Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-12-2009, 04:39 AM   #1
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
End of the whole EG Civic vs Yaris Saga

I finally got the susupension Yaris should have out out the factory:

1. Scian 15x6 allloy rims
2. Champiro 329 cheap summer tires
3. TRD sway bar
4. TRD Springs
5 Tokico Blue SHocks

I'm not going to say that it is better than the Koni suspension EG civic, the ass end sets to high and it has more over steer. It is however a huge improvement over the stock Yaris, it is so well put together it feels like a toyota technician installed it (i did the install), It is a very firm suspension, I have yet to push it to lose grip as I am afraid how it would react. With the Civic if you lose grip it was predicable and recoverable. The best part is all the components go on easily like I'm talking stock fitment. The Koni Civic was alsways plaiged with funny noises and odd thumps, none of this with the TRD Yaris.

I can say that I am just has happy driving the new Yaris as I was the 150k mi 16 year old civic, much happier.

So the big question is what do I add to the Yaris next, I have planned OEM cruise, OEM fogs, Tasteful tach, any other chassis stiffeners worth their cost?
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:47 AM   #2
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
End of the whole EG Civic vs Yaris Saga
Thank you!
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:05 AM   #3
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
Quote:
I finally got the susupension Yaris should have out out the factory:

1. Scian 15x6 allloy rims
2. Champiro 329 cheap summer tires
3. TRD sway bar
4. TRD Springs
5 Tokico Blue SHocks

I'm not going to say that it is better than the Koni suspension EG civic, the ass end sets to high and it has more over steer. It is however a huge improvement over the stock Yaris, it is so well put together it feels like a toyota technician installed it (i did the install), It is a very firm suspension, I have yet to push it to lose grip as I am afraid how it would react. With the Civic if you lose grip it was predicable and recoverable. The best part is all the components go on easily like I'm talking stock fitment. The Koni Civic was alsways plaiged with funny noises and odd thumps, none of this with the TRD Yaris.

I can say that I am just has happy driving the new Yaris as I was the 150k mi 16 year old civic, much happier.

So the big question is what do I add to the Yaris next, I have planned OEM cruise, OEM fogs, Tasteful tach, any other chassis stiffeners worth their cost?
if you are really wanting to improve your handling, the best place to start is tires. get another set of wheels and a good set of sticky tires. that will do WAY more than any brace could.
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kngrsll View Post
if you are really wanting to improve your handling, the best place to start is tires. get another set of wheels and a good set of sticky tires. that will do WAY more than any brace could.
I would agree but these cheap Champiro's have yet to break loose as hard has I have tried. They are sticky tires for the money.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:24 AM   #5
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Thank you!
come on now it made for a interesting read....
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #6
regal

Thats all it was meant to be an interesting read, isn't that what these forums are about?
Old 05-12-2009, 12:37 PM   #7
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
how are the Tokicos, as in riding and performing? I have a set and trying to get the install done here very soon. The reason I ask is I have some jerk I know that keeps giving me a hard time, trying to tell me the Tokicos are no better or BARELY better than the OEM shocks. Basically telling me they are garbage and I wasted my money.

I'd like your opinion on how they work for you
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
. The reason I ask is I have some jerk I know that keeps giving me a hard time, trying to tell me the Tokicos are no better or BARELY better than the OEM shocks. Basically telling me they are garbage and I wasted my money.

he's kinda right. those tokico's might just be unbadged yaris stock shocks. the NEW 2009 rav4 sport v6 has TOKICO BLUES on them from factory.....
Old 05-12-2009, 12:41 PM   #9
regal

The Tokico blues are 100% stiffer than stock, no comparisom
Old 05-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #10
regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKLAND TOYOTA View Post
he's kinda right. those tokico's might just be unbadged yaris stock shocks. the NEW 2009 rav4 sport v6 has TOKICO BLUES on them from factory.....
No way, difference is very noticeable
Old 05-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #11
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
how are the Tokicos, as in riding and performing? I have a set and trying to get the install done here very soon. The reason I ask is I have some jerk I know that keeps giving me a hard time, trying to tell me the Tokicos are no better or BARELY better than the OEM shocks. Basically telling me they are garbage and I wasted my money.

tokico does manufactur alot of stock shocks. this car has pathetic stock dampers though, so the blues are really good upgrade. on a car with very good dampers stock (ie Honda S2000), most shocks are a downgrade (koni yellows). again it all depends on the car...
Old 05-12-2009, 01:28 PM   #12
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
You have the most significant mods for the Yaris... Good to see that you take your time to read on the forum and made some informed decisions. Good for you.

Think about it this way... leaving expensive coilovers aside you probably are 80% done with your current suspension mods. Other bracing that you could add will bring little improvement in comparison to what you already have. I will stay there for a while and invest on that "tasteful' tach... or perhaps a CAI

I agree with the previous comments about the tires... you could do much better than those champiros and still manage no to spend a lot more. The rims are fine... you can fit 195/55/15 tires on those Scion rims... and that is all you will need.

You mentioned about the car having a little more over steer.... but that is not a bad thing imho. If you know what your doing behind the wheel... I much rather that little over steer on the Yaris than the ton of under steer that the car has on its stock form.

The rear swaybar contributed a good deal on the balance switch from under to over steer....

Yo also mentioned you are a little worried about how the Yaris will react when it looses grip.... well, the tires play a major role in the way a car reacts when it looses traction.... a good tire will let you know when its about to loose grip.... and then it will break loose gradually.... when other tires will hold the car and then loose grip all of the sudden... Not a good thing.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #13
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Quote:
No way, difference is very noticeable
NO WAY to what statement?

here's an example for you: on my del sol(bought new) i ran 2 inch springs with stock stuts and they lasted me 8 months.The yaris with TEIN's and stock struts are still going strong after 2 1/2 years. im not saying the stockies are TOKICO but they could be.......
Old 05-12-2009, 02:56 PM   #14
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
come on now it made for a interesting read....
It did - but it's time has been and gone.
I look forward (no joking) to hearing how the new setup works out for regal, and what he finally gets for a "real" tire, not a cheapo.
My personal feeling with tires is that they are the FIRST thing between my car and the road, and I want GOOD rubber down there. "Cheap" tires are not worth buying, but that's just my opinion.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:18 PM   #15
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
It did - but it's time has been and gone.
I look forward (no joking) to hearing how the new setup works out for regal, and what he finally gets for a "real" tire, not a cheapo.
My personal feeling with tires is that they are the FIRST thing between my car and the road, and I want GOOD rubber down there. "Cheap" tires are not worth buying, but that's just my opinion.
CHUMPIRO'S in my OP.....
Old 05-12-2009, 04:38 PM   #16
Jeemee
XBL: Jeemee Ghost

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Nice setup! And I'm pretty sure our stock shocks are made by KYB. Says it on the strut.

Nitto Axle-Back--Tanabe DF210s--UR 23mm Rear Sway Bar--Penguin Garage 10mm Hub Spacers
Jeemee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:40 PM   #17
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeemee View Post
Nice setup! And I'm pretty sure our stock shocks are made by KYB. Says it on the strut.
there you go! my point is TOYOTA doesn't make anything themselves. they farm it out and slap their name on it.....
Old 05-12-2009, 04:46 PM   #18
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
there you go! my point is TOYOTA doesn't make anything themselves. they farm it out and slap their name on it.....
just like every other car manufacture?