Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-06-2007, 11:17 PM   #37
orionnca
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Paper Thin Paint!! <--- You ain't kidding

I have had my 2007 Yaris for 14 months now. I have 26000 mostly-highway miles on it already and with it the expected rock chips. I have had to replace the windshield once already (chip turned into a four foot crack one frosty winter morning), and the new windshield got chipped again recently. I also have one door ding, and two bumper and rear fender scratches due to coworkers that must of failed the parking portion of their drivers exam.

But my complaint isn't with any of that. This is an good car with exceptional gas mileage (39-43 in the summer, 34-37 cold Michigan winters). It is just this darn, crappy, thin paint. I have never had or seen a car that has paint that scratches so easily. My girl friend purchase a Honda Fit two months after I purchased my Yaris, and the paint on it is immaculate. Ironically, that is about the only thing I like about the Fit, other than the cargo space in the back. It only gets 29-34 MPG.

I have scratches behind the door handle, apparently from my manly length finger nails. I have scratches on the hood, trunk and all along the passenger side that look like they may of gotten there from dust that was rubbed lightly. And on top of this, a week after I purchased the car, I noticed that there was a chip on the hood that the dealership poorly touched up. The dealership addressed it.

Has only else had this bad of luck with the paint? Have you had any luck with getting the dealership to address the issue?

OrionNCA
orionnca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:19 AM   #38
alhope34
Spool'd

Drives: 07 yaris, 16 gen coupe rspec
Done 47xxx kms with our yaris now, and the only paint chip I know of was caused by someone opening their door into our driver's door...while I was in the car!!
alhope34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:30 AM   #39
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Now THAT is a reason to get pissed off!!!
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:44 PM   #40
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
I'll join in... three days of owning a Yaris, and already I have one ding in a door that chipped the paint, and two rock-chip spots on the hood. Admitedly, that's after just shy of 1000 miles (Yay for IT emergencies 120 miles away three days in a row!) and making a point of avoiding highways as much as possible so I could vary the engine-speed and load during the break-in period, but yeesh... at this rate I'll have a pre-sanded car by the end of next year. =O.o=

I do wish they offered the green colors on the Liftback more than anything else though, those are sexy-polite colors IMHO. So not only do we get paper-thin paint, we don't even get all the truly nifty color options. Bleah!
Old 08-22-2007, 09:27 PM   #41
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWings View Post

I do wish they offered the green colors on the Liftback more than anything else though, those are sexy-polite colors IMHO. So not only do we get paper-thin paint, we don't even get all the truly nifty color options. Bleah!

Yeah I agree! I love green too! I heard that they will offer different colors for 08 maybe one or two I don't know. Hopefully green!

I think we should petition Toyota about the paint or file a big complaint. Maybe they won't skimp on it.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:59 PM   #42
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I just washed my S last night and I am very disappointed in the paint. My 96 Tercel was still fine when I sold it over the winter and that was with 120+ k miles and being a 96. I have had the Yaris now for about 14 months and I have several chips. I have been lucky that they are mostly on the face which is the plastic however for example I have a bad chip on the hood that looks like bug guts until you get up close and place your fingernail in the groove! That is Nuckin Futs! I mean really....I have even taken it to a detail shop and they were all, "taking a close look you might want to just do the detailing yourself" all because of how thin the paint even just looks on the car.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:26 PM   #43
arcon
Pinoy Mafia!

Drives: sedan
Yeah I know what you guys feel, I just got the car for 5days now then saw pigeon poop removed it right away but there was stain already, I took it off right away but it still stained on my honda the bird poo doesnt even stained but for rock chips well I think thats gonna happen anyway especially driving 70-80mph : ) Ill probably get the Clearbra.
arcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:03 PM   #44
dadi_oh

Drives: RS 4 Door Hatch
Anyone try one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...spagenameZWD1V

Applies to the whole hood, bumper, and mirrors. Just curious how the installation went, how it looks (or doesn't look ;-) and how durable it is.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:03 PM   #45
steved
Yaris Rules!!

Drives: 2007 Red Yaris Liftback a/t
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadi_oh View Post
Anyone try one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...spagenameZWD1V

Applies to the whole hood, bumper, and mirrors. Just curious how the installation went, how it looks (or doesn't look ;-) and how durable it is.

I was thinking about buying one for my 2dr yaris fron the same guy. Just that it does not look easy to install yourself.

For the durability I like to know also.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:11 AM   #46
Ferret_san
Hack.... What hack ??

Drives: 07 YR
Quote:
Originally Posted by redyaris View Post
I know the Yaris is cheap but holy crap is the factory paint thin!
Funny you should mention that.. I recently test drove a Honda Jazz/Fit, Suzuki Swift and a few others in this 'supermini' segment, and I've gotta say the yaris had the best by far. (The Swift was the absolute worst.)

Guess you have to remember that in this segment, price is king and IMHO you'd expect corners to be cut in some places...

That said, if I find I'm not happy with mine when I pick it up, I'll be letting the dealer know in most simple to understand terms !
Ferret_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 02:35 PM   #47
grampi

Drives: Corolla
I still say there's got to be something you can have a body shop spray on that looks better and lasts longer than the stick-on films.
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 02:40 PM   #48
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
perhaps buff the car with vegetable oil...anything will fly off....ok so maybe not practical, but that is what they say to do with your headlights...

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:41 PM   #49
grampi

Drives: Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
perhaps buff the car with vegetable oil...anything will fly off....ok so maybe not practical, but that is what they say to do with your headlights...
????????
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:39 PM   #50
pp.sweet

Drives: Red Yaris HatchBack
what he said...use WHAT!!

wELCOME TO oUR wORLD..
pp.sweet is offline   Reply With Quote