Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-05-2009, 11:50 PM   #1
AlanSRT4

Drives: SRT4
Oil pressure light on

Has anyone else had this issue pop up? Dealer said that oil pressure drops from 25psi at idle to 10 or less under load and every time I take foot off gas (when over 2,000 rpms) the light comes on for a moment?
AlanSRT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:13 AM   #2
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanSRT4 View Post
Has anyone else had this issue pop up? Dealer said that oil pressure drops from 25psi at idle to 10 or less under load and every time I take foot off gas (when over 2,000 rpms) the light comes on for a moment?
(what year? how many miles?) also... if the light comes on, THERE IS A PROBLEM... dealer is lying, trying to make you wait until the warranty is out and then you have to pay... :::climbs down off of his soap box:::
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:18 AM   #3
AlanSRT4

almost 30,000 miles on it. 2007. they said the issue was the oil filter. which it could be that simple but since they also said that your not able to shift into first if in motion, and that you are supposed to go into 4th before reverse I might not be the most convinced with there attitude all the time.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:28 AM   #4
silver_echo
ekodrvr

4th before reverse???? holy crap!!! go to your dealer, talk to General Manager... easiest way to do this is to go in on the sales floor and ask to talk to the GM...

however, i do kind of understand no first while in motion, i have to fiddle with mine to get it into first occasionally...
Old 03-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #5
jkuchta

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch (red)
The oil pressure DOES NOT go down under load! The oil pressure increases with RPM, and I have a tach and oil pres. gauge to prove it. Sounds like your pump is bad. A bad filter would not affect the oil pressure, because if the filter was clogged or otherwise f-ed up, your oil would just bypass through the filter.

Go to a different dealer and get this problem fixed ASAP before you loose the engine bro!
jkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #6
AlanSRT4

hey all will give you updates and things come up. and thanks for the input. this is one of the best forums out there so many others just give you crap and not good advice and input.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:24 PM   #7
360cubes

Drives: 2000
Send a message via MSN to 360cubes
I'd go to another dealership! Oil pump is probably on its way out. I'd switch to a synthetic oil and have the pressure checked. Worst case scenario, albeit with only 30K on the clock, the main bearings could be shot which means tearing apart the lower part of the block. When the main bearings suck in oil it will cause a low-oil pressure situation at low rpms as there is no load on the engine. This is a common problem but on engines that have 175K or more on them that aren't properly maintained.
360cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:50 PM   #8
AlanSRT4

actually run AMSOIL in it. So far since they put a new filter on light has not come back on but I am wondering if it was that the oil filter was just a little lose.

Actually car going back in for the transmission since it been messed up since new. They finally going to pull it out and figure out why it has been acting up. Actually there are not that many dealers anywhere around me.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:47 PM   #9
silver_echo
ekodrvr

hmmmm that is odd.... usually they have a lot of toyota motor corporation dealerships... including toyota and lexus... i have like 6 within about 50 miles
Old 03-14-2009, 10:27 AM   #10
AlanSRT4

went back and re-checked and there are more near me then I realized. Actually have to send off oil filter and oil sample to AMSOIL they want to see if it was there filter or the dealer blowing smoke up my butt. If it's there fault they will pay for everything, if dealer was wrong they said they would go after dealer for me to get money back.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #11
jkuchta

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch (red)
I know the dealer is full of it......

A reputable dealer that saw oil pressure dropping with rpm would not have let you drive the car home.

And for a filter to kill the oil pressure it would have had to fail catastrophiclly (sp), which would have been quite evident when the filter was pulled off.

If I were you I would not drive the car until the problem is solved...unless you can get a new motor from Toyota when the main bearings and cam buckets get burned out.

Its a bummer bro...but you need to find a better dealer, and get your engine replaced (who knows how long the oil pressure has been too low). Your best bet is to call Toyota directly, fill them in on the whole story, and then have them refer you to a dealer to get the engine torn down/inpected or replaced FREE OF CHARGE!
jkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:12 PM   #12
AlanSRT4

Well an update Amsoil is helping us go after the dealer. The test of the oil showed that there were high levels of gas and sodium in the oil and that the high gas level killed the filter.

As for the transmission they did about $2600 worth of work under warranty to replace most everything in it. The car now drives how I always thought a Toyota should.

When we get all the paper work going to go in and hit up the dealer with all the information kind of blind side them and if they decide to try and fight it Amsoil should help out with lawyers and such since it appears there is more going on with the motor then we thought.

And yeah Toyota is going to be hearing about this first hand not letting the dealer try and warp it. I figure talk to toyota while at dealer so that everyone is getting hit at once LOL

Also will be selling the car before the 60,000 mile warrenty goes up most likely to get either a convertable Challenger or Camaro. I know big jump in type of car.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:14 PM   #13
AlanSRT4

Funny thing was that because of you all on here we kind of knew what was wrong and what was going to be replaced in the transmission LOL

I so wanted to rub it into the head guys face that the forums were right even though he acted as if we all have no idea what we are talking about. With the SRT4 I went through a lot of things going back and forth with the dealer because I seemed to find out from the forums what all was wrong and needed to be fixed long before they could figure it out. I also got TSB info usually weeks before them some how. I guess living out in the less city like areas we are the last to know LOL
Old 03-30-2009, 05:21 PM   #14
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
funny thing with TOYOTA and transmissions. we DO NOT open up and replace internal parts.......
Old 03-30-2009, 05:30 PM   #15
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
shifting to any forward gear b4 reverse is highly suggested.. thatll give 0 chance of grinding reverse.. thread opened previously but was deleted..forward gears assuming alligns the synchros for the reverse shifting..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:12 AM   #16
AlanSRT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZINBLUEVITZ View Post
funny thing with TOYOTA and transmissions. we DO NOT open up and replace internal parts.......
you lost me there?
Old 03-31-2009, 01:13 AM   #17
AlanSRT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
shifting to any forward gear b4 reverse is highly suggested.. thatll give 0 chance of grinding reverse.. thread opened previously but was deleted..forward gears assuming alligns the synchros for the reverse shifting..
I still do out of habit but it's nice to know that I do not have to now. It really amazes me just how much better the car is now then when it was brand new.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:15 AM   #18
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanSRT4 View Post
Actually there are not that many dealers anywhere around me.
There might be a autherized Toyota service center that isn't a dealership. I have gone to a place called the Toy Doctor which does excellent work.