Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-25-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
AlanSRT4

Drives: SRT4
Exclamation Help needed guage lights out

The head lights still work but when they are on I get no dash lights at all the hvac nor speedo light up at all. And yes I played with the dimmer switch to make sure that it was in a postion where they should work and nothing. Any idea where and what to check. I checked the fuses under the hood and they were all good. Also I noticed that if the lights are on and the door is open with no keys in it does not give me that warning buzzer either now.

Thanks for any help you can give.
AlanSRT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanSRT4 View Post
The head lights still work but when they are on I get no dash lights at all the hvac nor speedo light up at all. And yes I played with the dimmer switch to make sure that it was in a postion where they should work and nothing. Any idea where and what to check. I checked the fuses under the hood and they were all good. Also I noticed that if the lights are on and the door is open with no keys in it does not give me that warning buzzer either now.

Thanks for any help you can give.
there is a blown fuse under the dash... i don't remember off the top of my head which one, but i do know that it is under the dash...

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
AlanSRT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_echo View Post
there is a blown fuse under the dash... i don't remember off the top of my head which one, but i do know that it is under the dash...
that fuse area is behinde the little cubby hole that folds out right? and thank you for such fast response
Old 06-25-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Quote:
that fuse area is behinde the little cubby hole that folds out right? and thank you for such fast response
yes that area, and no thanks needed... i just happened to be online... i had the same thing happened when i accidentally jumped the wrong wire for my aftermarket foglights... lost all inside lights at once...

i like this smiley...
Old 06-25-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
AlanSRT4

Quote:
yes that area, and no thanks needed... i just happened to be online... i had the same thing happened when i accidentally jumped the wrong wire for my aftermarket foglights... lost all inside lights at once...
cool will go and pull and check them and report back what I find.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
silver_echo
ekodrvr

now i have a slightly stupid question... were you doing anything under there when they went? if not, there might be an issue that would need to be looked into to make sure that it won't toast any more fuses... if that is what it ends up being...

i like this smiley...
Old 06-25-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
AlanSRT4

Quote:
now i have a slightly stupid question... were you doing anything under there when they went? if not, there might be an issue that would need to be looked into to make sure that it won't toast any more fuses... if that is what it ends up being...
a few days back the dealer went in to fix a noise in the fans turned out a napkin got sucked in from the glove box. but do not remember driving it at night after that.

then yesterday I put in a new radio had the correct plug in's and everything worked fine when I tried it out before sealing it back up. Everything played right all the lights worked that I could tell then when night came noticed that there was no lights. the guages still worked but no lights for hvac and speedo. took out the radio and pluged back in the stock one and still same stuff happening.

just checked and the 7.5 and 30 are fine looking when I pulled them out.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #8
silver_echo
ekodrvr

ok then well at this point i am stumped.... is this in a yaris? are you under warranty? if you are under warranty, take to dealer and tell them what the issue is...

i like this smiley...
Old 06-25-2009, 06:51 PM   #9
AlanSRT4

just went over the 36,000 mile mark so no warrenty on something like this. and I do not feel like paying the bend you over prices they charge just to look at things. but I might go in tomorrow and see if they have any ideas the head guy seems pretty cool and feels bad for some problems we have had so he might have some ideas for us to check out. I guess I will try and find my circuit tester and check to make sure that the fuse is not bad and just looks ok, as well as check relays and such. Man just one I would like to have a summer hell a year where I work on a car only because I want to and not need to LOL
Old 06-25-2009, 06:57 PM   #10
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Quote:
just went over the 36,000 mile mark so no warrenty on something like this. and I do not feel like paying the bend you over prices they charge just to look at things. but I might go in tomorrow and see if they have any ideas the head guy seems pretty cool and feels bad for some problems we have had so he might have some ideas for us to check out. I guess I will try and find my circuit tester and check to make sure that the fuse is not bad and just looks ok, as well as check relays and such. Man just one I would like to have a summer hell a year where I work on a car only because I want to and not need to LOL
good luck with that... i am under the hood of at least one of my three vehicles at least once every couple months...

i like this smiley...
Old 06-25-2009, 07:17 PM   #11
AlanSRT4

Quote:
good luck with that... i am under the hood of at least one of my three vehicles at least once every couple months...
hopefully for fun and not from need.
finaly found the fuse panel that the smurfs they hired to hide it put it.
I keep looking at the main block behind the cubby hole had no idea you had to pull a panel off the btm of it then use voodoo to get in there.

6' 280lbs does not make for easier fuse pulling LOL
Old 06-25-2009, 07:21 PM   #12
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Quote:
hopefully for fun and not from need.
finaly found the fuse panel that the smurfs they hired to hide it put it.
I keep looking at the main block behind the cubby hole had no idea you had to pull a panel off the btm of it then use voodoo to get in there.

6' 280lbs does not make for easier fuse pulling LOL
maintenance that i don't want to do, a leak on my jeep(one of many leaks) lots of other things... but no, for times that i want to be under the hood, it is like once a week...

i like this smiley...
Old 06-25-2009, 09:38 PM   #13
AlanSRT4

and what the heck is up with the werid size fuse hardly anyplace has them let a lone know what they are.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:59 PM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
and what the heck is up with the werid size fuse hardly anyplace has them let a lone know what they are.
Actually they are easier to find than you'd think (at least around here). Before you replace the fuse make sure that you connected the dimmer wire from the Yaris's harness to the right place on your headunit's harness. That is most likely what popped the fuse in the first place.

And, at least they gave you a brake pedal as a headrest for changing fuses...
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:22 AM   #15
AlanSRT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Actually they are easier to find than you'd think (at least around here). Before you replace the fuse make sure that you connected the dimmer wire from the Yaris's harness to the right place on your headunit's harness. That is most likely what popped the fuse in the first place.

And, at least they gave you a brake pedal as a headrest for changing fuses...
You were right the dimmer from the factory set up does not have anywhere that I can see to connect to the aftermarket one so I just capped off the wire and no more pop fuse.