Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
RC yaris project

ok, So after seeing that RC yaris that was posted a couple weeks ago, I HAD TO GET ONE.. I always wanted to get into the RC game but never liked any of the typical skins. Now I got a yaris shell and want to pull the trigger on this and have a cheaper hobby the fiance is more willing to let me buy things for, before the marriage, lol.

ANYWHO!, I need some help though. Bought this and didnt realize its a clear shell, so I dont know where to start. Any help is appreciated. What paint do I use to paint this plastic? Any websites that help on a newbie like me to start with. Some links to vendors that sell the motorized base would be awesome.

I would like to keep this car legit as a FWD RC but I dont know if they exist. But I am also ok with making this one of those RWD drifter RC's. Here are the pics that came out of the box.

ALSO, can someone tell me what Scale this is? the wheel base from center of front wheel to rear wheel is 8 1/2 inches and 7 inches wide

Last edited by ilikerice; 04-21-2012 at 10:26 AM.
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
Killchain

Drives: '10 Yaris LB Polar White
I will be so jealous when its done...................
Killchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
That looks to be 1/10 scale which is going to be your most common size in RC.

I have been in this hobby for years and absolutely love it. I might steal your idea and get a yaris body for mine as well. I have a HPI rs4 which is an electric 1/10 scale FWD road car that I built from the ground up including the 2 speed transmission. I also have a HPI Ntro MT which is a 1/10 4WD gas powered stadium truck with intake/exhaust and larger engine. That thing is a screamer and will climb easily to 35-45 mph or more.

If you are looking into a fun hobby this is deff going to be one. I happen to think HPI products are some of the best out there. You will find that they are more expensive than a lot of other brands out there but the quality and refinemnet is top notch. Do you know if you are going to go gas or eletric for the car? Do you already have a car? I prefer gas because of the speed/power/sound but there is more maint required. Nitro is not that cheap considering it is usually a combination of 70-80% gasoline and 20-30% nitrous oxide. keeping up with glow plugs, cleaning engine and frame, overall maintenance and having to buy things like starters (unless pull cord) can add to the overall price. Expect a new gas powered vehicle with all required to get you going to run you close to 400-500.

As far as painting is concerned, airbrushing is going to come out the best but can be overkill. I just buy the basic rattle can or tub of acrylic paint and use either brush or just direct spray depending on the design. I would search for a hobby store in your area and they will direct you to a good brand. The paint is quite cheap too. No primer or anything needed but be sure to wash the body thuroughly and dry before painting. Apply coat by coat and let each sit and dry. 3-5 coats is plenty. Not sure if this is obvious for everyone so ill mention it, make sure you're painting the inside of the shell. Also tape off the windows/lights for that more realistic look depending on the stickers you got with it.

Sorry if I rambled I got excited seeing someone else getting into RC cars. LMK if you need any other info.

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Cool. Will be watching.

What type of a job is it to cut the shell away from the mold flange? Scary, or relatively easy?
Old 04-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
Form>Function

Extremely easy. They make the shells very flexible and movable so the paint won't chip away when flexed which also makes the shell easy to cut without having to worry about cracking/fraying. Household scissors do fine.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
ilikerice

Yes. Was thinking about geting an hpi one off ebay and tossing the shell. I would like to do electric motor for the maint and quietness. Been watching videos. Thats awesome ur into this also. I will need all the help. Found a mercedes one on ebay for buy it now 175. I may jump on that. I just need a starting point. I did not think about painting the inside. Dur.

In the first pic. Whats that tan soft stuff on the left. Where do i put that at. Its like a sticker but soft
Old 04-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
Form>Function

I would keep the shell it would be awesome to have a Yaris lol. I actually have been considering dropping my electric one and focusing all my attention on the truck so if you are interested in a used electric road car needing maybe only some missing screws and hardly any work I would be willing to work something out with you.

As for the tan stuff I cannot tell the cutout shape it just looks like a sheet on my screen but it could be to mask the windows during painting. A lot of higher quality bodies come with pre cut masks.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
ilikerice

Yea. I meant ill ditch the mercedes and keep the yaris. Ur road car is like the drifter one or is it the fwd?
Old 04-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #9
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
My drifting RC is 4WD and is is a Solara faasst motherfucker
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
Form>Function

Its not one of the drift ones but I cant remember if it was AWD or FWD

Old 04-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #11
ilikerice

I have decided to go with either the hpi 'Switch' thats the fwd beginner or sprint 2 awd drifter. The Switch is 200 new from thier website. Thoughts?
Old 04-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #12
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Ill sell you my RC with everything $150 shipped lmao
Old 04-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #13
Form>Function

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
I have decided to go with either the hpi 'Switch' thats the fwd beginner or sprint 2 awd drifter. The Switch is 200 new from thier website. Thoughts?
I am looking at it right now. It is a great package for 200. To get a car/radio/speed control/motor/battery/and charger is very rare, even in an RTR kit. I dont know if you saw but this is not the standard size RC car this is a micro car so it most likely will not fit the body you have. I would measure the body and ensure it fits the Switch.

It looks like they did away with any anodized metals and went complete plastic which saves weight and costs, just be carefule hitting anything it may be a total wreck lol

Old 04-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
ilikerice

mmm.. good point..

@jumpmanyaris, if you are for real, I am interested. Could you post a couple pictures of it? could you measure the wheel base and the distance between the towers where the body is pined in. I got small pilot holes, looks like where im suppose to drill my holes for the chassis. I think my main concern is could the back 2 towers be adjust to fit a hatch?
Old 04-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #15
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

I don't have pictures but I could take some later on or tomorrow mean while here it is on HPI web.

http://www.nitrorcx.com/hpi-gas-rs4-...rer-10072.html
http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/10071/
Old 04-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #16
ilikerice

Sweet. But i think that is too much power. Lol. Also i dont think the rear will be tall enough to fit the hatch. Actually thinking that none of the drifter chassis will fit a hatch. The Switch xB is the only one i see that i maybe be able to use.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #17
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Lol yup I think this thing is faster than my Yaris haha
Old 04-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #18
ilikerice

Lol