Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
DEAD INSTRUMENT CLUSTER!

okay, i have noticed my RPM's have been on the fritz but i left it alone, today on my way to school my cluster burnt out.....WTF!! lol, at 6am u dont need to deal with rpm's being retarted and floating from 700-2000 when it feels like it. lol. and my spedo is stuck at zero and vibrates...... sick. lol.

took it by toyota today and they said the 2010 yaris cluster (which needs to be replaced) isn't even in North America yet. the car is here but the parts arn't..... great. i was told it will probably be a week before they can even attempt to get one in. in hte mean time i am left with a infoless yaris.... lol. they printed off a work form and email from toyota saying what the issue is and why it isn't fixed yet which i was told will get me out of trouble with officials....

please really, anythoughts on this or anyone with the same issue or similar or someone who knows how to make due and get by let me know!!

now have to go through papers to find out what each gear red lines at and work from there
Old 02-19-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
why are they not giving you a rental for the inconvenience/safety?
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:53 PM   #3
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
wow, on a new Yaris?!!
Old 02-20-2010, 12:06 AM   #4
yaris2010RS

Yeah, its a brand new yaris. At first I was cool with not getting a rental but enough of this noise, I have no idea how fast I'm going and no idea how fast my engine is spinning since its so quiet.... Tomorrow morning going to Toyota and really its stupid, I'm leaving them with the option to either get me a rental or take the part off one of the many yaris's on the lot.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:27 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Did you or they per chance check the ECU-B and MET fuses under the bottom of the dash?
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
LOL as if they are letting you drive around with no speedometer. That is not only a safety issue but legal as well.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
Dave

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
Yeah, its a brand new yaris. At first I was cool with not getting a rental but enough of this noise, I have no idea how fast I'm going and no idea how fast my engine is spinning since its so quiet.... Tomorrow morning going to Toyota and really its stupid, I'm leaving them with the option to either get me a rental or take the part off one of the many yaris's on the lot.
Good grief. That is a major, major issue, and as the other posters have said, it a legal problem too. I can't believe they let you drive away. Get the car towed to the dealership and get a rental at Toyota's expense.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:47 AM   #8
yaris2010RS

okay, so i went in to the dealer today very calm and relaxed.... this being because toyota canada sent me a letter saying how good a customer i am and how much they like me bla bla bla i get my first 2 years or 48,000 km maintanance free of charge including 2 tire rotations and balancing and 2 in cabin and engine air firlters!! has anyone heard of this before? i was so pumped!! lol. i will scan it into the computer tomorrow and post it.

anyways, back to my dealer issue.... i went in and asked them if it was possible to take the dash out of one of the many yaris they have on the lot and he told me it was impossible seeing as the RS has a different cluster?? he then went on to say the wiring harness for the dash is the difference.... can anyone agree with this statement? monday i will go to another local dealer and ask about it. i'm not really gonna push for a rental car cuz i haven't told my mom yet and she wouldn't be too impressed that it already broke and she would try to say i did it..... so a rental on the driveway would tip her off....

also about it being legal..... i asked him about it and he said as long as i have proof its getting fixed and it has been processed i will be fine and get a break most likly from the cop..... if i do get big fines due to this i will be sure to not only go after that specific dealer but also the supervisor who let me have my car back.....

i wanna be unfair and say toyota is really going down hill but really this dealer is shit..... i have heard for all those in GTA the toyota dealer in vaugn (near wonderland) is great!! will check it out soon i think....

one last question, can i take my toyota to any dealer for warranty work?
Old 02-21-2010, 03:27 AM   #9
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Do you have a GPS? If so you can use that for your speedo. If not and until it gets fixed I suggest you just keep pace with traffic around you.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:40 AM   #10
yaris2010RS

lol, i've been using GPS on my phone but really, its either a speeding ticket (that would range from $54-$250 {i have gotten $54 for doing 15km/h over and $250 for doing 38 over} or a ticket that starts at $200 for using cell phone while driving..... lol, its a toss up...... tonight coming home from work i had to use it...... stupid 3 lane road with speed limit of 60 and no one around me...... lol. i do 80 there when i do have a speedo.... lol
Old 02-21-2010, 08:10 AM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
okay, so i went in to the dealer today very calm and relaxed.... this being because toyota canada sent me a letter saying how good a customer i am and how much they like me bla bla bla i get my first 2 years or 48,000 km maintanance free of charge including 2 tire rotations and balancing and 2 in cabin and engine air firlters!! has anyone heard of this before? i was so pumped!! lol. i will scan it into the computer tomorrow and post it.

