Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-12-2007, 08:01 PM   #91
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:30 AM   #92
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
I GOT IT!!!! i found out how to keep fog lights, drl and run hid with high beam still...so simple and im smackin my head for not figuring it out sooner...

Last edited by marcus; 04-13-2007 at 11:41 AM.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:00 PM   #93
marcus
toyota

ok for canadian models...with fogs.. ...to keep drl,fogs,hid bi-xenon with high beam.. here it is u just need to cut 2 wires...headlight should have 3 wires, ground, low,and high. cut the low beam wire.. then cut the positive wire on the fogs..interconnect them (switch them 2 wire with each other)..therefore when the car is on ur fogs is running on 10v (drl). once the headlight switch is turned on that should activate fogs on 12v and ur hid ( which was interconnected w/ the fogs.which is actually the fog light. high beam is still ur high beam.....
so 2 wire interconnected...drl=fogs=lowbeam, fog switch =(hid)low, then high beam remain as is.....no relay needed may need to supply a lower amp for the fogs..coz its running amp from the headlight..and fog amp should be sufficient to run the hid bi xenon.

Last edited by marcus; 04-13-2007 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:48 PM   #94
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
Marcus you made me need a drink, but thanks
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:44 AM   #95
marcus
toyota

????

well its that a good drink or a bad drink...and yah just got my yaris last saturday and someone in here telling me that its 2 ground and one power but its not.. its 1 ground and 2 power wire so my method should be 99% accurate to work..

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleyaris View Post
Marcus you made me need a drink, but thanks

Last edited by marcus; 04-16-2007 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:03 PM   #96
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Until Violin signs off on this, or you can actually show us it worked ("99% sure", isn't a 100% yea I tried it..) I wouldnt be passing this info on to new guys that dont have a clue about their cars yet.

Hopefully you found a solution to this, as Im sure TONS of the Canadian folks will love ya for it!
Old 04-16-2007, 04:36 PM   #97
marcus
toyota

Yes Sir!!

ay ay sir i will make sure it works.. the 1% is actually the fog power supply im worried about se if it will properly run the ballast for hid..if its relayed then it wouldnt matter...ill will see..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB View Post
Until Violin signs off on this, or you can actually show us it worked ("99% sure", isn't a 100% yea I tried it..) I wouldnt be passing this info on to new guys that dont have a clue about their cars yet.

Hopefully you found a solution to this, as Im sure TONS of the Canadian folks will love ya for it!
Old 04-16-2007, 05:58 PM   #98
rage2

Drives: 07 Black Yaris 5D
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
well its that a good drink or a bad drink...and yah just got my yaris last saturday and someone in here telling me that its 2 ground and one power but its not.. its 1 ground and 2 power wire so my method should be 99% accurate to work..
dude, use CHASSIS ground to measure the 3 wires, and you'll see that it's 12V and 2 grounds. Our lights use a switched ground system, verified by Violin here as well:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...00&postcount=3
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=20

100% sure it's single 12V, and 2 grounds in the headlight plug. I've also tested my circuit with 2 separate relays and it works beautifully. If you go telling people to cut the stock wires and plug them into +, they're gonna fry their car and maybe even hurt themselves.

So, if you're looking at getting a HID kit and either disabling DRL, or running HID's as DRL without affecting fog lights at all and not touching stock wiring (just the HID harness), my circuit and relay choice will allow you to do it without any problems here:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...37&postcount=6

Relay choice here:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=13

I've even got the wire colors mapped out making it simple for any DIY'er.
My Site - Beyond Car Forums

Last edited by rage2; 04-16-2007 at 06:08 PM.
rage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:39 PM   #99
marcus
toyota

ok.....

well maybe its different with canadian model..coz i just got my yaris last saturday and had check the headlight wires right away... got 2 red wire and one black and from what i know black is always ground..red is power wires..but like i said if u got 2 ground and one power the method should still work..just make sure you grab the ground wire on the fogs instaed of power wire..

good luck!!

