Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-21-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
jrenter
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 4door
Problems with my yaris in winter

I just wanted to see if anyone else had problems with their Yaris on the snow and ice? I'm from Alberta Canada where we get a fair amount of snow and ice. Right now though the snow has melted and the ice has stuck around! I live in an apartment building and can barely get out of our parking lot safely without my yaris sliding all over the place. Should I put more weight in the trunk to weigh it down a bit? What's the best option? I do have snow tires on my car but even trying to get out my parking lot, I'm doing maybe just above the 10/km hr mark on my speedometer and I can't control the car at all.
jrenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
I've found my ice radials to be the ticket.
Most tires, even some all-seasons, can negotiate snow. Few tires can cope with ice / hard packed snow with confidence.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrenter View Post
I just wanted to see if anyone else had problems with their Yaris on the snow and ice? I'm from Alberta Canada where we get a fair amount of snow and ice. Right now though the snow has melted and the ice has stuck around! I live in an apartment building and can barely get out of our parking lot safely without my yaris sliding all over the place. Should I put more weight in the trunk to weigh it down a bit? What's the best option? I do have snow tires on my car but even trying to get out my parking lot, I'm doing maybe just above the 10/km hr mark on my speedometer and I can't control the car at all.
Isn't your landloard/apartment owner responsible to keep the parking area safe? If someone gets hurt, he gets sued. You and your neighbors should all complain.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Alberta, Canada...... what snow/ice tires do you have on the Yaris? If you are running stock tires......... don't.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
Doug007

Drives: 2007 Yaris S Sedan
Spikes-Spiders

Bailout wrote about these last year and I bought a set. Very effective in snow and ice as well as easy on/off:

http://www.spikes-spiders.com/
Daytime Running Lights
http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm
Doug007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:47 AM   #6
Return of the Yarii

Drives: 2007 Sedan S
^^PK must be the only one who DOESNT have problems on snow and ice. The OEM tires (RE92's) are horrible in winter. This is now my 2nd Chicago winter w/the Yaris and learned my lesson after the 1st one to buy a dedicated set of winter tires (bought a set of 4 Winterforce tires from TireRack this year) and honestly they made a world of difference. Chicago got hit very hard this winter and I was able to navigate even the worst snow and ice covered roads w/the snow tires on with ease.
Return of the Yarii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:42 AM   #7
fearturtle44

Drives: S Flint Mica
Do not put weight in back of car. Defeats the purpose of Front Wheel Drive. Also, the Yaris is not a snow/ice car. 4WD are snow vehicles. No vehicle is good on ice.

No compact car is going to get good grades for winter driving.

Just have to drive more slowly, take your time on turns, and watch out for the other drivers.
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:55 PM   #8
Dorkinheimer

Drives: Yaris 2007 *manual*
Don't add weight to your car, you'll lose 5 mpg or more.
Maybe your tires are inflated too high.
Get winter tires, the rubber is softer and has a better grip on ice.
Dorkinheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
blktiger60

Drives: `08 HB S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug007 View Post
Bailout wrote about these last year and I bought a set. Very effective in snow and ice as well as easy on/off:

http://www.spikes-spiders.com/
Spike Spiders are $500 a set - not an option for me.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
blktiger60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return of the Yarii View Post
^^PK must be the only one who DOESNT have problems on snow and ice. The OEM tires (RE92's) are horrible in winter. This is now my 2nd Chicago winter w/the Yaris and learned my lesson after the 1st one to buy a dedicated set of winter tires (bought a set of 4 Winterforce tires from TireRack this year) and honestly they made a world of difference. Chicago got hit very hard this winter and I was able to navigate even the worst snow and ice covered roads w/the snow tires on with ease.
A few weeks ago we got SIX feet of snow in less than 14 days. I took off my customs and put back on the stock wheels and tires. I didn't have any problems driving on them.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:59 PM   #11
blktiger60

Just so you know, I bought my Yaris in Denver last winter and drove it home, 1600 miles over several moutain passes. The worst one being the one just outside Jackson Hole Wyoming, 7% grade packed snow and ice and snowing at the time I drove over it. I was following two SUV's that never did pull away from me. I did do a bit of a "drift" around the first hairpin corner because I was traveling too fast to not slide. Still, having had many years driving in winter conditions I didn't see this as a problem, I just slowed down a bit.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:14 PM   #12
rcturner
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Cool

Mine does well in the snow but is really bad on ice.
rcturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #13
REM

Drives: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcturner View Post
Mine does well in the snow but is really bad on ice.
Yeah, before I got snow tires I got stuck in a parking lot and ended up putting it in N and pushing it out of the parking lot. I did it all by myself; an advantage to having a small car.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #14
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
I could swear theres a post about this every week.

Solution: I'll get some tires with those spikes like the football shoes have. The metal ones.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:46 PM   #15
Dbeau

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan Aero
Wow another Yaris owner in Alberta !
Anyway its my first winter here in Calgary and I have the sedan with winter tires. The only issue I have found is that the car is so damn light and the motor included doesn't really weigh the front wheel drive enough to get traction on a start. Kinda got to be easy on the throttle to get goin but once moving..all is good.
But to be honest you sorta get used to it and do it without thinking about it.
Dbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #16
glhsracer

Drives: 2008 Sedan MT
I found winter driving on the original tires wasn't too good either. I would think this is a common problem of any light weight car with road tires. When it gets too deep here in Michigan I drive my Tacoma 4x4 truck. I know it is kind of wimping out but it is much safer for me and those around me.
glhsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #17
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrenter View Post
What's the best option?
Move south. Far south.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #18
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
Move south. Far south.
w00t! Yaris Hilton knows how it is. Snow is one of those things that most people from around here haven't seen other than on TV lol.
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote