Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-03-2017, 02:42 AM   #1
fujiwaru

Drives: 08 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Made the switch from HS to STF

I've done autocross before in my stock Yaris sedan, competing in HS back in 2014/15. I've always wanted to mod my car but that wasn't an option due to college at the time. Now that I've graduated college and got me a job, I had time to finally work on my car

I took the advice from the veterans here at SCCA Hawaii of starting with tires and suspension. These are the current mods I have:

BC Racing Coilovers (5k springs front / 3k rear)
16" SSR Type F Wheels (thanks Terrorize!!)
Federal 595 Evo Tires (thanks Terrorize!!)
TRD Rear Sway Bar

I had some help from Tom from Armstrong Racing on his forum (which I didn't know he was also on here till recently ) with install & setting up my coilovers for street/track use.

I think my next mod will be a Schroth Rallye Racing Harneses. I hate bracing my leg up against the door and center console during a hard turn. I feel like it affects my times since I'm always adjusting myself to prior to the turn vs actually focusing on where the car should be. Some of the other guys in STF also race with a 4 pt harness and they've been putting some serious times.

I'll probably stay in STF for awhile. I don't have a big budget to spend modifying my car plus it's also my daily so I need it to be somewhat comfortable on the street.

Some pictures from my first autocross race in stf

fujiwaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
Nice. Next add some toe out up front that will give you more mid corner grip. I run .15 out on either side (whatever that equates to in inches i have no idea)

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:41 AM   #3
deng
Radical Dreamer

Drives: off of T9
Looking good! Mods are nice too. I figure you're running the wheels dual duty as daily and autox?
Old 12-05-2017, 12:39 AM   #4
fujiwaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post
Nice. Next add some toe out up front that will give you more mid corner grip. I run .15 out on either side (whatever that equates to in inches i have no idea)
I'll probably do this after I get an alignment later this month along with getting some camber bolts to run a little negative camber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deng View Post
Looking good! Mods are nice too. I figure you're running the wheels dual duty as daily and autox?
Yup!! I could put my oem wheels but I like how this combo looks on my car. I might try to run these till the end of the autocross season. Hopefully by then I can get new tires ready to mount.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:12 AM   #5
Dliverance

Drives: 2012 Black sand pearl <3
I don’t know if you’re still running but a free alternative to a racing seat and harness is to push the seatbelt into the retracting mechanism as far as you can and then pull it really quickly to engage the safety. I have done this with all of my stock cars until harnesses we’re installed. It’s a little bit of a hassle but it’ll hold you into your seat.
Dliverance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:55 AM   #6
fujiwaru

With the new season already underway, I decided to try and learn a little more about suspension tuning to try and dial in my car for autocross. I am by no means an expert in this so I hope to learn with the input of others who have more track experience compared to us with just a parking lot

According to the new SCCA rulebook, it looks like STF merged together with the other Street Touring groups into STS which means I have more competition compared to STF

Starting off the new season, I purchased a Tanabe strut tower bar just a few weeks ago. Install was quick and swapped the included hardware for grade 8 hardware from Home Depot. I haven't noticed much difference but the front does feel better on hard turns. I'll have to see if there is any difference at this upcoming autox.

Just yesterday I took my car to an auto shop to rent the lift to install some camber bolts on the front. I got these off Amazon and installed them pretty quick. Only problem I had was my camber readings were off due to the pavement not being level so as of right now, i'm estimating -1.5 camber on both sides. I also noticed that there is a considerable amount of toe in which I think is causing a rubbing noise whenever I turn the steering wheel to full lock

Kinda hard to tell but drivers side with (estimated) -1.5 camber vs passenger side stock settings. I'll have to double check again.

While I was at the shop, I did a brake check on my drums since they made this humming noise whenever I come to a stop. I cleaned as much brake dust as I could but I may need to replace the shoes.

Passenger Side

Thinnest amount of brake shoe material that I noticed on the passenger side, front shoe in the middle.

Driver side

Last edited by fujiwaru; 08-14-2018 at 02:15 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:09 PM   #7
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Cool deal. :)

I haven't autoX'd in some time. Sometimes I miss it.
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:06 AM   #8
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
Welcome to the world of STS

on my set up which is going to be different from your sedan I used pumped up rear tire pressures with an oversized rear sway and stock front to help get lift off rotation.
I also have a cusco under brace for the rear as well, and I would look at getting different spring rates depending how you like it to drive.

Coming up here I might have a set of rebuilt matrix/corolla brake, pads and rotors for sale if it would please the masses
Old 08-17-2018, 03:39 AM   #9
fujiwaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runethecursed View Post
Welcome to the world of STS

on my set up which is going to be different from your sedan I used pumped up rear tire pressures with an oversized rear sway and stock front to help get lift off rotation.
I also have a cusco under brace for the rear as well, and I would look at getting different spring rates depending how you like it to drive.

Coming up here I might have a set of rebuilt matrix/corolla brake, pads and rotors for sale if it would please the masses
I've been thinking of getting stiffer springs after determining last autox season that they were too soft even with the damping maxed out front/rear, just wasn't sure what rates would be okay for track/daily.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:13 PM   #10
fujiwaru

Finally was able to attend a autocross race this past weekend after missing the first few of the new season due to work. Took it easy since I made some changes to camber and toe. I will need to get new tires soon, hopefully before next year.

https://youtu.be/zkeDCiqQfQ4