TE=rage2;75985]dude, use CHASSIS ground to measure the 3 wires, and you'll see that it's 12V and 2 grounds. Our lights use a switched ground system, verified by Violin here as well:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...00&postcount=3
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=20

100% sure it's single 12V, and 2 grounds in the headlight plug. I've also tested my circuit with 2 separate relays and it works beautifully. If you go telling people to cut the stock wires and plug them into +, they're gonna fry their car and maybe even hurt themselves.

So, if you're looking at getting a HID kit and either disabling DRL, or running HID's as DRL without affecting fog lights at all and not touching stock wiring (just the HID harness), my circuit and relay choice will allow you to do it without any problems here:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...37&postcount=6

Relay choice here:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=13

I've even got the wire colors mapped out making it simple for any DIY'er.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-17-2007, 09:18 AM   #100
rage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
well maybe its different with canadian model..coz i just got my yaris last saturday and had check the headlight wires right away... got 2 red wire and one black and from what i know black is always ground..red is power wires..but like i said if u got 2 ground and one power the method should still work..just make sure you grab the ground wire on the fogs instaed of power wire..
I'm from Calgary and I have a Canadian car. The headlight plug has 3 wires, and it's black, dark green, dark blue. Don't go by colors because the black wire is 12V. The easiest way to tell is to take a voltmeter, take the (-) tap, and throw it on ground. Then measure the 3 wires and you'll see whats power, and what's ground. Don't rely on colors.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:45 AM   #101
marcus
toyota

thats weird..!!

i will actually use a voltmeter to figure this out..but dont you think that is the weirdest thing that toyota will make (black wire) as power..wow..im just too busy to do this just got it last weekend..i havent even check the manual yet...ill keep you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
I'm from Calgary and I have a Canadian car. The headlight plug has 3 wires, and it's black, dark green, dark blue. Don't go by colors because the black wire is 12V. The easiest way to tell is to take a voltmeter, take the (-) tap, and throw it on ground. Then measure the 3 wires and you'll see whats power, and what's ground. Don't rely on colors.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:49 AM   #102
marcus
toyota

well is the fog power setup the same though...coz if it is it will still work.. switch ground wires from headlight to fog light...i got to talk to violin!!!
Old 04-17-2007, 01:31 PM   #103
rage2

You've been telling people it works without even measuring what the wires are yet? If you've ever looked at an ECU harness, they have the most bizarre colors for ground or power. NEVER EVER guess a wire is ground because it's black, or a wire is power because it's red.

I don't know foglight wiring, so I can't answer that question.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:29 PM   #104
marcus
toyota

actually read on!!

i havent told anyone it works im saying it should work..there a difference there..i just really cant wait to do it on mine..again we are going in circles here..the method should work..im giving a 99% only thing holding that back is the power running on the fogs... if hid ballast is relayed and it wont matter...even though YOURE confirming that there is 2 ground wire and one power it should still work! assuming the fogs has the same set up.. " switch fog ground to low beam ground". without check the voltmeter the worst thing that can happen should be blowing your fuse"... but hey "VOLTMETER" will be our best friend here.. im waiting for "VIOLIN" to respond maybe i dont have to use it! well see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
You've been telling people it works without even measuring what the wires are yet? If you've ever looked at an ECU harness, they have the most bizarre colors for ground or power. NEVER EVER guess a wire is ground because it's black, or a wire is power because it's red.

I don't know foglight wiring, so I can't answer that question.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:21 PM   #105
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

How about starting a new post on this subject..
Old 07-28-2007, 09:07 PM   #106
Angry Andy
angryandy.net

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5-dr black HB
Send a message via AIM to Angry Andy Send a message via MSN to Angry Andy
Thanks for the easy mod, Chris. This will be the first mod I'll do when I pick up my hatchback later this week.

The issue of legality doesn't concern me in the least. I hate driving around with lights on all the time. And I hate driving around a well-lit town at night being fooled into the notion that my real headlamps are on. DRLs are the most useless passive automotive safety feature ever.
Angry Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:30 PM   #107
jeremyshay

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metalic Liftback
Send a message via AIM to jeremyshay
THANKS!!!!!
any weird side effects of this?!
cause if not im totally on it the second i wake up tomorrow.....
jeremyshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:20 AM   #108
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Morning.

See, everything's fine.