AM   #52
ncp13

Drives: 01 Yaris TS
Very nice man.

ncp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:59 AM   #53
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
So what did you do to get the immobilizer to communicate to the the ecu?

This is the only part that deters me from doing this swap on mine
Old 02-02-2017, 12:49 PM   #54
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
So what did you do to get the immobilizer to communicate to the the ecu?

This is the only part that deters me from doing this swap on mine
We (those that have recently done it) aren't publicly announcing the solution. It presents a possible security problem, and we'd rather only give the info to those that are actually at the point of installing the ECU.

If you need parts for the swap, ArmstrongRacing and I are putting together a "DIY kit" of OEM parts to make the hardest stuff to find a little easier to get in one shot.