Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
Lewis
Our off road vehicle
 
Lewis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 201
seat belt chime disable?

Hi from a new Yaris owner. Like the car but the seatbelt chime drives me nuts. I use the hatch to pick up and drop off a lot of gardening supplies and having to buckle and unbuckle the belt as I drive around my property is a MAJOR PITA.

I saw this technique on the Corolla website to disable the chime. Has any one tried this on the Yaris- does it work?

1. turn ignition to ON, do not start car or touch brakes. 2. set trip meter to ODO, not Trip A or Trip B 3. turn ignition back off to LOCK 4. turn ignition to ON again, this time press and hold trip meter button within 6 seconds of turning ignition to ON 5. hold button for 12 seconds*, then while holding button, fasten driver's seat belt * you must hold for at least 12 seconds or it won't work! 6. trip meter LCD should now display b-off or b-on... you want it set to b-off. you can release the button at this point and press it again to cycle the options. 7. wait for the trip meter LCD to return to normal, turn off ignition. That should turn off the seat belt chime,
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
andaconda
 
andaconda's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 Yaris Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montana
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
Hi from a new Yaris owner. Like the car but the seatbelt chime drives me nuts. I use the hatch to pick up and drop off a lot of gardening supplies and having to buckle and unbuckle the belt as I drive around my property is a MAJOR PITA.

I saw this technique on the Corolla website to disable the chime. Has any one tried this on the Yaris- does it work?

1. turn ignition to ON, do not start car or touch brakes. 2. set trip meter to ODO, not Trip A or Trip B 3. turn ignition back off to LOCK 4. turn ignition to ON again, this time press and hold trip meter button within 6 seconds of turning ignition to ON 5. hold button for 12 seconds*, then while holding button, fasten driver's seat belt * you must hold for at least 12 seconds or it won't work! 6. trip meter LCD should now display b-off or b-on... you want it set to b-off. you can release the button at this point and press it again to cycle the options. 7. wait for the trip meter LCD to return to normal, turn off ignition. That should turn off the seat belt chime,
Tried it -- DOES NOT seem to work.
I wish there were an easier way without taking it to the dealer
andaconda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
Lewis
Our off road vehicle
 
Lewis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 201
alternatively I'd be ok with just removing the chime module (I'd give up the ability to be warned if I leave on headlights or left key in ignition etc.) if I could find it. An older post here was wrong as to it's location for my 2009- when I tried to reliplicate the technique in the post and took apart the dash- the chime seemed to be inside the instrutment module (which I'd be afraid to disassemble) and I was unable to pull it.
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
1stToyota
 
1stToyota's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,189
Ever tried something simple like sticking an extension into the seatbelt latch? I did that to the passanger side to keep the airbag light happy when I'm hauling my dachshund around in the front seat. I got my extension from Toyota for free. Owners manual said they'd be free at the dealership, and it was true. All they asked for was what length I wanted the extension to be.
__________________


1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
Lewis
Our off road vehicle
 
Lewis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 201
The dealer did it today (for free BTW)- what a relief! Thanks Crystal Toyota (NJ).
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #6
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW
 
mikenacarato's Avatar
 
Drives: 15 STI
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Brentwood, TN
Posts: 2,290
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
idk why people keep coming up with different ways to trick or get around it. the dealer will turn it off free of charge.
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
kenora
 
Drives: 2009 Yaris LE 5 dr
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Winnipeg. Canada
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
Ever tried something simple like sticking an extension into the seatbelt latch? I did that to the passanger side to keep the airbag light happy when I'm hauling my dachshund around in the front seat. I got my extension from Toyota for free. Owners manual said they'd be free at the dealership, and it was true. All they asked for was what length I wanted the extension to be.
hahahhaa...had to laugh... I just called my dealer about the extension and turning off the chime (and my wind whistle...another post).

The service manager said the extension was free but I had to bring my brother-in-law (400++++++ lbs) into the dealership so they could custom measure an extension.

I said NO FRICKIN WAY!

The guy is sensitive enough about weighing as much as the Yaris does without having some service dude measure the amount of "way too fat for the Yaris" he is.

