Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
Damian B
I've made a post!

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 Door 5 Speed
Mass Air Flow Sensor & Throttle Body Cleaning

I have a 2010 Yaris 3 door with 29,800 miles on it. I bought it into the dealership to have them check out a rough idle that I've been having and that on occasion it doesnt start if I let it sit for more than a few days. Their response was that I need to have my mass air flow sensor & throttle body cleaned out at a cost of over $100. I thought that seemed a bit odd to have the throttle body cleaned out with such low mileage and didnt think that the mass air flow sensor was something that could be cleaned. Does anyone know anything about this? Does that seem right???

Thanks
Damian B
Damian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
toast

Drives: 2007 LB
I cleaned mine at around 35,000 and there was quite a bit of carbon build up on the throttle body. $100 at a dealership sounds about right I guess, but the throttle body and maf are pretty easy diy's. Your local auto parts store will have specialized cleaning spray for both. A good fuel cleaner will stretch the need to clean out, but I would think this is regular maintenance for best performance. Just my $0.02
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
http://www.microimageonline.com/foru...ir-flow-sensor)
Old 01-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
So that link covered cleaning the MAF sensor, looks to be very easy... What about the throttle body? Do I just spray instant-dry cleaning spray into the engine air inlet tube?
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I'd like to know about cleaning the throttle body too.
I'm used to removing the whole TB unit and spraying it plus a good scrubbing with a toothbrush. These newer TBs are moved by electronics, not a throttle cable.
My concern is possibly damaging something or dissolving a plastic gear with the solvent.
Also, when your remove the whole part, you avoid shooting all that bad stuff
right into the intake manifold.

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
ive cleaned the TB by turning the ignition to the ON position and having someone work the gas pedal. when im not able to get anyone to help, i used a brick to hold the pedal wide open so i can spray and clean it out.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Intersting idea!
I was hoping to remove the thing and thus keep all that gunk from goin down the intake system....

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #8
slow.yaris
Banned

Drives: 07 yaris sedan
oh boy... fuel cleaner helps your MAF and/or TB.... that's a new one. Are there any other completely non-connected systems that fuel cleaner will help out with?

And yes auxmixe. You want to take it off to clean it.

Change your air filter properly and neither will need cleaning... ever? (my MAF looked laboratory clean at 80,000 miles)
slow.yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
jstantherprsn

Drives: 01 Toyota Echo
throttle body cleaning you can use deep creep without the plastic straw with the engine off and the butterfly valve temporarily opened. Use a toothbrush and a clean rag. When you got it clean, you'll never get it perfect use the remaining 1/2 can while the engine is running. Don't use the plastic straw.

Makes sure before you run it with the rubber boot off that everything is clean with no crud around that could get sucked in. Spray the contents in with the help of a buddy just above idle and with a few high revs. Wah lah you are done.
jstantherprsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #10
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
i did this on my moms camry recently (almost 300,000km on it) and i did it with the car running and revving to keep it alive. i couldnt believe the smoke that came out and the smell. when i do it on my car i plan to remove the intake system as all the gunk cannot be good for the engine or oil or spark plugs (which is a PITA on a camry) or exhaust or other sensors.....

i did notice the other day when checking my air filter that alot (well more then none) of dust has gotten past my filter and stuck to the side of my air box and inside the pipe.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #11
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
I just cleaned my MAF sensor... at 85,000 and never before touched, it was still completely clean and looked brand new. Held it over white snow while spraying it with the cleaner, and the dripping "dirty" oil was still clean.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #12
DaleJrDolphins

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
i did this on my moms camry recently (almost 300,000km on it) and i did it with the car running and revving to keep it alive. i couldnt believe the smoke that came out and the smell. when i do it on my car i plan to remove the intake system as all the gunk cannot be good for the engine or oil or spark plugs (which is a PITA on a camry) or exhaust or other sensors.....

i did notice the other day when checking my air filter that alot (well more then none) of dust has gotten past my filter and stuck to the side of my air box and inside the pipe.
Im interested to know if you got any responses on this one? It seems to make sense, although maybe this crap just burns cleanly with the cleaner and smokes out the muffler.....but I TOO WOULD LIKE TO KNOW if it is ill advised to send that stuff through the engine. Thank you
-Brian
DaleJrDolphins is offline   Reply With Quote