Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-29-2007, 02:42 AM   #1
tealio

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Is worth it to replace only front and rear speakers?

I have had a full system before, but with my sedan that has the integrated sound system I want to stay as simple as possible.

Would anyone have any opinion on if it would even be worth it to just change out the front and rear speakers and leave everything else stock?

I know it won't make that much difference, I am just looking for a little better sound and the longevity of aftermarket speakers, since I'm sure the paper stock ones won't be bumpin for long.

Also, does anyone that has already replaced their speakers noticed what ohm and power handling the stock ones say on them? I would like to know so I don't buy too nice of speakers that wouldn't even be powered by the stock head unit.

Thanks!!
tealio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
If you saw the magnets you will change them quick. Take a look in the manual, I remember seeing info on the ohms and power ratings. IMO don't spend to much, but there are alot of decent after market speakers you can get without spending big cash.
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 01:56 PM   #3
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
In most situations no.

Remember the puny power we are dealing with here, big speakers will require big power to make them worth it... otherwise the swap will yield improved quality, but much less output. Been there done that in many a car.

I would at *least* upgrade the factory head unit before swapping speakers... but aftermarket speakers are 99.9% of the time going to GREATLY benefit from an amp.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:56 PM   #4
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrman View Post
In most situations no.

Remember the puny power we are dealing with here, big speakers will require big power to make them worth it... otherwise the swap will yield improved quality, but much less output. Been there done that in many a car.

I would at *least* upgrade the factory head unit before swapping speakers... but aftermarket speakers are 99.9% of the time going to GREATLY benefit from an amp.
yea listen to him.....look at his nickname
Old 04-30-2007, 11:23 AM   #5
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
actually no. the fujitsuTen player delivers really good sound quality for its power.

it's enough for many aftermarket speakers out there. i have myself put on some infinity kappa components with the stock unit and it did a good job.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:52 PM   #6
yv1650c

Drives: Japanese 8T1 Yaris Hatchback
so spkrman, if i install aftermarket pioneer kevlar one, there isn't enought power just to get a better sound quality, I believe my car doesn't have tweeters, I believe installing Aftermarket speakers I will get better sound..
I've neever seen my speaker connectors, but should I cut the oem wiring harnness to get the new pioneers connected? or there are any adaptor?.. Otherway are the rear of the hatch, in the doors, if you know somebody who installed rear 6.5"??
yv1650c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:01 PM   #7
spkrman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
actually no. the fujitsuTen player delivers really good sound quality for its power.

it's enough for many aftermarket speakers out there. i have myself put on some infinity kappa components with the stock unit and it did a good job.
The seperate tweeter made the difference... but other than that, you really need more power to make the swap worth it... you can add a tweeter to the stocker and get pretty good output until you upgrade to an amp.

If I had to get one at a time, I'd get the amp first, then swap out the speakers... but thats me :)
Old 05-01-2007, 10:08 PM   #8
yv1650c

so, you recommend going first with an amp?, where can i install an amp? and does it sound good with the oem-adapter to RCA ouputs?
Old 05-02-2007, 11:15 AM   #9
IllusionX

Quote:
The seperate tweeter made the difference... but other than that, you really need more power to make the swap worth it... you can add a tweeter to the stocker and get pretty good output until you upgrade to an amp.

If I had to get one at a time, I'd get the amp first, then swap out the speakers... but thats me :)
nah, it's plenty with the OEM headunit. but it does depend what speakers you are using.
the infinity kappa were well good enough with the oem deck.

now if you're going for higher end speakers... then it's another story.
though, i'm not the guy who pays music out loud. i was reading about someone saying the oem speakers were not loud enough. (ya right)
Old 05-02-2007, 05:21 PM   #10
boris13

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback, 5-speed
The OEM head unit doesn't sound too bad to me. I'm thinking of keeping it (or getting the Canadian Yaris RS 6-disc changer/receiver) and using Pioneer Premier TS-D701P 2-way speakers in the front and Pioneer TS-A1781R 4-way speakers in the rear. Both speaker models are oversize (6 3/4") and both are rated for a sensitivity of 91dB (so I'm thinking that the OEM unit's power should be enough to drive them).

Any thoughts? I'm looking for a low-cost upgrade that will give me a fuller sound, more clarity, and a lot more bass without adding a thumping subwoofer.
'07 3-door Meteorite Metallic Liftback: manual transmission, power package, 60/40 split fold-flat rear seat, ABS, side airbags, keyless entry, fog lights, 7-spoke 15" Toyota alloys, cruise control, TRD sway bar.
boris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:09 AM   #11
spkrman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yv1650c View Post
so, you recommend going first with an amp?, where can i install an amp? and does it sound good with the oem-adapter to RCA ouputs?
will sound fine, albeit not as good as with a new cd player.

mounted in the spare compartment is probably the easiest place, although if the amp tends to run hot it may overheat in there.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:13 AM   #12
spkrman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris13 View Post
The OEM head unit doesn't sound too bad to me. I'm thinking of keeping it (or getting the Canadian Yaris RS 6-disc changer/receiver) and using Pioneer Premier TS-D701P 2-way speakers in the front and Pioneer TS-A1781R 4-way speakers in the rear. Both speaker models are oversize (6 3/4") and both are rated for a sensitivity of 91dB (so I'm thinking that the OEM unit's power should be enough to drive them).

Any thoughts? I'm looking for a low-cost upgrade that will give me a fuller sound, more clarity, and a lot more bass without adding a thumping subwoofer.
Any improvement in bass in almost always met with a decrease in output... I only say almost because I'm sure there is an exception to the rule somewhere, but I've never seen it!

