Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-31-2015, 11:03 AM   #1
Ranger SVO

Drives: 2010 Yaris
What Maintenance Might Be Needed??

I bought my 2010 Yaris in January 2010. I currently have around 41,000 miles on it.

I have done oil changes once a year because I only average around 7000-7500 miles per year. I use Mobil 1 5W30 Extended Performance. One bottle of Chevron Techron fuel injection cleaner is used at each oil change.

I just got back from a vacation, the Yaris went from Abilene Texas to Phoenix Arizona, to the Grand Canyon, to Las Vegas back to Abilene. The car performed flawlessly. Average gas mileage for the overall trip was 42 mpg. This is the third trip like this for the Yaris (last year I took the 2012 Honda Civic).

The air filter, the cabin air filter and the oil was replaced just before the trip.

The trans fluid looks nice and bright red.

What about the coolant?

Is there anything I really need to look at?

Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.
Giordano Bruno
Ranger SVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:43 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Coolant is good for five years but many just leave it in there. I find its easy to change however by just draining it with the radiator drain. It all comes out in my experience.

Front brake pads should be checked too at this time. If theyre half worn out you can guess they'll need to be done around 80k.

Have the recalls been done? Especially the front suspension bolts which can rust the heads off. Doubt that's an issue in TX.

Probably a good idea to get the car up on ramps first the front then the rear for an inspection for damage.

I find fault with using techron. Unnecessary in my experience and just might cause a problem.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:18 PM   #3
Ranger SVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Coolant is good for five years but many just leave it in there. I find its easy to change however by just draining it with the radiator drain. It all comes out in my experience.
I will definitely look at that, is Zerex Asian OK for the Yaris?

Quote:
Front brake pads should be checked too at this time. If theyre half worn out you can guess they'll need to be done around 80k.
I checked the brakes recently because they squeak a little when they get hot. They squeaked alot in Vegas, alot less here in Abilene (not as Hot). They looked to be in excellent condition.

Quote:
Have the recalls been done? Especially the front suspension bolts which can rust the heads off. Doubt that's an issue in TX.
The recall for the seat track problem and the recall on the spiral cable have been taken care of.

So I will get it up on ramps and check everything out and give the car a good overall inspection. I'll get the coolant done soon. Thanks for your reply.

Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.
Giordano Bruno
Old 07-31-2015, 01:59 PM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
[QUOTE=Ranger SVO;766298]I will definitely look at that, is Zerex Asian OK for the Yaris?
QUOTE]

I would bite the bullet and go for genuine Toyota coolant. You could really leave it in there forever (well, a LONG time).

Probably its alright to use what you suggest..

I think the Toyota brake pads, air filters, and belts are the best and that what I get. Unless they want ridiculous money.

Oil filter...no...the cheapest will do if changed per the OM.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:30 PM   #5
Ranger SVO

Again I thank you to take the time to respond.

I have an appointment at Discount Tire to have the tires rotated and balanced on Monday, the Toyota dealer is right across the street. I'll look into the price. Hopefully its not too outrageous.

Again Thanks

Giordano Bruno
Old 08-01-2015, 08:59 AM   #6
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger SVO View Post
I bought my 2010 Yaris in January 2010. I currently have around 41,000 miles on it.

I have done oil changes once a year because I only average around 7000-7500 miles per year. I use Mobil 1 5W30 Extended Performance. One bottle of Chevron Techron fuel injection cleaner is used at each oil change.

I just got back from a vacation, the Yaris went from Abilene Texas to Phoenix Arizona, to the Grand Canyon, to Las Vegas back to Abilene. The car performed flawlessly. Average gas mileage for the overall trip was 42 mpg. This is the third trip like this for the Yaris (last year I took the 2012 Honda Civic).

The air filter, the cabin air filter and the oil was replaced just before the trip.

The trans fluid looks nice and bright red.

What about the coolant?

Is there anything I really need to look at?
Wouldn't hurt to clean the Mass Air Flow sensor at this time....
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:56 AM   #7
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
I probably wait to do the coolant until the water pump starts seeping.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:27 AM   #8
Ranger SVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
Wouldn't hurt to clean the Mass Air Flow sensor at this time....
Way good idea. I even have some CRC Mas AirFlow Cleaner. My 1993 Ranger has a K&N Air Filter and I tend to slightly over oil it. Anyway, CRC Mas AirFlow Cleaner always fixed idle problems that occured shortly after cleaning.

Adding that to my list of thing to do next week end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-x-fire View Post
I probably wait to do the coolant until the water pump starts seeping.
I'm going to bring up my 1993 Ranger again. I changed the coolant every 50,000 miles and I always added one bottle of Prestone Radiator Complete Care and Never Had A Cooling System problem. At 221,000 miles, not one cooling system problem

Just for the heck of it I added half a bottle to the Yaris (only a 5qt cooling system) shortly after I bought it. I wonder if it will also help the Yaris.

I think I'll go ahead and change it next weekend (along with a light cleaning of the Mass AirFlow sensor), thank you for your input.

Giordano Bruno
Old 08-01-2015, 12:25 PM   #9
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger SVO View Post

Just for the heck of it I added half a bottle to the Yaris (only a 5qt cooling system) shortly after I bought it. I wonder if it will also help the Yaris.

I think I'll go ahead and change it next weekend (along with a light cleaning of the Mass AirFlow sensor), thank you for your input.
I wouldn't mix anything with the Toyota coolant. If I recall, it is a pretty unique formula that they seem pretty adamant about not mixing any other fluids with it....I could be wrong so read that section in the owners manual or the label on the jug from Toyota.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote