Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
slnko2003

Drives: Toyota Yaris Semi-Auto
Smile Yaris wont start

Car now wont start at all although all the lights in the dashboard light up but the engine wont turn over at all - not even a click from the starter motor.

I am so disappointed in my little Yaris - I had thought from all the reviews that the car was a great reliable little runner but I have only had it for a few months and the problems just seem to be getting worse. Now I cant even start it - most depressing.

Any advice greatly appreciated as this is really making me wish I had bought a Corsa as my friend advised me. She builds kit cars so she knows her onions.

I hate to bother her as she stays so far away but I am losing hope that my little car will ever be totally reliable and am afraid to take it any distance from home (if it ever starts again!).

She has said on the phone it may be a problem with a fuse or possibly a switch in the pedal section as it needs the brake depressed before the car will start. She also mentioned resetting the ecu by removing the battery terminals or getting what is known as an ELM OBD device from ebay and using it to reset the ecu.

Have already tried both keyfobs.

Yaris - 2005
1 Litre
Semi Automatic
Petrol

Thanks for any replies...
slnko2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I would start by checking the following:

1. 15A EFI fuse (which supplies power to the ECM)

2. 15A AM2 and 30A ST fuse (both of which are involved in the starting process)

3. Brake switch - Check continuity on the switch using a multimeter

4. Neutral/Start Switch - I am not sure if the semi-auto has one, but the normal auto has a switch on the transmission housing which lets the ECM know that the car is in neutral.

Does the car have a key or the push to start switch?

Resetting the ECU may help if it has the push to start system. An OBD device won't be of any value there, just disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes and plug it back in.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
slnko2003

Car has a key.

Thanks for the quick reply CT I will get that tested first thing.

Thanks lots will post back and let you know how I get on.
>;o)

Also when driving the car after I first bought it in auto mode when it changes gear the car seems to slow down between gear changes is this normal?
The garage told me it is and its an old gentleman who is very highly regarded where I live who runs the garage as being honest that sold me the car.
In manual mode the slow down doesnt occur.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by slnko2003 View Post
Car has a key.

Thanks for the quick reply CT I will get that tested first thing.

Thanks lots will post back and let you know how I get on.
>;o)

Also when driving the car after I first bought it in auto mode when it changes gear the car seems to slow down between gear changes is this normal?
The garage told me it is and its an old gentleman who is very highly regarded where I live who runs the garage as being honest that sold me the car.
In manual mode the slow down doesnt occur.
That's a question someone else with a semi-auto will have to answer.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
slnko2003

Ms

Went out in the morning and started first time.

This isnt the first time the exact same thing has happened it just seems to be leave the car for a few hours and then it will start.

Am going to buy Obd Bluetooth scanner I have seen on ebay to find the fault code before I return it to the garage for a check.

Seems it might be the ECU according to the garage.

Thanks again

Ivana
Old 08-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Went out in the morning and started first time.

This isnt the first time the exact same thing has happened it just seems to be leave the car for a few hours and then it will start.

Am going to buy Obd Bluetooth scanner I have seen on ebay to find the fault code before I return it to the garage for a check.

Seems it might be the ECU according to the garage.

Thanks again

Ivana

Unless the "Check Engine" light is on, an OBD scanner won't tell you anything. You would really need the Toyota specific tool (AKA TechStream) to be able to find out, when it won't start, what is happening. The OBD tools just check the ECM fault codes that are related to emissions.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
slnko2003

The round circle with the exclamation mark is coming on and was on so I presume this is the engine / ecu warning light?
Old 08-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
This?

That's usually the parking brake warning light, but it can also warn of brake system issues.

On US-spec cars it just says 'BRAKE'

Cheers! M2
Old 08-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

^ That is correct - That is the parking brake / low brake fluid level warning light, not the check engine light.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #10
slnko2003

There appear to be two of these on my display one on the far left of the console display and is the parking brake and another similar one on the right which is the one that always comes on when you start the car as well??? It looks like the above but without the extra two semi circles - ie its a full circle with an exclamation mark in the centre?
Old 08-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
There appear to be two of these on my display one on the far left of the console display and is the parking brake and another similar one on the right which is the one that always comes on when you start the car as well??? It looks like the above but without the extra two semi circles - ie its a full circle with an exclamation mark in the centre?
On most cars the "check engine" / "Malfunction Indicator" light has an icon that looks like an engine. Do you have the owners manual for your car, as that will have the explanation of all of the symbols?
Old 08-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #12
ciscobear

Drives: Toyota Belta
Take a pic and post it...
ciscobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #13
slnko2003

Mr

Garage tested and cant find the problem.

