Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-20-2011, 12:31 AM   #1
Dylanwhat

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Exclamation 2008 Yaris Buzzing

Hey guys!

I have very limited car knowledge and I need some help.

My 2008 Yaris Hatchback has been making a buzzing sound for a while now. It almost sounds like there is an RC car in the engine. I feel like the sound is coming from the alternator. Spraying belt dressing on the belt made the sound quieter but it's still quite loud. I wanted to see if you guys have any experience with this because I sure don't.

Also, would this effect my performance? I feel like accelerating is much slower than normal and when I let off the gas on the freeway it slows down drastically.

Here's a video
http://vimeo.com/30833879
Dylanwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:38 AM   #2
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Wow that does sound bad. The video helped. Try this: get a 1x2 wooden stick long enough to put against various parts of the engine components and put your ear up against the other end. This kind of works like a stethoscope and will help pinpoint what part might be the problem. It could be the alternator or water pump. Figure out what part it is and take it to a place like autozone (or pepboys?) and tell them what part it is and show them the noise it makes.

Hope this helps, and get that fixed asap.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:26 AM   #3
MickZEL

Drives: Yaris sedan
The fact that the smoke is gone, when the added gas?
Old 10-20-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
Dylanwhat

Drives: Yaris Liftback
I used some long hosing to isolate the sound. It seems to be coming from the alternator. I feel confident that I can replace the alternator myself.

Would this explain my performance issues?

Should I buy a remanufactured alternator or a low milage alternator. Also should I get it online or locally?

Thanks so much guys!
Dylanwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
That definitely sounds like the alternator has a bearing that is on its way out. Either low mileage or reman should be fine. You can check locally at junk yards using www.car-parts.com which is an online database for junkyard parts. Try to get a 2009 or newer if possible, as the 2007 and early 2008 ones are prone to an issue with part of the voltage regulator corroding.

If the bearing is bad enough to add rotational resistance, then it could definitely be your performance issue.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
+1
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:09 PM   #7
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Lots of money made by the "rebuilders" by taking a perfectly good alternator and replacing the bearings. It is the method they use to replace the bearings that assures a return customer!

I replace alternator bearings by pulling the old ones, then burnish the shaft so that the new ones slide on, not press on. Takes a bit of time, but the bearings will last far longer, and take less power to turn.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buzzing, repair, sound, yaris