Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
2007 honda fit sport

i was curious if anyone here knew anything about hondas- in particular the first gen fit? yeah, i know - it's one of the yaris' main rivals! i've always liked the looks of the first gen and wanted to get one when we bought our yaris, but the price was significantly higher in my area.

i found one in my area with relatively low miles(73,000) and the 'sport' package(ie. spoilers, side skirts, alloys). it's an auto, but i don't care since my wife wants to be able to drive it in case something happens to our current only car(2007 yaris sedan)- she refuses to drive stick- with over 150,000 miles.

i can't seem to find any yaris liftbacks in my area(trust me- i've been looking for months!) except rebuilt title in my price range. everything yaris is a sedan! even though i prefer the looks of the yaris sedan over yaris liftback i would like something a little different and the fit has always caught my eye. plus, i drove a yaris liftback for a couple years already.

if anyone has any experience with fits or knows what i should be looking for/asking about when i take a look at one this weekend i would appreciate it! not planning on getting rid of the yaris, however. will drive that till the wheels fall off! thanks.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Hershey has a Fit in addition to his Yaris. Maybe send him a PM, or perhaps he'll see this thread.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
well for one thing don't get an automatic fit first gen. those had CVTs which have been discontinued by honda after that bec of reliability issues.

for another, it's a pretty solid car, bushings are honda's achilles' heel, and the rear ones on the fit are no better. you might also hear a persistent "tok" sound coming from the middle floor/rear area--guess that's a minor suspension issue (not sure)
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #4
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Thanks NOOK for enlisting us . Guess we'll have to give some input of the '11 base model FIT with a 5 speed auto that was purchased April 19th , 2011 . Their has been no issues as of yet at about 25,000 miles . Have only done D.I.Y. oil changes of 3 times with synthetic 0w-20 and Honda A02 oil filters . Have replaced the engine and cabin air filter twice . The front brakes may need to be resurfaced , expect that with all the dampness and road salt over the past few years . She drives it most of the time and it's her favorite car for the past 20 years . Will be hard to get her to part with it . The average gas mileage since new is 37 , here's some of the records at FUELLY , http://www.fuelly.com/driver/cinder/fit . Also logged calculated gas mileage before Fuelly . Have read that the auto tranny fluid should be replaced every 33,000 miles or so . This was discussed at www.bobistheoilguy.com under A.T.F. Differential , etc. . I think that the 1st generation had a timing belt . Go here for lots of info on the FIT , http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/ . The 1st generation FIT didn't have a C.V.T. here in the States . Good luck and let us know if you purchase the FIT and how it performs .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:15 PM   #5
Hershey

Here's a review of the 2007 FIT Sport with the 5 speed auto by Car and Driver . It's a positive one , http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take-road-test .
Old 05-17-2013, 11:28 PM   #6
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
thanks for the responses! i test drove the fit this evening and everything looked/sounded ok. the only issue i noticed was an orange 'wrench' lit-up on the instrument console. i asked the guy about it, but he had no idea. i checked fitfreak and it appears it's not a CEL, but a service-reminder light. gonna try to figure out what the maintenance schedule is so i can see what my out-of-pocket cost is going to be to get that fixed(and factor that into my offer). it could just be a oil-change light, but he said the work was recently done at the honda dealership(i will request to see paperwork).

anyways, i was impressed at how crisp the handling seemed! the seats were more comfortable than my yaris, but i did notice the large blind-spots in back. going to run a carfax on the vin i acquired while inspecting it. i'm in no hurry so if it sells it sells. going to look at a 2007 yaris 2-door tomorrow afternoon. roughly the same price, but more miles(93,000).

again, if anyone else out there knows fits/hondas in general and can give me advice/what to look for i'd appreciate it greatly! i'm pretty familiar with the yaris i'm looking at tomorrow LOL!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:37 PM   #7
Hershey

Keep us updated . Best of luck .
Old 05-18-2013, 12:04 AM   #8
Deathegg

Drives: 2010 Yaris hatch
My brother has the '07 Fit - with a manual trans though. As far as I know, he's had very little, if any troubles with it. He's now at about 150k.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:11 AM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
us
Oops, sorry I left your better half out of the equation . No disrespect intended .
Old 05-18-2013, 01:26 AM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Thanks NOOK for enlisting us . Guess we'll have to give some input of the '11 base model FIT with a 5 speed auto that was purchased April 19th , 2011 . Their has been no issues as of yet at about 25,000 miles . Have only done D.I.Y. oil changes of 3 times with synthetic 0w-20 and Honda A02 oil filters . Have replaced the engine and cabin air filter twice . The front brakes may need to be resurfaced , expect that with all the dampness and road salt over the past few years . She drives it most of the time and it's her favorite car for the past 20 years . Will be hard to get her to part with it . The average gas mileage since new is 37 , here's some of the records at FUELLY , http://www.fuelly.com/driver/cinder/fit . Also logged calculated gas mileage before Fuelly . Have read that the auto tranny fluid should be replaced every 33,000 miles or so . This was discussed at www.bobistheoilguy.com under A.T.F. Differential , etc. . I think that the 1st generation had a timing belt . Go here for lots of info on the FIT , http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/ . The 1st generation FIT didn't have a C.V.T. here in the States . Good luck and let us know if you purchase the FIT and how it performs .
. .....and ....wow........37 MPG average....that's great...definitely on the high side of what I've happened to notice on Honda forums. Does she poke along like me at 55 to high 50s average speed on the freeway (in the slow lane), or is she getting that 37 combined average with a higher average freeway speed (60, 65, 70) when she happens to be on the freeway?
Old 05-18-2013, 01:35 AM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
thanks for the responses! i test drove the fit this evening and everything looked/sounded ok. the only issue i noticed was an orange 'wrench' lit-up on the instrument console. i asked the guy about it, but he had no idea. i checked fitfreak and it appears it's not a CEL, but a service-reminder light. gonna try to figure out what the maintenance schedule is so i can see what my out-of-pocket cost is going to be to get that fixed(and factor that into my offer). it could just be a oil-change light, but he said the work was recently done at the honda dealership(i will request to see paperwork).

anyways, i was impressed at how crisp the handling seemed! the seats were more comfortable than my yaris, but i did notice the large blind-spots in back. going to run a carfax on the vin i acquired while inspecting it. i'm in no hurry so if it sells it sells. going to look at a 2007 yaris 2-door tomorrow afternoon. roughly the same price, but more miles(93,000).

again, if anyone else out there knows fits/hondas in general and can give me advice/what to look for i'd appreciate it greatly! i'm pretty familiar with the yaris i'm looking at tomorrow LOL!
Good luck!
Old 05-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #12
Hershey

No hokey , pokeying about . Drive normal on state roads , interstate , city , etc.. Use pulse and glide and a steady foot on the accelerator . Ankle gets soar in time , carpal tunnel syndrome of the ankle , but worth the F.E.. Hardly use the cruise control . We live in a valley and there's many a hill to climb as well . So , not too much pampering , but not a speed .

Last edited by Hershey; 05-18-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
No hokey , pokeying about . Drive normal on state roads , interstate , city , etc.. Use pulse and glide and a steady foot on the accelerator . Ankle gets soar in time , carpal tunnel syndrome of the ankle , but worth the F.E.. Hardly use the cruise control . We live in a valley and there's many a hill to climb as well . So , not too much pampering , but not a speed .
Impressive (truly).
Old 05-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #14
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Drives: 2013 Yaris 3-Door LE ~Pearl~
Don't know much about that gen Fit. The new ones are okay. Though getting out from test driving one, I almost broke my knee on the dash cupholder. =/
Old 05-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #15
mike410b

Drives: 2008 Fit
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post

There's not really much to look for with the Fits to be honest, they're very simple cars, no timing belt to worry about, etc. I can't say I've ever noticed blind spots in the rear so much as up front with the giant A-pillars.

As for the maintenance minder, maybe the oil change stuff just needs to be reset?

Source: I've owned an 08 (Same as 07) 5MT Fit for 2 years.

And dude from the Philippines, in the US we didn't get the CVT like y'all, we just got a standard 5AT.
mike410b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #16
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike410b View Post
There's not really much to look for with the Fits to be honest, they're very simple cars, no timing belt to worry about, etc. I can't say I've ever noticed blind spots in the rear so much as up front with the giant A-pillars.

As for the maintenance minder, maybe the oil change stuff just needs to be reset?

Source: I've owned an 08 (Same as 07) 5MT Fit for 2 years.

And dude from the Philippines, in the US we didn't get the CVT like y'all, we just got a standard 5AT.
what's with the "dude from the Philippines?" when i've got my handle right there

well that's good if you have the standard AT ones because i would then say it's a solid car. my office bestfriend and my boss owned one each for 2-3 years. other than the tranny issue of my bestfriend's (AT), both of their cars were pretty solid.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote