Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-10-2012, 03:22 AM   #1
HIXTAR

Drives: 2007 Yaris YRS Hatch
07 Yaris Horn

Since the stock horn is weak I went to the auto store to get a better one. I picked up the larger of the two that were there. Now that I got the bumper off I found that the stock horn has one electrical conector and the new one has two. Whats the go with that ? Is there a way to get it working or not

Thanks guys.
HIXTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:42 AM   #2
HIXTAR

Drives: 2007 Yaris YRS Hatch
A friend told me that it just needs a jumper wire. I tested it and all is good. The jumper wire just goes from one of the connectors to the rear of the horn.
HIXTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The single connection to the horn is the positive (+) wire. The ground is done at the mounting bolt, so just get a ring terminal and make a little wire to go from the (-) terminal of the horn to the mounting bolt.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
Hi ctscott, so can i just upgrade to,say,hella supertones or bosch horns (both with 2 horns, hi and lo) without having to wire a relay kit?

I mean,what specs do i look at during a horn purchase that will tell me to not just use the stock horn wiring?

Because i was thinking of just jumping the positive wire and grounding the new horn, and im not looking at changing the 10A fuse to a higher (IMO u wouldnt advise of either)

Yaris sedan owner here. Thanks!
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboy View Post
Hi ctscott, so can i just upgrade to,say,hella supertones or bosch horns (both with 2 horns, hi and lo) without having to wire a relay kit?

I mean,what specs do i look at during a horn purchase that will tell me to not just use the stock horn wiring?

Because i was thinking of just jumping the positive wire and grounding the new horn, and im not looking at changing the 10A fuse to a higher (IMO u wouldnt advise of either)

Yaris sedan owner here. Thanks!
You can avoid having to wire in a relay, as long as stick with a horn set that draws less than 10A.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
jcboy

Got it. Question is, which ones do? How can i check from specs on the box?
One topic here stated they upgraded to a 15A fuse, would u advise the same?

Or do u have suggestions which horns draw around 10A only and are commonly available like stebel, hella, bosch? Thanks a lot, iv been reading this forum and iv observed ur quite a guru here esp in electricals. :)
Old 12-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboy View Post
Got it. Question is, which ones do? How can i check from specs on the box?
One topic here stated they upgraded to a 15A fuse, would u advise the same?

Or do u have suggestions which horns draw around 10A only and are commonly available like stebel, hella, bosch? Thanks a lot, iv been reading this forum and iv observed ur quite a guru here esp in electricals. :)
It should definitely say the current draw on the box and/or on the manufacturer's website. My Steibels for example are 4A each, for a total of 8A. I recently bought a cheap imitation of the Steibels from Autozone (for $25 for the set) and they had the same rating.

Hella Supertones are 5.5A each, so 11A for the pair. This is theoretically too much for the 10A fuse, but many people are using them without blowing fuses, so chances are that their spec is off by a bit.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
jcboy

Soundd good. Looks like ill be looking into the the supertones which sound more oem-ish but pretty loud too. The pedestrians here in manila are a big PITA too you see.. :(

Thanks again man!
Old 12-02-2012, 11:45 PM   #9
b20vteg
no show, no go :(

Drives: 2012 yaris 3dr hb
Send a message via MSN to b20vteg
nice thread jack jcboy lol.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:58 PM   #10
jcboy

Oh yeah thanks for reminding b20vteg.

sorry to thread-ride on your topic hixtar. Twas related so.i did. Lol.