Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-06-2010, 10:31 PM   #19
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
I thought I had an electrical problem a while ago. Turned out I was fooled by a cheap Uncalibrated multimeter that wasn't reading right. Just sayin
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:52 PM   #20
beZzZ
Learning & Upgrading

Drives: 2006 Yaris 5 Dr HB Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by "G" View Post
Has anyone successfully replaced their regulator or removed the corrosion? It looks to be a $140 part > http://www.toyotapartszone.com/oem/t...060-21150.html
on the website, it stated the part is $431.97.

Also, the dealer place quote me a price of $700 to get it changed, a brand new one including labour.

Apparently, Adriaan told me 06-08 Yaris alternator more likely to have this problem. but the 09 one is improved and upgraded.
beZzZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:40 AM   #21
Adriaan
In between cities

Drives: 2006 yaris ce
Ok here the update of that electrical problem I had. Which is solved now.

The big problem is the regulator. If it is taken to a shop they can't pick it up since it isn't under the same load and condition as on your car. I've tried even when the problem turned constant. Toyota couldn't pick it up. Also the regulator is a dealer part only. Shop may say they have but the part alone from the dealer is 275$. So if the rebuilt it for 150$ they didn't change that part or got one from a scrap yard with less kilometres.
So here the fix. If you can get an alternator from a 2009 and up. There a few 09 in the scrap yards now check http://car-part.com. The 06 to 08 have this problem, and toyota know about it there a TSB out about. But they don't tell you the problems it causes if left unattened. The dealer will try to sell you one for 06 to 08 and say the 09 won't work but it does the internal design is different and improved. Get a used one i think new from the dealer is 800$. Once it has a year warrenty you'll be find. If the casing or pulley is damage on the 09 its ok, once the inside is good. The 06 casing and pulley are the only parts that will transfer.
Changing the regulator from a 09+ into your 06 alternator works fine and first but over loads the alternator wire to the battery terminal and melts it. It overcharge and undercharge the battery to the point your not sure which one is failing, and they both fail at once.
Here are some steps I did while i was installing the new alternator. Check your postive battery terminal harness. Make sure the clear fuse is still good i think it 60 & 120amp. Make sure the poles on the black plastic are clean for good contact. The side one goes to the starter and the back goes to the alternator. You'll see where the wire connects to those terminal a bit of the cooper wires are exposed, if you can try to cover off that exposed part. Either with the die electric grease, liquid electric tape, battery terminal grease, anti seize what ever you can get or have. If not over time the condensation will spread down those wire and cause problems later. Had that problem also! Remove battery terminal from postive pole and if you can unclip the back part where two plugs there a bunch of wires there and put die electric grease, alot of moisture gets collected there, and give false reading if it not getting a good connect. Which lead to spending on other stuff which isn't the problem.
Once that is good get the alternator and put the die electric grease again on the pole of the alternator and the wire that connects it. Hope that helps. Spent over 1000$ with new battery, wires, alternator etc.
Since then i've done 20000km with the 09 alternator and it runs great. Smoother than the original 06.
Hope that help everyone, This is based on my opinions, expernices and results.
Adriaan is offline   Reply With Quote