anyways, back to my dealer issue.... i went in and asked them if it was possible to take the dash out of one of the many yaris they have on the lot and he told me it was impossible seeing as the RS has a different cluster?? he then went on to say the wiring harness for the dash is the difference.... can anyone agree with this statement? monday i will go to another local dealer and ask about it. i'm not really gonna push for a rental car cuz i haven't told my mom yet and she wouldn't be too impressed that it already broke and she would try to say i did it..... so a rental on the driveway would tip her off....

also about it being legal..... i asked him about it and he said as long as i have proof its getting fixed and it has been processed i will be fine and get a break most likly from the cop..... if i do get big fines due to this i will be sure to not only go after that specific dealer but also the supervisor who let me have my car back.....

i wanna be unfair and say toyota is really going down hill but really this dealer is shit..... i have heard for all those in GTA the toyota dealer in vaugn (near wonderland) is great!! will check it out soon i think....

The wiring is identical for RS and non-RS.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:25 AM   #12
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
Just a hunch but I am willing to guess that CTScott knows more about the wiring and interpretation of the schematics than any person at a Toyota dealership.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #13
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Quote:

You mean Maple Toyota ... I know the service manager there he really is a nice guy.

And yeah it sure does seem like your dealer is crapping on you, I would be making a bigger stink about this, since you are essentially going to be at fault if you get caught by the cops, no amount of dealer paperwork is going to fix you not having a working speedo.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:39 AM   #14
yaris2010RS

okay, so at toyota today i spoke to the service manager and he fed me same crap..... but i faught and faught and faught and i got a temp dash till i get my new one. it was from a 09 yaris RS (i say RS because it had the fogs..... there wern't any badges left to prove it) that they had sitting on their lot that got messed up!! lol. check out these picks.....

but none the less he gave it to me and i told him i'd install it myself (had to go to work, no time for them to mess around) and hey, what do u know, the 2010 yaris (iunno if it matters RS or not) are different. spedo and RPM work great which is all i really needed but with the new dash i lost my trac and slip lights, buzzers are gone and the really really strange part...... MY CAR NOW HAS 49,617KM ON IT!! WTF!! i went from having jsut over 4,000km on it to this...... how....what..... y is this possible? so does that mean an easy way to roll back the dial is a new instrument cluster? nothing else got changed...... little help anyone?
Old 02-23-2010, 12:46 AM   #15
yaris2010RS

my bad....here are the pics.....

Name:  IMG00109.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  103.5 KB

Name:  IMG00108.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  121.9 KB

Name:  IMG00107.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  116.5 KB

Name:  IMG00106.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  137.0 KB
Old 02-23-2010, 12:48 AM   #16
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
The odometer counter is stored in the dash itself. Swapping clusters means an inaccurate count of your mileage. In fact, it's a very easy way to cheat your mileage.
djct_watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:55 AM   #17
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
I wouldn't mess around anymore, I would call Toyota Corporate and DEMAND to speak to someone who can actually make something happen. I'd be pissed that the dealership you just bought a car from is jerking you around. I wouldn't tolerate that crap for a second, it's not like you just went in and bought a $10 CD from Target - this is an f'n car.

Do you guys have an Attorney General, or Better Business Bureau in Canada? I would call them if Toyota doesn't/can't help - I would do it tomorrow and I would get an answer on something.

I'm a pushy, demanding, irritating brat when I get pissed though - so that just may be me. I wouldn't let them try to push me around though and that dealership seems to just want to screw with you.
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:01 AM   #18
yaris2010RS

Jbougie..... i love it. i agree!! lol, but really, its gotten to the point where enough of this dealership.... really. i'm so busy with work and school, the extra time involved getting people into trouble now is bottom of my list (dnw, by weekend if nothing has changed shit is gonna fly) yes they have jerked me around alot, some dirrectly related to the dealership and some toyota itself but i have my car and now a spedo and rpms i'm happy for now.

but dnw, i get my fair share of freebies...... lol

and i dont think my question was ever answered ; Can i take my toyota to any dealer or is it best to take it to my dealership?