Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-11-2007, 12:38 PM   #19
seanele

Drives: '07 Blazing Blue LB, '09 Jetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisTom73 View Post
It just seems that it costs a lot less to replace the brake pads than it does to replace a clutch..so why not just use the brakes, as they were designed, and leave it in neutral until you stop? Not seeing the advantage to the extra wear n tear...
exactly my point!!...
Old 08-12-2007, 01:11 AM   #20
flagmunkey

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to flagmunkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisTom73 View Post
It just seems that it costs a lot less to replace the brake pads than it does to replace a clutch..so why not just use the brakes, as they were designed, and leave it in neutral until you stop? Not seeing the advantage to the extra wear n tear...
i feel the same way. so i usually just ride the brakes.. unless its a huge hill and i need to go slow then i downshift or something. its fun though to see how long i can last in neutral without gettin honked at while going up and down hills

..of course this has nothing to do with how hard it is to push the shifter back into first..
flagmunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:24 AM   #21
caveatipse
Banned

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatboyjer View Post
okay well anyways, whenever i drive my car sometimes (like maybe about 30% of the time) when i'm trying to shift back into first (coming from nuetral or 2nd or w/e) its really hard to get back into first, like theres something blocking the way. does anyone else have this problem as well? i eventually get past it by just pushing a lil harder so i didn't pay any attention to it but one day when i was driving with the windows down and the music off i noticed it made a very faint whirring sound whenever it got stuck like that and i tried to push it a lil harder.

i have no idea, it doesn't sound bad or anything, it doesn't sound like a gear getting grinded but the thing about this problem is other times shifting back into 1st is like butter, its so smooth. so i have no idea whats going on, i'm just worried if it might become a problem later on

any input?
It is designed to do that to prevent you from downshitfting into 1st at too high a speed.
caveatipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:25 AM   #22
360cubes

Drives: 2000
Send a message via MSN to 360cubes
Double clutch all the time. If done properly, and fluid changes are kept up, the transmission should last forever.

In Ontario it's against the law to coast in neutral. If you ever get into an accident (for any reason) and you become incapacitated and the authorities find out that you weren't in gear (or in other words; you weren't in control), they can blame the accident on you! If you go for a road test, you are expected to stay in gear unless you're stopped or changing gears. You can't shift while making a turn either. Gotta love the laws.
360cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:47 PM   #23
SeaYa
Is about to 'SeaYa' later

Drives: 08 MT Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Sometimes instead of stopping dead and wasting momentum coming into a red light, I'll slow to 5 MPH or so and shift into first and apply enough gas to get into gear, then apply no gas. Try it and the car just crawls forward at idle. Light turns green and you just skipped a dead start in first. Yes, I'm this lazy.
I do this all the time too! Especially on roads where the lights are timed, and you know it's going to change soon...15, 10, 5 mph....AAAHHHHH to slow for 2nd....(tap, throw to 1st, showtime)...ahh, reminds me why I got an MT in the first place.
SeaYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:50 PM   #24
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
If you've ever been unlucky enough to accidentally shift into first gear while going entirely too fast to do so, I'm sorry. I did it once. The puff of smoke I threw out the tailpipe was epic... fail.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote