Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-15-2008, 11:16 AM   #1
jdreichenbach
I've made a post!

Drives: BSP 2009 Yaris Sedan
What do I need for Sirius Install in 2009 Yaris Sedan

I have a 2009 Yaris Sedan that has a factory radio that is satellite ready. I need to know what I can buy to hook up Sirius so I can use my radio controls to listen to sirius? If you go through toyota it's over $500, but I noticed the scc1 and sc1 parts don't say they are compatible with Yaris at all.
jdreichenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
weslowski

Drives: yaris
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1188560395256
weslowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by weslowski View Post
As far as I can tell, this is just the portable receiver. Extra stuff is needed to attempt to use radio controls. I used to have XM awhile ago. But there was no compatibility with the OEM radio headunit to be able to control the satelite radio.

What I have found, and what I'm wondering will work or not, is this:

http://www.toyotapartsoutlet.com/scr...product=297561

Can anyone tell me if this would work? And what I would need in addition to (if any) to what comes with this. Unfortunately the page doesn't give much information about it. Of course, there is also the concern about voiding a warranty as well....

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
Brian

Drives: '07 Yaris turbo, '11 Juke
I bought the Sirius car kit for $30 + subscription and use the FM transmitter built into the
Sirius receiver with my OEM head unit and everything works perfect and was cheap.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #5
DevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I bought the Sirius car kit for $30 + subscription and use the FM transmitter built into the
Sirius receiver with my OEM head unit and everything works perfect and was cheap.
What specific car kit do you have? What Sirius receiver?

Are you able to change stations via the headunit? That's the biggest thing. I'm looking to have satellite without having to have an extra receiver laying around in the car.

When I had my XM, I had a separate receiver for the XM, for which I had to stick that ugly antennae to the roof, loose my power outlet (due to it needing power), and control stations and other settings via the XM receiver, so I had to have it stuck somewhere near/on the dash.

I'd like to avoid that. I suppose I could have just had the dealer activate it for me right there. But I didn't think about it.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
Old 08-13-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
hpvampiress

Drives: Black 5 door Liftback
I'm so confused.

I went to Best Buy last week, and impulsively became interested in having Sirius (or XM) radio in my 2009 Yaris.

I asked the folks working there, and they said that I had to go to my dealer to have it installed. So today I called my dealer, and EEEK $450(!!!) for the receiver and installation. My parade has officially been rained on.

There's gotta be a better way. I've been looking through all the posts on Sirius, but now I'm just very, very confused.

I found this on Bestbuy.com : http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1181831772411

But I'm confused as to whether this is just the installation or what...and I'm not sure why Bestbuy told me that my dealership would have to do my installation.

And then I found this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1188560395256

So I'm guessing that I would buy this, and the first link is just the installation, so it'd be about $250 all together? Or am I totally wrong?

Haaaallllppp?
hpvampiress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
I was wondering this same thing, but after seeing how much it cost to get it so you could use the factory equipment to change stations and whatnot I don't think I'm going to bother. I'll just use my Zune.
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:09 PM   #8
Brian

Drives: '07 Yaris turbo, '11 Juke
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilGirl View Post
What specific car kit do you have? What Sirius receiver?

Are you able to change stations via the headunit? That's the biggest thing. I'm looking to have satellite without having to have an extra receiver laying around in the car.

When I had my XM, I had a separate receiver for the XM, for which I had to stick that ugly antennae to the roof, loose my power outlet (due to it needing power), and control stations and other settings via the XM receiver, so I had to have it stuck somewhere near/on the dash.

I'd like to avoid that. I suppose I could have just had the dealer activate it for me right there. But I didn't think about it.
Don't know the model # but its on older one and has been discontiued,
probably why I got it so cheap. I can only change stations via the sirius receiver.
If you wanna change it through the head unit you will probably have to get
an after market one. I can plug my receiver into the aux jack but didn't
feel like buying the cable so I'm still using the FM transmitter which works fine.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:15 PM   #9
DevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
If you wanna change it through the head unit you will probably have to get an after market one.
Ah, yes, the typical aftermarket factor. I've done that on almost all of my prior cars. But that's because it either was stereo only (no cassette or cd deck), stereo with only cassette, or stereo with cd but no aux input.

I like the stereo that came with the Yaris. It has the radio, cd, and aux input. Only thing I'm missing is the satellite....

Old 09-22-2009, 07:20 PM   #10
weslowski

Drives: yaris
DO IT YOUR SELF never pay to get something that simple installed in your yaris. easy as plug and play. buy from best buy but dont ask them anything, their all stupid!
weslowski is offline   Reply With Quote