Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
jaris
I've made a post!

Drives: 09
Power lock/keyless entry issue

So I bought a 09 yaris sedan without the power package. For Christmas, my parents took it in to get an alarm/keyless entry. Everything works great, except that after I start the car, the doors lock...which is fine except that if someone wants to get in (after I have started the engine) I have to reach over and unlock the door. The alarm is a Viper, probably one of the more basic models. My questions are:

1. Is there any way to unlock the doors using the Viper remote because the unlock button doesn't do anything after I have started the engine?

2. Now that all 4 doors have power locks, it seems to me that it would be easier to install a power lock switch/button in the middle console by the e-brake. I have limited knowledge of cars, but I'm willing to dive in if anyone could help. What could I do to install the switch, also what would be the part # for the switch?

Thanks
jaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaris View Post
So I bought a 09 yaris sedan without the power package. For Christmas, my parents took it in to get an alarm/keyless entry. Everything works great, except that after I start the car, the doors lock...which is fine except that if someone wants to get in (after I have started the engine) I have to reach over and unlock the door. The alarm is a Viper, probably one of the more basic models. My questions are:

1. Is there any way to unlock the doors using the Viper remote because the unlock button doesn't do anything after I have started the engine?

2. Now that all 4 doors have power locks, it seems to me that it would be easier to install a power lock switch/button in the middle console by the e-brake. I have limited knowledge of cars, but I'm willing to dive in if anyone could help. What could I do to install the switch, also what would be the part # for the switch?

Thanks
What model of Viper is it? I would think that auto-lock is a programmable option, which you can change if you have the manual for the alarm.

The lock/unlock switch would just need to be an on-off-on rocker switch, tied to the lock and unlock wires (and their common) for the Viper.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaris View Post

Thanks
They should have put a 5 wire motor on your driver's door and 2 wire motors on the other 3 doors. A 5 wire motor allows you to push the manual lock button and it will lock/unlock all of the other doors. So in other words, there is no need for a switch because the door lock acts as a switch. I put a power lock kit on my 07 Sedan and it has the 5 wire motor.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
Palmer812

Drives: 2010 Meteorite Metallic LB
CT is right. On all Viper alarms the ignition controlled door locks can be programmed off. As far as what B stated about using a 5 wire on the driver's door it is possible bust most shops around where I live don't. They use 2 wire all the way around. In that case installing a switch is probably the best option.
Palmer812 is offline   Reply With Quote