The addition of the bright pioneer tweeters will give a sense of "clarity" (although they really aren't "clean" by any means), but I suspect bass output wont increase much if at all.

There are speakers capable of giving a low end similar to a subwoofer, but all of them will require an amp.

Your much better off adding a set of tweeters to the stock setup, and mounting on the A pillar, it'll yield more of an overall improvement than anything you can do at this point, short of adding an amp.

If you can deal with less output, go for a lower end componenet set (as opposed to the kappas listed above, the reference series would be a better choice)... will definitely yield improved quality across the board.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:55 PM   #13
yv1650c

I believe too the OEM deck, has very good sound (to me), but I want more clarity, wich would be the best Remplacement Speaker without adding an amp?.. Mb quart coax? I want a very good brand!!! (i was thinking on pioneer but, you said it's bad?

thank you!
Old 05-03-2007, 03:16 PM   #14
boris13

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback, 5-speed
Quote:
Any improvement in bass in almost always met with a decrease in output... I only say almost because I'm sure there is an exception to the rule somewhere, but I've never seen it!

The addition of the bright pioneer tweeters will give a sense of "clarity" (although they really aren't "clean" by any means), but I suspect bass output wont increase much if at all.

There are speakers capable of giving a low end similar to a subwoofer, but all of them will require an amp.

Your much better off adding a set of tweeters to the stock setup, and mounting on the A pillar, it'll yield more of an overall improvement than anything you can do at this point, short of adding an amp.

If you can deal with less output, go for a lower end componenet set (as opposed to the kappas listed above, the reference series would be a better choice)... will definitely yield improved quality across the board.
So, let's say I go ahead and add a small amp (I guess I'd need to hook up a line-out converter or something like that, right?) to the system. Would that drive the speakers better and add some bass? What's your opinion of the Pioneer Premier speakers?

I'd also be interested in what speakers you feel would add low end similar to a subwoofer (I've pretty much decided against adding a sub; I need the room in the back for my dogs). I'm looking to invest $500-700 here, including installation. I should also mention that most of the music I'll be playing is blues, '50s-'60s R&B, and early/classic rock. So I don't need hip-hop style bass thump.
'07 3-door Meteorite Metallic Liftback: manual transmission, power package, 60/40 split fold-flat rear seat, ABS, side airbags, keyless entry, fog lights, 7-spoke 15" Toyota alloys, cruise control, TRD sway bar.
boris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:08 PM   #15
IllusionX

You will not add more bass with any infinity reference speakers. (just in reply to spkrman). the infinity kappa series (not kappa perfect) does not required that much power to drive.
Now, i suggest not buying infinity kappa, because they run on 2ohm. BUT, fujitsuten decks are 2ohm stable.

on the other hand.. i've also used Cerwin Vega HED coaxial speakers with the OEM deck.. which delivered fairly decent sound quality.

If you ask me. i say the pioneers you are planning to buy is plenty for you. More bass than stock? not likely.

the echo hatchback does not have rear speakers.. so there wasn't any place to install speakers near the side windows in the rear. so i put them on the rear deck/cover. And i only managed to get a fairly amout of bass that way.

here's a pic of my infinity kappa 652.5i on the rear deck

Edit: the OEM headunit power output is 17.5w per channel in 4ohm, max 40w x4 for the yaris.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:39 PM   #16
seriousfun

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback Black
Speakers are by far the most important part of any audio system.

All else equal, an upgrade to better 6.5" component or coax speakers will be something you can hear immediately, within the limitiations of the head unit. Quart, Infinity, whatever, do some listening and choose what sounds good.

More power can't hurt - it will increase headroom, so you can play louder with less distortion. A subwoofer - even an under-the-seat Kenwood KSC-SW1 - will relieve the main speakers from some of their burdon and let them sound better.
seriousfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:04 PM   #17
spkrman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris13 View Post
So, let's say I go ahead and add a small amp (I guess I'd need to hook up a line-out converter or something like that, right?) to the system. Would that drive the speakers better and add some bass? What's your opinion of the Pioneer Premier speakers?

I'd also be interested in what speakers you feel would add low end similar to a subwoofer (I've pretty much decided against adding a sub; I need the room in the back for my dogs). I'm looking to invest $500-700 here, including installation. I should also mention that most of the music I'll be playing is blues, '50s-'60s R&B, and early/classic rock. So I don't need hip-hop style bass thump.
I would hit up your local reliable audio shop, and let them take care of you. Best buy/circuit city/etc need not apply, tweeter is about as good as it gets with big chains.

You should be able to accomplish your goal within that budget - put your $ into a quality 2 channel amp and quality front components, instead of a 4 channel and all new speakers and you will get the sound you desire :)
Old 05-04-2007, 04:06 PM   #18
spkrman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousfun View Post
Speakers are by far the most important part of any audio system.

All else equal, an upgrade to better 6.5" component or coax speakers will be something you can hear immediately, within the limitiations of the head unit. Quart, Infinity, whatever, do some listening and choose what sounds good.

More power can't hurt - it will increase headroom, so you can play louder with less distortion. A subwoofer - even an under-the-seat Kenwood KSC-SW1 - will relieve the main speakers from some of their burdon and let them sound better.

Even with just a new radio with a nice EQ + an amp I'd say the stock speakers would outshine most drop-in installs of even components.

Of course better speakers would be improved, but install is always the key :)