Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-01-2009, 03:50 AM   #19
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonjelly View Post
Toyotas can take pretty big tow loads.
IRL LOL right there.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:24 AM   #20
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
I had a 88 Toyota truck in which I over-loaded it a few times untill the rubber stops hit the frame. It was scarey to drive over 40 mph, it felt like there was no steering control.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:52 PM   #21
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Old 02-03-2009, 11:24 PM   #22
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
The US gov. also recommends no sex till you're married.....doesn't stop too many people, especially politicians.

I've towed 1,000 lbs easily...but feel 700 is a comfortable limit. I have a 4x8 tilt trailer, it's very handy with the lawn tractor etc.

In the early 90's, Buick proudly advertized 4,500 towing capacity with their Roadmasters (same as Caprices)....that seems to be 'nearly' equal tow capacity to vehicle weight.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:55 PM   #23
the_boss

Drives: 07 YARIS HATCH 5 DOOR
Send a message via MSN to the_boss
I saw a yaris with a trailer today with a snowblower going up hill I woulnd't be afraid of towing on a short distance with a trailer but on a cross canada trip might be a different story
the_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:24 PM   #24
papsman
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris HB 2009
Lightbulb

Please do not forget that car companies (as per MOST "intelligent" companies), ALWAYS give less possibilites than the REAL amount. Thus, if the Yaris is "allowed" 800 lbs towing capacity, then it CAN tow that much 99.9% SURE (not 100% sure, especially with the acceleration pedal recall!). I am logically assuming that a max weight amount is probably about 75% of the real amount. I just cannot imagine a car copany stating the "REAL" max amount, then getting sued for recommending that weight... of course they will "allow" much less than the car can actually tow!
papsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:05 AM   #25
ryota
Dry Bones

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to ryota
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
Nice truck. Is that a 2002? Any mods for it? My brother in law has put $15,000 into his Dodge. We have a 04 CTD with no mods used to pull a 5,000 pound trailer.

have you ever tried parking that yaris in the back of that truck?
Old 01-30-2010, 07:12 PM   #26
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Home depot has trucks you can rent for 20 bucks, pretty sure Uhaul is about that price too - so do what you want, I'll be here laughing when you come back dragging your tranny on the ground.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:00 PM   #27
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
curt 11050 hitch is the best design for slapping on a yaris HB so far

go one to hold a yakima double down rack for me bikes
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:03 PM   #28
eric81

Drives: Toyota Salesman
There is a Tundra here that can pull 10,000 lbs on it's hitch, and over 8 tons on the goose neck. Of course, they all pull at least 8,000 lbs off the hitch and do 8 tons on a goose neck, so it's not that big of a deal, right?

As for a Yaris, I can't say "Yes, do the towing!", but I personally would trust it for a short distance, at slower speeds, with less than 800 lbs. Just get the trailer height right and balance the load center on the trailer tires so as to not over stress the Yaris engine, tranny, suspension, and brakes. Heck, I bet it's tough enough to pull two or even three times that if the conditions are right and you went slow and steady enough, but just watch your car and be careful, and you should be fine.
eric81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:11 PM   #29
ctrj

Drives: 07 Yaris Sdn, 97 4Runner
When I was little, my family of 4 would go camping for a week in a 1981 Toyota Starlet, towing a 4x8 Harbor Freight loaded to the top. That car has 50-something hp and yet it managed to tow the small trailer just fine. I'm sure a modern Yaris with double the HP could tow a light 4x8 trailer just fine.

ctrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:27 PM   #30
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
One other thing that needs to be considered as well is that these hitches bolt to the transportation tie-downs in the rear of the vehicle.
What? No it doesn't. You remove two of the bolts that the bumper attaches to and replace it with beefier longer bolts. Reference my install thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21071

And seriously, if you don't have a trailer hitch installed on your Yaris, then stop posting all your legal, read the manual it says not to, go get a truck baloney. I tow a 4' X 4' trailer every weekend loaded up with my trash. It equals the weight of two adults in my back seat. I can't even tell its back there -- even when I had a Christmas tree on it, 2 heavy trash bags, all my recycling, and bins.

The car tows fine, just like any other small passenger car in America. There is no reason why anyone can't tow with a Yaris -- just because the manual says you can't isn't a valid reason. My mommy and daddy say I shouldn't drink beer, either.

As far as towing 1,100 lbs? Come on, don't be dumb. That's why people start posting all this legal crap. In my own REAL LIFE EXPERIENCES towing with this vehicle, I wouldn't feel comfortable towing more than 500 lbs. total weight. That's just me though.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:17 AM   #31
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBack View Post
A truck would do a better job
Oh really? Who would have thought?
Old 01-31-2010, 12:19 AM   #32
fmicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
The HITCH itself is rated for that much: the vehicle may NOT legally tow anything IN THE UNITED STATES do to liability reasons. If you HAVE AN ACCIDENT (and only then) will you be legally held criminally responsible for someone's death, and if not, expect to be sued for everything you own.

Judge: "Your manual specifically states that towing is NOT recommended, why did you so believe you could go against the recommendation?"

Defendant: "Because I'm a hard-headed idiot?"

As well, the uni-frame is incredibly thin, making twisting a possibility at the attachment points.

Defendant: I'm Canadian and the manual says for Canadian customers it's alright to tow up to 700 lbs!

So I guess if you kill someone while towing with a truck you'll be fine, no one will sue you for everything you own, right?
Old 01-31-2010, 05:02 PM   #33
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
wow, this is getting mean.... lol. check it out....i've done my fair share of stupidness.... that includes anything from pulling out tree's (my moms 01 Camry, thats was funny but it did better then the ford!!) to towing a fully loaded 21 footer camper trailer with an 89 corolla.... that was funny.... lol. the only thing i did with yaris so far was pull a car out of a ditch and towed it home (jsut around the corner.)

the chances of the frame twisting or the hitch getting ripped out is dependant of the install. installed correctly the yaris can tow 1200LB or rolling weight np. i dont recomend pulling out a tree (dead weight) with the yaris. i believe the reason for the weight eating is simply the breaking power.....get an extra 1200lb of weight behind u and good luck! lol, do it safely, stay away from hills and stay off the clutch u will be fine.

jsut dont end up like this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox_1nl6SBMg

and dont get wrong, towing the extra weight is added wear and tear on the tinny car.... be prepared for that before towing.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:57 PM   #34
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

People talking about twisting... give me a break. Why would there be any twisting of the frame???

I'd be more concerned about twisting the frame when being towed by that stupid passenger side tow hook we have int he front (got towed this winter after getting stuck). How is pulling something from the dead center of the rear of the car any concern for twisting the unibody? Whoever came up with that... well whatever.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:34 PM   #35
fmicle

^ +1, I mean, look at it this way, if the Toyota engineers didn't worry about frame twisting when they designed an off-center tow hook, maybe that means there is no frame twisting risk...
Old 01-31-2010, 08:35 PM   #36
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Makes more sense to me than, "because the manual says so..."