Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-06-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
BDYaris

Drives: 08 HB
First Oil Change today.... move to Synthetic.

So the Yaris hit 5000 miles last weekend. I decided to not wait a minute longer. I bought an oil filter got to draining in the snow here. I must thank Toyota once again for putting the oil filter in a great location, but its only benefit is for little asian hands that built this car. my hand could barely get a decent grip on it. So I busted out the channel lock pliers and opened it to the largest setting and gripped the base of the filter and crushed it. Now, I had some leverage to removed the filter.

I must say this was a breeze to do compared to my other 2JZ cars.

The only drawback I had was getting a decent pouring angle with the GTSpec strut bar over the oil filler cap. (ended up using a crappy little funnel that made life a living hell - but accomplished the task)

I filled up with Castrol Syntec 5W-50, cleaned up, started up the car and let it idle for a few minutes.

Wish it was warmer to do this, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Now all I have to do is reset the maintenance light and Im good to go.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:49 PM   #2
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
Yep, other than having to use the pliers every time I change it too, this is the simplist car I've ever done an oil change on.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
5w-50 wow thats thick..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #4
BDYaris

Drives: 08 HB
yeah I read up on it.... Apparently its now standard in new BMW's. It cant hurt...I got 4 jugs for free at a car show. So im using it on the Yaris and GS350.