Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-01-2018, 06:06 PM   #1
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
New TNGA Engine/Drivetrains, 2019 iM teasers, etc.

"Toyota Motor Corporation has developed a new continuously variable transmission (CVT) featuring a launch gear; a new 6-speed manual transmission; a new 2.0-liter engine with 40% thermal efficiency (41% in hybrid applications); a new 2.0-liter hybrid system; and new 4WD systems—one for gasoline-engined cars, one for hybrids—based on the Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA)."

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2018...26-toyota.html

Also, teaser photo from Toyota of new TNGA 2019 iM/Auris, which will incorporate versions of this new tech. I think that it (& TNGA Corolla in 2020) will be getting the 2.0 liter 169hp version of the engine.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/02/26/...va-corolla-im/

Toyota wants at least 80% of their vehicles globally to have this tech by 2023, & I'm guessing that the next-gen TNGA Yaris in 2021 will be sporting it in some form or fashion.

Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:52 PM   #2
Kalispel

Well, the European 2019 TNGA Auris has been revealed. I wonder how far off the US/NA version iM will be?

The front styling will undoubtedly turn off all those who dislike the current Yaris & Corolla 'open mouth' styling.

That shape/style of the front grill reminds me of a less-offensive iA front end.

Seems like black would be the best color again, to blend that front fascia into the rest of the design better.

Stance, proportions, side profile & rear designs are very nice, however. I see some potential here.

I would probably jump on a black hybrid-version 2019 of this, if it makes it to the US. Toyota has promised to release hybrid versions of more models in the US, after all.

The European unveiling video can be viewed here:

https://www.facebook.com/toyotauk/vi...5149784537633/

-

Last edited by Kalispel; 03-06-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:44 PM   #3
Kalispel

More Pics:

Old 03-07-2018, 10:17 AM   #4
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
looks like the lexus ct200h - thought it was the ct200h refresh
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:06 AM   #5
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Not bad, eh?

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:33 PM   #6
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
looks nice, but i'm guessing MSRP will start around 25K(that particular one with the hybrid is probably in the 30's). i'm starting to think the yaris(if they don't stop making it) is the only new toyota i will ever be able to afford!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:56 PM   #7
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post
looks like the lexus ct200h - thought it was the ct200h refresh
The ct200h always struck me as having Auris DNA in it. The 2019 Auris does look more like the (now discontinued in U.S.) 2017 ct200h than it does the current iM/Auris.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:01 PM   #8
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
looks nice, but i'm guessing MSRP will start around 25K(that particular one with the hybrid is probably in the 30's). i'm starting to think the yaris(if they don't stop making it) is the only new toyota i will ever be able to afford!
I agree that it will probably start in the low-mid 20's, assuming it will have different trim levels like other Toyota vehicles (unlike the current mono-trim/spec Scion-Toyota version). I also bet the U.S version 2019 'Corolla iM' will still be noticeably more cut-rate versus what is offered in Europe/Australia/Etc. on the 2019 Auris (or versus what is seen in the pics above). That is the trend. It will be interesting to see the actual U.S. production model later this year, along with the new TNGA Corolla sedan later on for model year 2020. If the Yaris hatch isn't discontinued in the U.S., we will likely see the TNGA version in model year 2021.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:49 PM   #9
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Not bad, eh?
Not surprisingly (for modern-day Toyota), the weakest design element is the front fascia. Looks like a cousin to the iA from the front view. Would definitely have to opt for black paint to camouflage that mug.

In all honestly though, I think only a hybrid offering of this in the U.S. could sway me into perhaps taking the plunge (in black, lol). Otherwise, I would really just rather just stick with an ultra-dependable 'low tech' drivetrain Yaris SE.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:50 PM   #10
Kalispel

Toyota commercial for all-new 2019 Auris (Corolla iM).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEeztpWL-XA
Old 03-22-2018, 08:18 PM   #11
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
That's interesting. So Toyota is sticking with NA engines.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2018, 11:37 AM   #12
justanotherdrunk

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/20...-and-info-news
Old 03-23-2018, 05:20 PM   #13
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
^that article made my day! 6-speed manual in the SE trim If they can price them less than 20k I've found my Yaris replacement!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:04 PM   #14
Kalispel

I'm disappointed that still no hybrid version of the Auris for U.S. in 2019. Still, not a bad looking new design, especially in 'camo-grill' black paint. Definitely has a European styling slant to it - which is a good thing. I like the positioning & look of the rear bumper reflectors. I'm sure the 'dual-exhaust' ports are for looks & design symmetry only.

Looks like the U.S.-spec XSE (blue one in pic below) is going for the 18" wheels & probably 40 series tires (which are horrible on all the poorly-maintained roads out there ). It will also have the larger, 'extra sporty' rear hatch spoiler. The SE (white one in pic below) will have 16" wheels & likely 50-55 series tires, and the normal-sized hatch spoiler. I think that 17" wheels would have been the sweet-spot, and they probably should have stuck with that for both trims, with different alloy wheel designs.

I can definitely see myself sliding into one of these in 2019-2020 sometime.

Last edited by Kalispel; 03-23-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:02 PM   #15
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I just saw they announced it as a 2019 Corolla HB for the US.

Is the 6 speed going to be available across the line or only on the base model?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2018, 10:15 PM   #16
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
yeah good question, is it possible to get a awd 2.0 in a 6 speed? thats like.... subaru territory nevermind the power
Runethecursed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:34 AM   #17
justanotherdrunk

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...l-photos-info/
Old 03-28-2018, 08:34 PM   #18
Kalispel

My U.S. 2019 Corolla Hatch initial impressions after reading/watching around what is out there currently on the net:

- General body shape, lines & proportions are nice - this car will look really nice in black or dark gray.
- LED DRL design looks pretty good/elegant, on otherwise odd-shaped headlights.
- Modern, LED headlights.
- Side-mirror signal indicators - should be standard passive safety feature on EVERY vehicle.
- Factory OEM fog-lights (unlike current U.S.-spec iM model)
- OEM alloy wheel design on both SE & XSE are solid.
- Rear bumper reflectors have NICE vertical design & integration into the body/bumper styling. Looks great.
- Rear tail lights have a nice, hawkish look to them, with LED lights.
- Standard body-colored 'shark-fin' antenna
- has a nice, wide, sporty crouching stance.
- No crazy, overdone lower body kit like the current iM hatch sports.
- New 2.0 liter engine isn't turbo-crap, and looks to be shooting for a better balance between decently 'spunky' acceleration & practical MPG economy.
- The new-design CVT automatic with unique integrated single launch gear is interesting on paper. Wonder how it will play out in the real world for both feel & reliability?

Dislikes:
- Front grill shape/design reminds me a bit too much of the fugly little iA. I would HAVE to buy black (or dark gray) to blend it out with car. At least there is a body-colored piece bringing up the bottom of the front grill, to help minimize the 'gaping maw' effect if you opt for another color besides black.
- The molded, fake 'dual-exhaust' chrome trim pieces on lower rear bumper are a bit cheesy/tacky and overdone. The real exhaust is single outlet and hidden underneath the bumper (like on the current Civic or ILX, for example).
- The tablet touchscreen standing up on the dashboard looks stupid.
- More 'Safety Sense' tech nonsense for distracted, drunk and dementia drivers.
- The oversized rear spoiler on XSE, poking up at a bizarre 45 degree angle. Not so bad from the straight back view, but stupid-looking from the side angles. A bit too juvenile really, overall.
- 18" wheels (XSE) are a bit oversized really for car this size, while the 16" wheels (SE) are not quite large enough. Toyota should have stuck with the 'sweet spot' 17" wheels on both. I bet that the ultra-low profile tires (40 series?) on the 18" wheels are a jarring nightmare to drive on most crappy, poorly-maintained U.S. roads.
- Blue color featured in pics below looks horrible and gaudy. Something for 'look at me!' high-school drivers & teenagers?

-

Last edited by Kalispel; 03-29-2018 at 12:41 PM.