Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #1
Rutherford

Drives: 2008 Yaris
New question evap canister replacement

Ignore my old thread below as I have updated it.
Bought me a used evap canister and installed it. Thanks so much for the help with the connections. Was not difficult once I knew how to get them apart. After about 180 miles my check engine light came on and I went by Advanced Auto to see what code had come up. It read a small evap leak. I reset it and drove another 300 miles and the check engine came on again, same code P0456 small evap leak. I also still have a problem where I cannot pump gas very fast when I fill it up. It seems like it is not able to relieve the air as quick as I am putting the gas in. When I took the old evap canister off I checked the filter box? in the line from the evap canister to the filler neck. I did not remove it but I disconnected both lines leading into it and attached some tubing so I could blow through from each direction to make sure there was no water in it. I shook it and did not hear anything. Did not see any moisture but it seemed like there was some restriction in it. I figure it may only pass air/fumes in one direction but it was difficult to get air through either way. Could this cause the problem with not being able to pump gas at a normal rate or may I still have an issue with the evap canister? It did pass the emission test here in NC when the light was off.
Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:46 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The air vent pipe that goes to the filler neck should pass air without a problem in both directions. If is does not, their may be a spider web or something like that partially blocking it.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:01 PM   #3
Rutherford

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Thanks!
Must be a big spiderSeems like alot of restriction in that little plastic box. I have a real problem with mice but I don't know how he would got in there. The little beggers have chewed every wire on my ignition switch for my kawasaki mule. I finally wrapped the wiring harness with double sided tape coated with black pepper. They don't like thatThansk for the help!
Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutherford View Post
Thanks!
Must be a big spiderSeems like alot of restriction in that little plastic box. I have a real problem with mice but I don't know how he would got in there. The little beggers have chewed every wire on my ignition switch for my kawasaki mule. I finally wrapped the wiring harness with double sided tape coated with black pepper. They don't like thatThansk for the help!
Do you park your Yaris outside? While rebuilding my latest Yaris, I figured out exactly how mice can get into a Yaris (nothing to do with the evap system, but a way that they can get into the cabin).