I said I needed an extension of about 2 - 4 inches, and they better come up with it without the need for "Dumbo" (B-i-L) to be there....we'll see....

On the chime he said that he had never turned one off on the Yaris but that since every other Toyota model had the ability to be turned off he expected the Yaris would as well.
kenora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:52 PM   #8
1stToyota
 
1stToyota's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenacarato View Post
idk why people keep coming up with different ways to trick or get around it. the dealer will turn it off free of charge.
Nothing tricky about sticking in a free extension; next owner might like seat belt chimes and airbag warning lights.
__________________


1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:45 PM   #9
andaconda
 
andaconda's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 Yaris Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montana
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenacarato View Post
idk why people keep coming up with different ways to trick or get around it. the dealer will turn it off free of charge.
Took in in today / 5 min fix.
andaconda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:20 PM   #10
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW
 
mikenacarato's Avatar
 
Drives: 15 STI
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Brentwood, TN
Posts: 2,290
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
was it free for you too?
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:35 PM   #11
AlexNet0
 
AlexNet0's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Rockland, ME
Posts: 1,667
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
find the 2 wires that go to the buckle, splice/crimp/solder in 2 more wires and wire to a toggle switch. that way you could choose whether or not you want the chime. I would prefer this over having an extension plugged in 24/7 when I have computers/monitors/printers in the passenger seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg switch.jpg (8.9 KB, 264 views)
__________________
----------
----------
AlexNet0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:55 PM   #12
andaconda
 
andaconda's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 Yaris Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montana
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenacarato View Post
was it free for you too?
YES - After they finished I asked them "what's the charge?" Reply was "nothing." The price seemed fair to me.
andaconda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:31 PM   #13
nemelek
DWEED
 
nemelek's Avatar
 
Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,171
I got mine done for free. It took a little arm twisting by threatening them with a bad new owner survey. If it is the only mod I make, it is well worth it.
__________________
Making a decision without following it with an action is still a fantasy.
nemelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:41 AM   #14
Lewis
Our off road vehicle
 
Lewis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 201
Actually I should mention for the sake of those who haven't had this done- the chime still rings 5x when you turn on the engine to remind you to put the belt on. What it doesn't do after the mod by the dealer is restart ringing again once you start to drive without the seatbelt being buckled.

Last edited by Lewis; 04-17-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:55 AM   #15
andaconda
 
andaconda's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 Yaris Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montana
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
Actually I should mention for the sake of those who haven't had this done- the chime still rings 3x when you turn on the engine to remind you to put the belt on. What it doesn't do after the mod by the dealer is restart ringing again once you start to drive without the seatbelt being buckled.
And the light will continue to blink in the gauge cluster.
andaconda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:10 AM   #16
1stToyota
 
1stToyota's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNet0 View Post
find the 2 wires that go to the buckle, splice/crimp/solder in 2 more wires and wire to a toggle switch. that way you could choose whether or not you want the chime. I would prefer this over having an extension plugged in 24/7 when I have computers/monitors/printers in the passenger seat.
My extension is neatly tucked between passenger seat and console. Don't even know that it's there. No blinking lights, no chimes, no cost.
__________________


1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:56 AM   #17
Lewis
Our off road vehicle
 
Lewis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 201
yes the light does continue to blink

i wink back- we've become friends!
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:02 PM   #18
nemelek
DWEED
 
nemelek's Avatar
 
Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,171
A small piece of electrical tape would help.
__________________
Making a decision without following it with an action is still a fantasy.
nemelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drivers Side Seat Belt Won't Retract redyaris DIY / Maintenance / Service 8 08-07-2014 10:37 AM
Seat belt buzzer is silenced billk General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 48 10-30-2013 09:58 AM
Clazzio Seat Cover DIY Install PETERPOOP DIY / Maintenance / Service 31 09-10-2010 03:30 PM
Seat belt reminder warning Beep Jord DIY / Maintenance / Service 28 04-09-2009 08:37 AM
Rostra seat heater and lumbar support sesmith In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 1 01-03-2009 09:51 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:57 AM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.