Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
BruceLee

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatchback
Philips DRL Flicker Issue

After reading some post, I have followed the basic instruction of wiring the fog light like the following, but here comes the LED blinking issue.

Could anybody tell me where am I wrong?

For the switch, instead of connection with the ignition fuse as the first photos shows, I connect my switch to the "CONSTANT POWER" place shown in the second photos... everthing else remains the same as the first photos

foglite.jpg

P1000397.jpg

Last edited by BruceLee; 11-29-2012 at 09:57 PM.
BruceLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
BruceLee

Oh, btw, I did not use the OEM switch, just an aftermaket switch, and I dont need the indicator lights up on the dashboard...
Old 11-09-2012, 12:05 AM   #3
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Why do you have a SPDT relay there? (Bosch relay)
Wouldn't it be better to have a SPST relay?
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:16 AM   #4
BruceLee

forgot to mention that, yes, I use SPST, do I miss something and lead to that blinking issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Why do you have a SPDT relay there? (Bosch relay)
Wouldn't it be better to have a SPST relay?
Old 11-09-2012, 07:03 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The relay type doesn't matter. With a SPDT, you just aren't using the second pole.

Where did you connect the power wire for the actual fogs? Are they connected to the battery, or did you connect them to the headlight power wire?
Old 11-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
BruceLee

Hi, Scott, Yes, on spst relay, "30" to the battey with 5Amp fuse, "87" connected with two fog light positive wire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The relay type doesn't matter. With a SPDT, you just aren't using the second pole.

Where did you connect the power wire for the actual fogs? Are they connected to the battery, or did you connect them to the headlight power wire?
Old 11-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceLee View Post
Hi, Scott, Yes, on spst relay, "30" to the battey with 5Amp fuse, "87" connected with two fog light positive wire.
In that case, you may just have a bad set of LED fogs. I would take the fog lamps and try powering them directly from the battery, without a switch or relay in between, to see if they still have the same issue.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
BruceLee

Before I test it by directly connecting to battery, here is what I just did.
I let my friend drive my car and I noticed that when the engine is idle, say waiting in front of stop sign, the led is blinking; next when reversing the car out from a parking lot, at that speed, the LED is blinking as well; But while driving OR the car is put into "P" position (my car is an AT), the LED fog is fine.

the LED FOG light is set of Philips Daylight 4, I did not use the module came with the box :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg led-daylight-4_460_460.jpg (22.9 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by BruceLee; 11-29-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
OK, I let my friend drive my car and I noticed that when the engine is idle, say waiting in front of stop sign, the led is blink;
next when reverse the car out from a parking lot, at that speed, the LED is blinking as well;
But while driving OR the car is put into "P" position (my car is an AT), the LED fog is fine.
(the LED FOG light is set of Philips Daylight 4, I did not use the module came with the box)
It may be that the voltage is too low, until the alternator starts outputting more with the car in motion, but again I would try connecting it directly to the battery to see if they still flash.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
BruceLee

But in that way, how could control the the LED fog light? I mean, the light will be on all the time...

Quote:
It may be that the voltage is too low, until the alternator starts outputting more with the car in motion, but again I would try connecting it directly to the battery to see if they still flash.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
But in that way, how could control the the LED fog light? I mean, the light will be on all the time...
It is simply a test - don't leave it that way.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #12
BruceLee

OK. I can test it later today,
But lets assume it won't blink after the test, then how could I solve the problem...

Quote:
It is simply a test - don't leave it that way.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
OK. I can test it later today,
But lets assume it won't blink after the test, then how could I solve the problem...
If anything I suspect that they will still blink. It may be that the control box is required and that there is some smarts in the lights where they flash when they see a voltage lower than a certain threshold and that the control box regulates the incoming voltage, so with it the lights won't flash when RPMs are low.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #14
BruceLee

Forget to reply earlier, sorry, been through my busy final at the end of semester
I discarded the relay, and simply connected it with the switch to the battery, without control box...
and, sad, the flicker continued while in low RPM, I will update later after I install the control box...
and Thanks a lot, Scott
Old 11-29-2012, 10:51 PM   #15
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Does your car have factory DRLs? In the instructions, Philips states you must disable it before you hook it up or get their compatibility kit. Philips is quite reputable so I don't foresee any faults from the kit. Attached instructions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf daylight4.pdf (1.20 MB, 25 views)
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #16
BruceLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Does your car have factory DRLs? In the instructions, Philips states you must disable it before you hook it up or get their compatibility kit. Philips is quite reputable so I don't foresee any faults from the kit. Attached instructions.
Ahh.... almost forget that, thanks!!! do you know I could just unplug that DRL relay to "disable" it as the following thread said?
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894
Old 11-30-2012, 11:47 PM   #17
screenprintr

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris
I'm sure glad you asked the question. I'm planning on installing Fog lights. Now I know where the DRL is incase I need to disconnect them.
screenprintr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:47 AM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

He is not connecting the fogs to the headlight output, so the DRL module has nothing to do with the issue (nor with installing non-LED fogs).

As mentioned in post #14 above, he installed them without using the module that Philllips included for driving them, so I suspect that the flashing is due to that.