Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-04-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
Lazerdot

Drives: Blazing Blue 08 liftback
What did I do???

I just cut a 2" hole into the top left corner of my bumper to allow more air into my AFE cold air intake area. I put 1 1/2" threaded PVC fitting into the hole to "finish" the look for now.
Well, I'm getting a "check engine light" now. Did I screw up the engine or is the MAF sensing more air and feeling the car is runnig lean, or is it possible air might be flowing back through the hole.
I have an AX in the morning and am panicked...
One Year One Oil-AMSOIL at www.Trulube.com TRD Exhaust, Springs and Struts. TRD SSK. NST Underdrive Crank Pulley. Amsoil Dominator 10w-30 Racing Oil, Amsoil DOT4 brake fluid, Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 transmission oil, Ultra Racing 23mm Sway Bar, Camber Bolts, R1 Drilled Slotted front Brakes and SS Brake cables from Micro-Image. Orange Konig Daylight 17s, Kumo MXs. Greg@TruLube.com
Lazerdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
Lazerdot

By the way I have also wrapped the AC tubbing with pipe inulation. NOt sure that would matter.
One Year One Oil-AMSOIL at www.Trulube.com TRD Exhaust, Springs and Struts. TRD SSK. NST Underdrive Crank Pulley. Amsoil Dominator 10w-30 Racing Oil, Amsoil DOT4 brake fluid, Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 transmission oil, Ultra Racing 23mm Sway Bar, Camber Bolts, R1 Drilled Slotted front Brakes and SS Brake cables from Micro-Image. Orange Konig Daylight 17s, Kumo MXs. Greg@TruLube.com
Old 07-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
picture?

did it rain after this and did you drive it in the rain?

not sure if you touched the intake while doing this however check that the MAF is securely tightened, and that it is not overtight. this is not a part you wanna mess up, its expensive.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
Lazerdot

No The MAF was not touched. I did disconnect it and reconnect it just to see if thet mattered. Seemed to make no difference.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #5
Lazerdot

By the way, that was after the light came on.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #6
Treyz
~ ambient one ~

Drives: 2009 Bayou Yaris Liftback
Deff need some pics.

Nothing was disconnected when you did this and if so, you tripple checked all of them? Might have to back track what you did.

ambientlifestyle.com------------ambientlifestyle.ning.com

Micro Image
Store - Network - Online
microimageonline.com------------microimage.ning.com
Treyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #7
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
are you able to post a picture? inside by the box and outside if possible. and did you drive it in the rain?

how long have you had the AFE? some people have CEL's simply after installing the AFE

If the CEL was caused by simply cutting a hole in the bumper cover, then something else was hit, did you remove the bumper while cutting the hole?
Old 07-04-2009, 07:43 PM   #8
Lazerdot

I didn't drive in rain or hit anything while making the hole.. I'm thinking the emmissions may have a new signal with more air. I added a bit of insulation around the afe box, but have driven a couple days with that. I've had the AFE for more then a year. Maybe the MAF rubbed against the insulation and shorted...? I would think not. Really wonder about the emmissions logic.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #9
Lazerdot

Pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4861.jpg (141.4 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4862.jpg (185.0 KB, 110 views)
Old 07-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #10
Lazerdot

Disconnected positive lead to Batt, waited 5 minutes. Re-connected Batt, tirn ignition to on (not start) 5 times, then started the YARX. CEL was out, so drove a few "pushed" miles and no issues.
I think I'm going to the AX. I have my fingers crossed!!!
By the way, I'll tape the new hole if in the rain.
I'll be modifying the mod after the AX.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:43 PM   #11
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
It seems that resetting your ECU did it. That is aways worth a try.

I dont think that you have to be concerned asbout a little water entering that hole as it in not directly coupled to your intake.

Fact is, moisture laden air enters your intake every time it rains anyway with no ill effects.

Actually, during the old "Model T" days, it was common practice to slowly pour water down the intake (while reving the engine) to help clean out carbon build up.

So, a little water on ocasion wiil do no harm as long as you also get suficeient air.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:57 PM   #12
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
That's a permanant commitment boring out a hole there!
The foil thing looks pretty awful and probobly does'nt do much.
I had this intake too, and water got in there everytime I washed the car....

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:20 PM   #13
Lazerdot

Only looks awful when you open the hood..., but not a clean try for sure. Effect????

I'm planing on a body kit some time anyway so the bumper was sacrificed for the cause. Not sure it will make any difference.

The water issue will be a concern, the mesh was put in to break up the stream as well as filter big stuff. I am more concerned about rust if the water collects in unusual areas. If water is getting in during a wash then a bit more won't matter. I'll flush mount a tube soon, with a small drain and drain tube.

This was a cheap project just to think it matters, who knows for sure.

At least the CEL is out,...!
Old 07-04-2009, 10:56 PM   #14
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
The hole in the bumper actually looks cool. I'm sure you'll use black trim to make it blend in better.
My AFE threw a CEL only once. Oh, and I have a spare genuine Toyota MAF sensor in the box at the ready for if when mine acts up....
New in box for $68 on the 'bay...

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote