Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Tesco Horse Meat Scandal

In the UK, some supermarkets have admitted that there is horse meat in their
home cooked burgers.

Even places like Burger King have had to admit that there are small amounts of
horse meat in their burgers.

Tesco is a big supermarket chain in the UK.
Within hours of the news that Tesco's 'all beef hamburgers' contained 30% horse meat, these jokes hit the internet

“I'm so hungry, I could eat a horse..... I guess Tesco just listened!

Anyone want a burger from Tesco? Yay or neigh?

Not entirely sure how Tesco are going to get over this hurdle.

Waitress in Tesco asked if I wanted anything on my Burger.
So I had £5 each way!

Had some burgers from Tesco for my tea last night ...
I still have a bit between my teeth.

A woman has been taken into hospital after eating horse meat burgers from Tesco.
Her condition is said to be stable.

Tesco are now testing all their vegetarian burgers for traces of unicorn

"I've just checked the Tesco burgers in my freezer ... AND THEY'RE OFF"

Tesco now forced to deny presence of zebra in burgers,
as shoppers confuse barcodes for serving suggestions.

Said to the missus, These Tesco burgers give me the trots....

"To beef or not to beef, that is equestrian".....

A cow walks into a bar.
Barman says, "Why the long face?"
Cow says "Illegal ingredients, coming over here stealing our jobs!"

I hear the smaller version of those Tesco burgers make great horse d'oeuvres.

These Tesco burger jokes are going on a bit....
Talk about flogging a dead horse!

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
and yet, in France and other european countries, a steak is usually not cow, but horse or rabbit or who knows what.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
DeathBeard

Drives: 2010 Yaris S
At least they admitted to it. In the United States big agro business works in the govt and makes laws that serve their interests, at the expense of the sheeple.

Proverbs 16:9
DeathBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBeard View Post
In the United States big agro business works in the govt and makes laws that serve their interests, at the expense of the sheeple.
^^^^^This. If anyone doubts this, read the book "Diet For a Small Planet". For as long as the content of that book stays in the forefront of your mind, you won't want to eat meat in the U.S. (unless it was 'raised' using the methods used by Nieman Ranch in California and others of their ilk (who mostly, if not wholly, started after "Diet For a Small Planet" was written)). This late 20th century book had a stronger effect on me than Upton Sinclair's early 20th century novel "The Jungle" did while reading it as a kid.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBeard View Post
In the United States big agro business works in the govt and makes laws that serve their interests, at the expense of the sheeple.
^^^^^This. If anyone doubts this, read the book "Diet For a Small Planet". For as long as the content of that book stays in the forefront of your mind, you won't want to eat meat in the U.S. (unless it was 'raised' using the methods used by Nieman Ranch in California and others of their ilk (who mostly, if not wholly, started after "Diet For a Small Planet" was written)). This late 20th century book had a stronger effect on me than Upton Sinclair's early 20th century novel "The Jungle" did when reading it as a kid.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

so are you saying you are a vegetarian? I just couldn't do that. I don't care what they do, it tastes wonderful and i am still alive.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
DeathBeard

Interesting logic

Old 02-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
so are you saying you are a vegetarian? I just couldn't do that. I don't care what they do, it tastes wonderful and i am still alive.
I'm no vego.

If I order beef. I expect beef. I would not expect to be served Mr Ed's descendants instead.

If it wasn't such a big deal why not just label it as Horse meat or Contains Horse meat?

Imagine turning up to the gas station, you fill pick up the regular nozzle, put it in your cars tank and fill up. Go in and pay. Come out, go to drive off and your car dies because it's diesel........

Your logic is like politician logic....... Your not running for office are you?

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
No, but I wouldn't say I eat it routinely either. After reading "Diet For a Small Planet" I didn't eat any meat for a couple of years.

If I'm dining at a restaurant in the Bay Area when visiting family, and one of the selections on the menu includes Nieman Ranch beef, I will always select that item...even if the restaurant is known for some completely unrelated item. If a selection includes Nieman Ranch beef, that source will always be listed on the menu.

I'm curious re the practices/laws/regulations re meat in other industrialized countries.....better re content allowed?....better sanitary practices?.....more practices in place that benefit consumers and are followed religiously?

I hadn't really thought about any of that for quite a while, and then Mad Dog's post popped up.

Another related bit of information just popped into my head. A friend of mine here in Texas who, unlike me, is an 'Ugly Texan' (he wants to change lots of things to make it like California (he's also a native Californian...and has been here twice as long as I have)) told me that Texas is much less strict (when compared to California) re what they allow in ground beef. He said this is all in the name of cutting costs and that most Texans are oblivious to this. He doesn't like it. He thinks this is wrong.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAD DOG* View Post

If it wasn't such a big deal why not just label it as Horse meat or Contains Horse meat?
Because that makes too much sense, and is too honorable. The relationship between the Swedish government and the population comes to mind. It is a little too close for my taste, but at least it is something I can respect from the government side of the equation. Overall, the government really cares about protecting consumers and cares about making things as egalitarian as possible. It isn't just lip service. IMO, many people in the current administration here in the U.S. might have some of the same ideas, but it is just lip service...and political expediency. They don't really give a tinker's damn about the populace.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:41 PM   #11
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
I'm no vego.

