Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-08-2019, 12:17 PM   #1
jayis

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
Rear Striker Lost a Bolt

Hey everyone, I bought a 2008 Yaris manual with 126k miles a few weeks ago. The rear hatch striker is completely loose. The striker is the name for the thing that the latch grabs when the hatch closes. When I took everything apart, the right bolt for the striker was completely missing. I unscrewed the remaining bolt and noticed that the thing the striker is supposed to screw into looks like it has a section snapped off. I can probably replace them with some other nuts and bolts but I like to try and keep original parts if possible. I am considering just going to a junk yard and taking the rear striker apart and taking whatever the striker bolts screw into. I searched all over for a part number for what I am looking for and couldn't find it. Any recommendations?

Attached is an image of the pieces.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg striker_carnage.jpeg (25.5 KB, 101 views)
jayis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:26 PM   #2
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Just as you said... junk yard is probably your best bet. Toyota will probably want crazy money for that.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:31 PM   #3
Maritime

Drives: 2008 yaris 5dr hatch
Junk yard and 2007-2011 will work for sure, other years may also be the same
Maritime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:56 PM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I think you might be able to get away with popping in another rivnut with a corresponding bolt.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:58 AM   #5
jayis

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
I want to update this in case anyone ever runs into a similar problem. I am still waiting to head to a junk yard to get another screw but it's not high on my list of priorities because I have my one screw and nut holding the striker on. I did it by placing the nut in the "closed" box side of a wrench and sticking it in the holes in the rear metal until its below where the striker goes. It takes a few tries but eventually you can get it. Hopefully the pics help explain what I mean. I'm sure you don't have to use the screws and nuts that came with the car, I just wanted to. I found the part number pretty easily for the screw, and they were cheap even from Toyota (<$2). I just want other things from the junkyard anyways so I am not ordering new. Also that little part of the nut that juts out I think helps it grab and stay in place so I wanted to use the real ones.

I am pretty sure this issue is never supposed to happen and those nuts are supposed to be welded on, mine just broke somehow. I even went to the dealership to ask them if there is a part number for the nut and he told me they are part of the frame and he has no idea how they came loose.
Attached Images
File Type: png 1.png (278.6 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (168.7 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (171.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (175.6 KB, 56 views)
jayis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 05:06 PM   #6
Jetdrag
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Thanks jayis, this helped me fix my striker.
Jetdrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 12:41 PM   #7
TommyWasabi

Drives: 07 AT & 08 MT Yaris HB 3dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayis View Post
I want to update this in case anyone ever runs into a similar problem. I am still waiting to head to a junk yard to get another screw but it's not high on my list of priorities because I have my one screw and nut holding the striker on. I did it by placing the nut in the "closed" box side of a wrench and sticking it in the holes in the rear metal until its below where the striker goes. It takes a few tries but eventually you can get it. Hopefully the pics help explain what I mean. I'm sure you don't have to use the screws and nuts that came with the car, I just wanted to. I found the part number pretty easily for the screw, and they were cheap even from Toyota (<$2). I just want other things from the junkyard anyways so I am not ordering new. Also that little part of the nut that juts out I think helps it grab and stay in place so I wanted to use the real ones.

I am pretty sure this issue is never supposed to happen and those nuts are supposed to be welded on, mine just broke somehow. I even went to the dealership to ask them if there is a part number for the nut and he told me they are part of the frame and he has no idea how they came loose.
Yep, this is how I fixed mine: a link to my post below in case someone finds this and needs more pictures as well.

https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...165#post843165
TommyWasabi is offline   Reply With Quote