Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-28-2011, 02:43 AM   #1
Pingouin

Drives: Yaris
Possibly stupid AC question

This year, I had to refill my AC, but they couldn't find any leak. They told me that if the previous owner didn't run the AC for a while and the fluid stagnated, it would be normal that the pressure dropped.
So, my question: if I turn my AC on, do I have to blow cold air (i.e. set the temperature knob on cold) for the coolant to circulate?
My guess is "no", but I'd rather check with someone better informed!
Thanks!
Pingouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
no, as long as the a/c button is pressed in and the little green light comes on the R134 refrigerant will circulate regardless of where you have the temperature set. Also, if you ever rotate the knob over to defrost settings you will automatically trigger the a/c compressor to help dehumidify.

I try to run my a/c once a week for 10 minutes or so year around to keep the system in trouble free condition and for 20 years I have yet to have an a/c problem with any of my vehicles. non-use is the death of an a/c system, the refrigerant is the life blood that lubricates the seals throughout.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Yes..... Any time you have your windshied defroster on combined with the fan, your AC is on even in the winter.

To the OP...... there must have been a leak somewhere.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
Pingouin

Drives: Yaris
Thanks guys, just as I thought!
Good to know about the defrost position, I didn't know that.

@RedRide: they tested my circuit before refilling (they always do apparently) and couldn't find a leak. I had it refilled in July and it still blows cold, so I don't think I have a leak. Also the mechanic said that for the A/C to stop working, I didn't need the whole refrigerant to be gone, the AC would stop working if the pressure was insufficient.
Pingouin is offline   Reply With Quote