If I order beef. I expect beef. I would not expect to be served Mr Ed's descendants instead.

Imagine turning up to the gas station, you fill pick up the regular nozzle, put it in your cars tank and fill up. Go in and pay. Come out, go to drive off and your car dies because it's diesel........

no, i was responding to nookandcrannycar's post and DeathBeard's comments.

I don't want to eat horse or anything like that either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
No, but I wouldn't say I eat it routinely either. After reading "Diet For a Small Planet" I didn't eat any meat for a couple of years.

If I'm dining at a restaurant in the Bay Area when visiting family, and one of the selections on the menu includes Nieman Ranch beef, I will always select that item...even if the restaurant is known for some completely unrelated item. If a selection includes Nieman Ranch beef, that source will always be listed on the menu.

I'm curious re the practices/laws/regulations re meat in other industrialized countries.....better re content allowed?....better sanitary practices?.....more practices in place that benefit consumers and are followed religiously?

I hadn't really thought about any of that for quite a while, and then Mad Dog's post popped up.

Another related bit of information just popped into my head. A friend of mine here in Texas who, unlike me, is an 'Ugly Texan' (he wants to change lots of things to make it like California (he's also a native Californian...and has been here twice as long as I have)) told me that Texas is much less strict (when compared to California) re what they allow in ground beef. He said this is all in the name of cutting costs and that most Texans are oblivious to this. He doesn't like it. He thinks this is wrong.
I don't know what that book says. I do know that there are many people that overreact to what any industry does in this country.

If you are worried about that, you really need to read up on Halal (Muslim) & Kosher ( Jewish) food preparation practices.

But I'm pretty sure the USA has among the best safety and food standards in the world. Besides Japan, but only because the Japanese love to eat their fish raw, and preparation for that takes amazing above the pale dedication to make sure you don't murder your consumers. Beyond that I would assume most of the first world countries are about the same.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:42 PM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Quote:

I don't think Why? is running for office, he just lives in a blue, liberal state .
Old 02-19-2013, 12:06 AM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:

I don't know what that book says. I do know that there are many people that overreact to what any industry does in this country.
When I was in high school I was the clean up person in the meat department at a local gourmet grocer for about a year. One of the butchers was Canadian and was always going on and on about how dirty San Francisco was in every conceivable way when compared to his native Vancouver and how Canadian sanitation practices were superior (at that time) to U.S. practices.

I later read "Diet for a Small Planet" (in the 1990s) and I believe that is also when it was written. I agree with you re lots of people overreacting to the practices in different industries in the U.S., but I don't think you'd feel that way if you read "Diet for a Small Planet".

U.S. practices, attitudes, and regulations in meat and related industries MAY have changed a lot since then, but I have my doubts.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:11 AM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Quote:

It's nice to know that Australians can have the same cynicism toward their politicians that many U.S. citizens do .
Old 02-19-2013, 02:09 AM   #15
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
One really must laugh at USDA's hypocrisy! They are so busy testing Canadian beef that they forget about the sins recorded by outfits like "Sixty Minutes" and others. Personally, I eat very little meat, and I only enjoy it if the recipe is interesting enough. I would pass up the best steak for a plateful of poached scallops or garlic prawns. I was raised on beef (my old man wouldn't eat anything else!), but my palate no longer is pleased by it. By the way, I was vegetarian for a few years, but that was before good restaurants accepted the practice and now prepared veggies properly.

And for why?'s comment about not being able to go meatless, I went to a restaurant 4 or 5 times before I realised it was Vegetarian; they had a lasagna that was to die for!!
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:09 AM   #16
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
After the Chinese take all our jobs we wont have any money so we will no longer be any use to the Chinese as a market for their products.

However the Rich in this country will still have to live in the lifestyle they are accustomed to.

So they will be offering FREE cruises on specially built cruise ships to China. Millions of people will go to China.

As the only thing the mass of common people are worth anymore.

FOOD.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #17
DeathBeard

Interesting meat facts:

1) Europe the source of the scandal will not even import US meat, in fact it is banned.
2)Cows are fed genetically modified corn, not grass. Cows were never meant to eat corn.
3) Cows are pumped full of bgh bovine growth hormone. Research what this does not only to the cow, but to us after we consume it.
4) Cows are routinely fed other cow carcass (mad cow) and live in there own feces, big agro counters this with tons of antibiotics. As a result we have new super viruses that cannot be countered.
5) Only 10% of ground meat comes from the US, the majority is comprised of meat from China, where there is no EPA oversight.
6) Meat industry uses "glue" to join parts of a cow to make appear like a continuous piece of meat.
7) Big agro is one of the most powerful lobbies in Washington that routinely places their puppets in govt.
8) soy and spirulina actually have more protein than meat, despite how you have been brainwashed.

We eat more "meat" in the USA than any other country in the world and have more cancer than the rest of the world combined, don't think that's a coincidence.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #18
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
If that not bad enough 110 million in the US have STD....