Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #1
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
Get rid of the vertigo stock susp. w/out lowering much

After driving a koni'ed '93 civic for 10 years my new Yaris with its stock mushy bouncy suspension gives me vertigo. Literally sea-sick. Now the Civic was lowered too much to be practical, I couldn't get her up the incline to my garage and I couldn't drive her in the snow.

I like a tight harsh kidney jarring go-cart track suspension, just can't take the bouncy "at sea" suspension Toyota came up with.

I need to drive this neat little Yaris in the snow so I really don't want to lower her much.

Are there any matched spring/shock packages that have just a minimal lowering but get rid of the bouncy bounce?
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
fuji

Drives: Polar White Yaris HB
Probably the cheapest way would be just to change you shocks while retaining your stock springs.

Probably the best solution would be a fully adjustable coilover. Just make sure the dampening can be adjusted.
fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
For the smallest drop and improved handling you are looking for the TRD shocks and springs combo. Plus the TRD rear sway bar. That should make you happy.

A cheaper alternative for that set up would be:

Tokico HPS (Blues) + Tanabe NF springs + Ultra rear sway Bar

Also, pick up a set of front camber bolts. For like $20 bucks those would allow you to run a little bit of negative camber up front. And will improve your handling with minimal compromise on the tire wear
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
First, add at TRD swaybar.
You'll be shocked at the improvement in both handling and road manners with no noticable ride quality sacrifice and stock ride height. I had mine in four about a month prior to installing the balance of the TRD suspension components.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
I think I am going to sell my old civic and buy the TRD suspension, sounds like it is much firmer than stock. The blue shocks look like a nice way to save $100 but I like the idea of TRD's toyota engineering.

Another question, would it be possible to find a winter tire size for the 15" steelies that would effectively raise the vehicle back up to stock heigth ( with the TRD springs) ?
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I think I am going to sell my old civic and buy the TRD suspension, sounds like it is much firmer than stock. The blue shocks look like a nice way to save $100 but I like the idea of TRD's toyota engineering.

Another question, would it be possible to find a winter tire size for the 15" steelies that would effectively raise the vehicle back up to stock heigth ( with the TRD springs) ?
The TRD spring/shock combo offers quite a bit stiffer ride. It's far, far from stock ride comfort. That said, it rails the turns which is what I like.

Regarding taller winter boots. You may find wheelwell clearance issues in the front. I have shorter than stock snows and still find the front wheelwells get packed with snow/slush/ice quite quickly. I'll be happier next winter just finding some snow's that bring it up to stock tire diameter, just for the ground clearance. My front lip should get a commission from the city for helping plow the streets.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote