Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-30-2017, 11:03 PM   #1
Frank Necrosis

Drives: 2012 Yaris L MT
Water leak

Took my 2012 through the car wash. There was a fair amount of water running down the inside of the back window. There are other mater marks from other leaks.

I am fairly sure the leak is coming from the center brake light. The inner cover was wet and quite dirty when I removed it.

How does the brake light come out? Looks like 2 clips hold it in. Is there supposed to be a gasket between the light and hatch?
Frank Necrosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:14 PM   #2
Frank Necrosis

Drives: 2012 Yaris L MT
Follow up.

The third brake light pops out fairly easy. Just squeeze the large metal clips that wrap round the back side of the light. Squeeze them as close to the sheet metal as possible.

Once removed, the original gasket was completely destroyed. It was hard as a rock, smashed flat and full of cracks. I peeled it off, liberal amounts of goo gone were required to get the backing tape off.

Once all was cleaned up, I made a new gasket using household foam weather stripping. Had to some trimming here and there, but it is not leaking anymore.
Frank Necrosis is offline   Reply With Quote