Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-14-2010, 02:07 PM   #19
sk8manmike

Drives: 2007 Yaris 4d Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
Red line wont void the warranty its a 75w-90 API GL-4 gear oil and the yaris owner's manual calls for either GL-4 or GL-5. Since there is no hypoid final drive then GL-4 is what you want. Even a superbike oil like Mobil 1 racing 4T real synthetic would work fine since 75w-90 gear oil equals 5W/10W/15W-40 engine oil - as long as it doesnt have friction mods which bike oil does not have.
awesome - ordering it now than, thanks guys
sk8manmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #20
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
Anyone try the walmart supertech semi syn - some other forums (WRX) seem to think its a good STD replacement for those who dont want to spend 30 bucks on 2 qts of gear oil.
Yes, I did because there was no Mobil1 on the shelf. I changed mine around 80,000 for first time. It shifted much smoother but, it was way overdue for a change. I did gain about 1 MPG.
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #21
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Good to know. I have AMALIE 75w-90 GL-5 MT-1 and it s OK but I am not hog wild about it; at least not wild about it enough to rec it.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #22
dennischan0919

Drives: 2009 5 doors hatchback S
TSB 0068-09? transverse engine mount-abnormal noise and vibration on acceleration during accelerating from a stop or shifting gears.
dennischan0919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:03 PM   #23
fiia

Drives: 09 Flint Mica Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
And +1 on the Amsoil; made a noticeable difference in mine. Tried GL-5 Lubro-Moly 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Oil prior to the Amsoil; the Lubro-Moly made no difference at all over the factory fill.

For the 75w-90 oils, can you mix these with the standard stuff Toyota puts in (10w40) or do you have to completely drain that out first?
also, at what mileage intervals is it recommended to use these?
I have about 15k but I often drive through heavy traffic on the highway and sometimes experience similar shifting problems, so I was looking to use redline. Any thoughts?
fiia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #24
QR25DE_SpecV

Drives: 2006 Sentra SpecV
You're experiencing what is called transmission lockout. This is because the synchronizers in the Yaris transmission are small, and weak as hell. There are a few things you can do to combat this though.

First gear lockout is actually very common in manual transmissions, and you'll find very few transmissions that allow you to shift to first gear at speed. This is by design, to reduce the likelihood of you screwing up and valve floating your engine to death. One car I've driven that allows you to shift to first while at any speed is the Lotus Elise/Exige, for obvious purposes.

1) Better fluid. AMSOil is pretty awesome stuff, as already stated in the thread. I'd personally recommend that.

2) Double clutching. This may sound silly, but I promise you it works. In my SpecV you can't put the car in first unless you're damn near stopped. If I double clutch, I can get it in doing 20.

3) Try rev matching in conjunction with double clutching. Both of these will eliminate the need for the syncro entirely, and the gear should slide in.

If you're unfamiliar with double clutching, it's pretty simple. Stab the clutch while taking the car out of what ever gear you're in, release the clutch, then depress the clutch again, and at the same time rev match and slide the gear in.

Works every time with me.

EDIT: I've only experienced transmission lockout on a few other cars, all of which were 'cheap' in nature. The Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T had horrible second gear lockout, even when rev matching. This is either due to cheap design, inadequate syncros, or poor fluid. Probably more than one, if not all of these are the reason why you're having that experience.

EDIT #2: I was thinking maybe it's a linkage issue, but that would also impact 4th gear, which you make no mention of. So I'd say this isn't a linkage issue either.

Quote:
It's not what you drive, but what drives you
QR25DE_SpecV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:05 AM   #25
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiia View Post
For the 75w-90 oils, can you mix these with the standard stuff Toyota puts in (10w40) or do you have to completely drain that out first?
also, at what mileage intervals is it recommended to use these?
I have about 15k but I often drive through heavy traffic on the highway and sometimes experience similar shifting problems, so I was looking to use redline. Any thoughts?
drain and refill . Then use your choice of the REDLINE MT-90 or the AMSOIL MTG . These are GL-4 oils and you will encounter better shifting than with a GL-5 . Also less corrosive . Know from own experience with GL-5 and GL-4 gear oil . GL-4 is a must . GOOD LUCK
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #26
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Have you lubed the shift linkage underhood? I just sprayed mine last evening and now not only has the squeak stopped but WOW!, it shifts so, so much smoother now. Best $7.00 I've spent (spray Lithium grease, lifetime supply).

Here's the thread with instructions:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10644

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:18 PM   #27
sk8manmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by QR25DE_SpecV View Post
You're experiencing what is called transmission lockout. This is because the synchronizers in the Yaris transmission are small, and weak as hell. There are a few things you can do to combat this though.

First gear lockout is actually very common in manual transmissions, and you'll find very few transmissions that allow you to shift to first gear at speed. This is by design, to reduce the likelihood of you screwing up and valve floating your engine to death. One car I've driven that allows you to shift to first while at any speed is the Lotus Elise/Exige, for obvious purposes.

1) Better fluid. AMSOil is pretty awesome stuff, as already stated in the thread. I'd personally recommend that.

2) Double clutching. This may sound silly, but I promise you it works. In my SpecV you can't put the car in first unless you're damn near stopped. If I double clutch, I can get it in doing 20.

3) Try rev matching in conjunction with double clutching. Both of these will eliminate the need for the syncro entirely, and the gear should slide in.

If you're unfamiliar with double clutching, it's pretty simple. Stab the clutch while taking the car out of what ever gear you're in, release the clutch, then depress the clutch again, and at the same time rev match and slide the gear in.

Works every time with me.

EDIT: I've only experienced transmission lockout on a few other cars, all of which were 'cheap' in nature. The Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T had horrible second gear lockout, even when rev matching. This is either due to cheap design, inadequate syncros, or poor fluid. Probably more than one, if not all of these are the reason why you're having that experience.

EDIT #2: I was thinking maybe it's a linkage issue, but that would also impact 4th gear, which you make no mention of. So I'd say this isn't a linkage issue either.
Ya I have to be completely stopped to shift into 1st gear. I double clutch all the time, but usually don't rev match i'll give that a try - thanks man
Old 03-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #28
sk8manmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
Have you lubed the shift linkage underhood? I just sprayed mine last evening and now not only has the squeak stopped but WOW!, it shifts so, so much smoother now. Best $7.00 I've spent (spray Lithium grease, lifetime supply).

Here's the thread with instructions:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10644
I only thought that got rid of the squeaking, but if it also makes it shift smoother than i'm down. I'll pick up some lithium grease will i'm at the auto store getting a funnel to put my redline in.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:01 PM   #29
QR25DE_SpecV

Drives: 2006 Sentra SpecV
I notice that if you take more time with your double clutching, it's less effective. If you're doing it slowly, try speeding things up a little.

Quote:
It's not what you drive, but what drives you
QR25DE_SpecV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:43 AM   #30
sk8manmike

I'm very sorry it has taken me so long to respond to my own post - I've been very busy lately.

But good news, I put Redline MT-90 in and wow what a difference. Fixed all my shifting problems. Shifting now is very smooth - thanks for all your posts!
Old 05-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #31
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote