Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-05-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
dyslexicanaboko

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Question AC Blower Motor / Fan Does Not Turn on Period

Hello All,

I have tested every visible fuse in every fuse block I could find including: the one located near the battery under the hood, the one under the steering column, where the left leg of the driver would be and finally where the HTR relay resides (i think - directly below the left air outlet, behind the pen holder).

I am completely stumped on this matter, I don't know what to do anymore because I have exhausted all of my options. I looked at the provided yaris user manual on the forum and unfortunately I do not have access to the diagnostic tool that is required for the job.

I could not completely test the relays because I don't think just testing the resistance is enough since it is an electro-mechanical device. The relay coil resistance could be fine, but the innards could possibly be damaged?

I tested the connection to the blower motor and I get 0 volts no matter what setting the variable resistor is set to (the fan control 0,1,2,3,4).

I do recall reading somewhere that when the fan is set to max (4) there is no resistance involved, however even on that setting I get no voltage reading. I will admit I did not try hooking the fan directly up to the batter yet, because doing so without removing the fan proves impossible without shorting something out.

Any help is appreciated before I am doomed to go to a service shop, I always try to fix everything myself before giving my money away to someone.

dyslexicanaboko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The actual fan motor gets power from the 40A HEATER fuse (in the under hood fuse panel), but the relay that the blower switch feeds the coil of is fed by the 10A GAUGE fuse (in the under dash fuse panel).
Old 12-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
dyslexicanaboko

Excellent, I think that was the problem actually. I found a 7.5A fuse that I think was blown. I think, because when I pulled it out it fell and got lost... so I had to replace it regardless. It was sitting right next to the HTR relay. I found all this behind the pen holder, right above the regular fuse panel near the driver's left foot.

It seems to be working again.

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
dyslexicanaboko

Just to follow-up on this topic. I found the real problem which could be happening to other people. My AC blower motor was stuck! So I used the old engineering method of beat the hell out of it with my fist and it started working again. No replacement necessary (yet).

I think this happened because of the past weather change in Miami. It went from humid and nasty to cool and dry and kept fluctuating.

If you want to try this out (anyone that might be having this problem) the fan's chassis is located directly in front of passenger's seat, underneath the glove box. You will see a round black chassis that has two thick wires coming out of it. With the fan strength set to 4, smack the pinnacle of the chassis to see if starts up and you should be good to go. You might hear a slight sound, but meh no big deal.

Last edited by dyslexicanaboko; 04-07-2011 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Forgot to add some detail
Old 04-08-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Good old fashioned impact maintenance!
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
"G"

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch
I'm having the same problem. Anyone have the service manual in pdf form showing how to remove the fan?
"G" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
I'm having the same problem. Anyone have the service manual in pdf form showing how to remove the fan?
Page 164 of the "Air conditioning" section. There are just three screws that mount the blower to the bottom of the blower stack.

http://etimago.com/yaris/repairmanual/

Last edited by CTScott; 01-30-2012 at 11:15 PM.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
"G"

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch
Found it. Weird because I tested the motor whith it installed and it did not work. So i removed it and tested again and then it worked. So i re-installed it and now it works fine.
"G" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, blower, conditioning, fan, motor