Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-19-2007, 05:56 AM   #1
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Arrrrrrgh! Stupid me...

Trying to get out of a very tight parking spot next to a van... It was going perfect, but I did not take into account the van's front bumper sticking out more than I thought... So with a heart-wrenching scrape and a "bong" sound, I now have some battle scars on the side of my baby

Thankfully most of it was external and I could wipe it off with a damp cloth, but there are some more permanent problems:

Barely visible, but there's a dent right in the middle of the door...

This is a big streak down the door, but it seems to be a gummy material on the outside of the paint, maybe some of the van's clearcoat? I tried to rub it off with a damp cloth, but WD-40 might be more appropriate.

This is the worst spot, on the edge of the actual car frame, down to the bone

So what do you guys recommend for that last spot? can a touch-up pen be enough, or will there still be a risk of rust?

Man, I was so pissed, I just floored it once I got on the road, got a nice chirp going into second gear, it was somehow soothing... But still, this is all my fault, I though I could just squeeze past... guess not...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:19 AM   #2
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Drives: Willow is a '07 Red Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to death is my gift Send a message via MSN to death is my gift Send a message via Yahoo to death is my gift
Oh crap! That totally blows. And I bet it sucks even more knowing that you did it yourself. Trust me, I've been there. I had an apartment entrance gate close on my brand new 2001 Protege'. Scraped the ENTIRE right side of my car.

I can't help with your question but I can sure sympathize with you.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:41 AM   #3
jdium
Mr Attitude

Drives: Blazing Blue 5 Spd
Ouch, that sucks very much bad. As for the last spot, a touch up pen will work to prevent rust if you are thorough, but you gotta make sure to keep a nice coat of wax on it to help the protection...
Old 07-19-2007, 08:07 AM   #4
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Sorry to hear that, Thomas. I did the exact same thing in my old Chevy... it is a very sickening sound!
Old 07-19-2007, 08:44 AM   #5
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Gues you'll need to prime the spot first and then use the touch up. They have primer in pens also. I think you will not have to worry about rust if you prime first.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:02 AM   #6
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Gaaah! I'm so sorry, poor lil chili pepper...

I banged my door on rock wall first week I got it, good sized chip right on the edge. I got decent results with paint pen. I also used clearcoat pen over that. Used a scrubber pad like you use for dishes to smooth in between coats.

Are you going to try the hairdryer + compressed air trick for the dent?
Old 07-19-2007, 09:05 AM   #7
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
rubbing coupound will get most of that out, as for the spot missing paint.... yeah that sux
Old 07-19-2007, 07:13 PM   #8
Razr
YRS WHOR

Drives: White 2007 Yaris E-Limited 5dr
Oh nooo! man that sucks.

You should cover up that exposed edge with touch up paint ASAP seeing as there's raw metal visible - you should have got a small can of paint with the car. While there's no way you're going to be able to brush it on good enough to live with, at least you'll be protecting the body from any rust.

The more minor stuff will probably just buff out with something like Meguiars Scratch X or a light cutting wax.

Then again, I'd expect it'll only cost 2500-3500 Baht for a full professional repair job, including fixing the dent.
Razr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:10 PM   #9
bugnuts

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback BBP
eTiMaGo, You did not mention the results of the accident, did you damage the van and if so did it get reported to the owner or police? was this a hit and run
Old 07-19-2007, 09:11 PM   #10
Razr
YRS WHOR

This is Thailand - parking scrapes are nearly always "hit & run".

In the two years I owned my last car, I had the drivers door punched in & scraped twice, and the front bumper and guard smashed in - 3 accidents requiring "surgery" all while parked. And another 3 incidents while not parked on top of that! The people around here aren't the best/safest in the world LOL.

Fortunately repairs are cheap (eTiMaGo's will cost about USD$100 give or take), so insurance isn't too expensive even though you're almost certain to claim once or twice a year.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:32 PM   #11
Safariworld

Drives: Yaris S
Was it one of those long wheelbase HIACE with the giant overhang bumpers?

I think Razr is right, better to just take it for some body and paint work rather than a DIY touch up. The only proble with that is the lead time required for the shop.
Safariworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:44 PM   #12
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Well, the van was an old, beat up company delivery van, so I doubt the driver would notice the damage but I did check, there was just a bit of red paint at the bumper's corner, and some scuffing, nothing major.

I'll check with my insurance if they can work out anything, there's actually a body shop down the road, I always see some really beat up cars there, they seem to do a good job. But first I'l put a dab of touchup paint on the bare metal just in case.

Oh and Razr, have you ever been to south korea? drivers there are WAY worse when it comes to bumping and scraping, it's like they just don't care, the smarter ones put those metal "kangaroo bars" or whatever they're called, like we see on some taxis here... crazy place

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 07-19-2007, 10:13 PM   #13
Razr
YRS WHOR

Nope, never been to South Korea, but it's pretty difficult to imagine worse drivers, heh. Here's an interesting stat I found at an ASEAN website:

"The Asia and Pacific region contributes 44% of global road deaths, although it has only around 14% of the world's motorized vehicle fleet."

I guess that puts it into perspective :)
Old 07-19-2007, 10:16 PM   #14
Razr
YRS WHOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Well, the van was an old, beat up company delivery van, so I doubt the driver would notice the damage
That van is probably responsible for 100+ damaged cars a year - so whatever damage you did to him is just plain karma
Old 07-19-2007, 10:32 PM   #15
Safariworld

Etimago, heres something to make you feel a bit better. This is a recent bit of collision damage to my car. A friend borrowed it and smashed up the front bumper. In the photo, the middle portion was secured with a piece of string to stop it from dragging on the floor. The plastic cover under the engine was also torn off. Seeing my car like this was not a good thing. It was very very time consuming to fix.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:58 PM   #16
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
thats a nice front bumper...where can i get one!!! ??? :(
Old 07-19-2007, 11:09 PM   #17
Safariworld

Haha... more like WAS a nice bumper. Its fixed now.

Its the Ings+1 N-Spec kit. There are 2 distributors in Australia. Heres the link:

http://www.ings-net.com/english/pro-...a/oceania.html
Old 07-19-2007, 11:21 PM   #18
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safariworld View Post
Etimago, heres something to make you feel a bit better. This is a recent bit of collision damage to my car. A friend borrowed it and smashed up the front bumper. In the photo, the middle portion was secured with a piece of string to stop it from dragging on the floor. The plastic cover under the engine was also torn off. Seeing my car like this was not a good thing. It was very very time consuming to fix.

Ouch ouch ouch... Is your friend still alive? I would have broken his neck if I was you

And if I'm not mistaken that was an original bumper from Japan, right?

Bye bye 1NZ...