No engine management codes.

When it happens again I will take a photo so the garage can try and help.

They said that it can sometimes happen with the brake switch causing a problem.

They didnt replace it though - lol
Old 08-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #14
slnko2003

Broke down again today.

My female car mechanic came out and tried to fix it.
Battery pull didnt work so she says it will most likely be a dodgy switch or relay most likely a sensor perhaps in the brake pedal switch or gearbox Neutral sensor.

It looks like it might be the gear change selector mechanism or gearbox.

She got back in car and tested the gear change in various positions then switched to manual and within a few minutes she had the car started.

The symbol that always lights up looks like a gear cog in red with the exclamation symbol inside , the engine warning light is on and most of the others as well.

She says it might be gear warning light but as she is only a Lotus/Rover/Opel mechanic she doesnt know for sure need to look it up in the manual or better still get it back to the garage.

Thanks for all replies by the way, it is appreciated...

Picture of the dashboard is on the way!
Old 08-31-2012, 09:33 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Broke down again today.

My female car mechanic came out and tried to fix it.
Battery pull didnt work so she says it will most likely be a dodgy switch or relay most likely a sensor perhaps in the brake pedal switch or gearbox Neutral sensor.

It looks like it might be the gear change selector mechanism or gearbox.

She got back in car and tested the gear change in various positions then switched to manual and within a few minutes she had the car started.

The symbol that always lights up looks like a gear cog in red with the exclamation symbol inside , the engine warning light is on and most of the others as well.

She says it might be gear warning light but as she is only a Lotus/Rover/Opel mechanic she doesnt know for sure need to look it up in the manual or better still get it back to the garage.

Thanks for all replies by the way, it is appreciated...

Picture of the dashboard is on the way!
If all of those lights are on when it won't start, they are probably just in the normal mode where they light up until the car starts. If they remain on after it is started, then they are indicating an issue.

All of the starting interlocks are simply switches, so it would be very easy, when it won't start, to unplug the brake switch connector or the neutral start switch connector and insert a paper clip between the two terminals to see if it will then start.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #16
E TEX YARIS

Drives: 2002 Echo
Hello all. I just joined the forum as I work on an Echo from time to time.

You need to find a mechanic with some electrical knowledge. Someone who can use a multimeter. The problem you are having is an electrical issue. Apparently the battery is good for starting so the problem is in the starting circuit for the starter. I would start at the starter solenoid and work back to the ignition switch.

Check the starter relay, make sure it is working good. You may try swapping with a similar relay to test. Then go to the neutral/park switch or clutch switch. Not sure which you have as I am not familiar with a semi-auto tranny. Something is causing an intermittent contact in the starting circuit. That is why you can start at times.

The usual suspect in an automatic is the neutral/park switch.

Basically when you turn the key to start, voltage flows from the switch, thru the neutral/park switch, thru the relay coil to ground. This activates the starting relay. When this happens, voltage flows to the starter solenoid. The starter solenoid activates thus engaging the starter. Having the wiring diagram helps. What appear to be happening is that the control circuit for the relay is not working. So the relay is not activating. So when you turn the key you get nothing and hear nothing.

BTW if that is Glasgow, Scotland, UK I have been to Turso, Wick, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and of course Lock Ness. Loved the country and the people.
E TEX YARIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #17
bfe71730

Drives: 2011 Yaris 2dr Hachback
just started having this problem, drive the car a little, get back in and try to start it and it dies, try again and will keep turning over but won't start. only done it once, no check engine lights came on, could it be bad gas?? fuel pump??
bfe71730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfe71730 View Post
just started having this problem, drive the car a little, get back in and try to start it and it dies, try again and will keep turning over but won't start. only done it once, no check engine lights came on, could it be bad gas?? fuel pump??
Could be fuel related, or with yours being a 2009, it could be transponder key related. If the ECM doesn't authenticate the transponder key, the engine will crank away, but will not start.