Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #1
phaznet

Drives: '07 Yaris Sdn
OBD2 adapter / airbag light on

Long story short, I recently purchased a elm327 mini bluetooth adapter to play with. I've had it for about week now, and today I noticed the airbag light turns on after a few minutes of driving, with the device in or out.

Could it be the adapter is responsible?
phaznet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:36 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
No.

Here's how you can find out why it is on though. Most likely it is due to the spiral cable, which is currently a recall item:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...d=1#post557473
Old 09-09-2014, 11:52 PM   #3
phaznet

Thanks CTScott,

Hmm, on the Toyota website I entered my VIN, and it shows that the only recall for my vehicle is the driver's seat track. Should I wait and see it I get a letter in the mail? Or should I make an appt. with toyota right away?
Old 09-10-2014, 06:54 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaznet View Post
Thanks CTScott,

Hmm, on the Toyota website I entered my VIN, and it shows that the only recall for my vehicle is the driver's seat track. Should I wait and see it I get a letter in the mail? Or should I make an appt. with toyota right away?
Did you try the procedure to read the code?
Old 09-10-2014, 01:30 PM   #5
phaznet

Hi, yes I just did the procedure, and it is code 51, the spiral cable I believe.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:01 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Hi, yes I just did the procedure, and it is code 51, the spiral cable I believe.
Indeed that is.

With the recall piece, they will not honor it unless it is in the recall list. I would call them though and see what they say. In a worst case you can pick up an aftermarket one for under $50.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:34 PM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Indeed that is.

With the recall piece, they will not honor it unless it is in the recall list. I would call them though and see what they say. In a worst case you can pick up an aftermarket one for under $50.
I wonder if the OP requested an assistant manager or above, if that would help? One of your excellent posts recently made me aware of the fact that the 'light' for this system being illuminated means that no part of the system will activate in a crash. This prompted me to check (for a third time) if a fix for this recall had been authorized. The previous two times I checked, a staff service writer checked the proper screen and told me no. This third time, the same thing happened, except after checking the proper screen and telling me no, the rep asked me if the light had illuminated. I said yes. He told me that Toyota doesn't want customers driving around with that system in a non-active mode. He said I should make an appointment and they'll (no charge) put in a different spiral cable (NOT the recall piece that you mention...which Toyota ultimately wants in the car as the permanent fix) that will allow the system to function and will 'turn the light off'. Then, when the recall piece that you mention comes in they will (for no charge) replace the 'temporary fix spiral cable' with the 'recall piece spiral cable'. Embroidery or a name pin/badge (can't remember which) on his shirt indicated that he is the assistant manager.

I made an appointment for the next day, and the interim spiral cable was successfully installed. I don't know if this information will help the OP.....there may be a different amount of leeway or different attitude within Toyota Canada and/or his nearby dealerships....but I thought relaying my experience might help .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:11 PM   #8
phaznet

Hey thanks for the reply nookandcrannycar!

I have not yet spoken to Toyota about it. I can only assume, since the recall hasn't been issued in for the Canadian market, that I would have to pay to get this fixed. I trust it will, eventually, or Toyota will certainly have a second class action lawsuit regarding the Yaris.

I can't be the only Canadian Yaris owner who's had this issue!

I'll call them and ask politely what they can do for me, and post the results here.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:26 PM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
the recall hasn't been issued in for the Canadian market
Boo ....Toyota Canada dropping the ball (so to speak) ? The influence the dealer (Fred Haas Toyota World - #1 Tundra dealer in the world, and #2 Toyota dealer overall in the U.S.) has with Toyota U.S.A. might have had influence re the result I obtained....who knows? Good luck .
Old 09-11-2014, 09:00 AM   #10
thetut

Drives: 2007 4dr sedan
Toyota Canada issued a preliminary notice in June 2014 about this issue. It states that owners will be contacted when the parts are ready for installation.

Let's not go off half-cocked before investigating.

Contact your dealer and make sure that you are registered in Toyota's system as the owner of your vehicle.
thetut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #11
phaznet

So...

Toyota serviceman said that I would need to get a diagnostic done first (97$), to make sure it's the spiral cable. They would replace the cable, I would be charged, and maybe, I could get reimbursed once Toyota implements the recall. They said I should have received a letter from Toyota about the spiral cable, which i haven't received.

Horse****
Old 09-11-2014, 01:11 PM   #12
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
So...

Toyota serviceman said that I would need to get a diagnostic done first (97$), to make sure it's the spiral cable. They would replace the cable, I would be charged, and maybe, I could get reimbursed once Toyota implements the recall. They said I should have received a letter from Toyota about the spiral cable, which i haven't received.

Horse****
Go buy a cable, change it yourself. From what you are saying there, you would be charged well over 200$ to get this fixed at the dealer.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #13
phaznet

Ok, I called Toyota head office. They told me yes the spiral cable is a recall item, but they don't know when they will have the replacement parts. They advised me to pay for the fix, then wait for the recall letter, then get it refunded.

I'm just gonna wait... if any yaris owners get into an accident and they airbag doesn't deploy due to this issue, that will be BAD PR for Toyota. Maybe it'll get them in gear!?
Old 09-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetut View Post
Let's not go off half-cocked before investigating
Hardly. It was a question, not a statement. Notice that little bit of punctuation known as a question mark at the end ...it has been there all along. I still stand by the boo, as it sounds as though the action template they are following is the same as in the United States. Here, it is a recall...if the path to remedy is the same in Canada, why not have the official nomenclature be the same as well.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #15
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Ok, I called Toyota head office. They told me yes the spiral cable is a recall item, but they don't know when they will have the replacement parts. They advised me to pay for the fix, then wait for the recall letter, then get it refunded.

I'm just gonna wait... if any yaris owners get into an accident and they airbag doesn't deploy due to this issue, that will be BAD PR for Toyota. Maybe it'll get them in gear!?
Toyota Canada is telling you it is a recall item. Member thetut mentions 'a preliminary notice about the issue'. The DuckDuckGo search engine is my friend . Let's see what comes up.....

.....on April 2, 2014 (before the notice thetut refers to) Toyota Canada issued a press release referring to the spiral cable issue as a recall:

http://media.toyota.ca/releases/toyo...cable-assembly

I think the way you are being treated is apalling. IMO, you should get the same treatment I did. I wonder if going to the largest/highest volume dealer in your area would help?...unless you already did do that. The next time I'm at the helpful dealer near me, I'll ask the assistant manager who helped me what he would recommend doing (I'll just say I have a friend in Canada with a Yaris who is getting the runaround re this issue). When he told me 'Toyota doesn't want you driving around with this system not functioning', the implication was 'Toyota as manufacturer', not 'Toyota U.S.A.'.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:38 PM   #16
phaznet

Thanks nookandcrannycar!

Let me know what he says.