Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-11-2009, 11:54 AM   #1
chai
Go Duke!

Drives: '09 Sedan AT
Synthetic oil and dipstick?

Anyone else find it somewhat difficult to get a good reading off a fresh synthetic oil change? I did my first oil change at around 5K mark, drained all the old oil out and put in 5W30 Pennzoil Platinum (~3.3-3.4 qts) and a TRD filter. At first I was surprised to see oil splatter all over the dipstick - but have since measured twice after parking overnight in the garage. ~50F in garage, 5F outside...

Seems to read about 3/4 in the good zone (thicker, fresh oil) with thin splatters all along the dipstick.
<|L|===========|====|F|==============

Is this normal behavior with synthetic oils? It's unlikely I put in too much oil...
chai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Not unusual-I've experienced the same. It will get easier to read when you get a few miles on it.

The level you indicated seems about right for the amount of oil you added.
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
I find it nearly impossible to get a good reading on a fresh oil change. Which reminds me, I should go check my oil level :)
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
My neighbor has a Yaris and after my first oil change, I must've looked at the dipstick about 12 times and couldn't get a good reading. He walked over and smiled and said "I had the same problem...it's hard to get a reading." For a while I thought I was losing it. I have never had this problem on any other car of mine except the Yaris.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
same here . Best to check it following morning after sitting overnight . May take up to 3 times to get a good reading .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:02 PM   #6
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

It's the same with any fresh oil. Let it sit for a few minutes after shutoff, wipe the stick off really well, reinsert it, and look at it in a good light. Outside in the sun is best.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:05 PM   #7
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
^+1
Old 12-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Best thing is to pour red food coloring in right after the oil change.

just kidding
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:18 PM   #9
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Yet another reason not to use synthetic oil! Conventional oil is number one for dipstick reading!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #10
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by schleppy View Post
I find it nearly impossible to get a good reading on a fresh oil change. Which reminds me, I should go check my oil level :)
This. Even with normal oil it is really difficult because of how clear it is.
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #11
chai
Go Duke!

Drives: '09 Sedan AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Yet another reason not to use synthetic oil! Conventional oil is number one for dipstick reading!
Yeah, I think I went a bit overkill for a daily driver, but a higher quality filter and higher quality oil can't hurt.

Glad to hear it's not just me having a hard time reading the dipstick after a fresh oil change with the Yaris.

I'll upload the picture of how I got the factory filter off at some point, should make some good laughing material...
chai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:28 PM   #12
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
my issue/concern isn't so much the ability to see the oil as much as it is the oil smudging above the actual level making it hard to read. It's almost as if the combination of tube angle and flimsiness of the stick wich makes the level appear skewed once pulled out. Kind of hard to explain though my wife's Scion suffers from the same thing.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:53 PM   #13
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I think some of it's from oil splashing up the dipstick tube and then dripping or smudging off on the dipstick.

That's one reason to wait a while after engine shutoff, another of course being to let oil drain down from the head to the pan.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:25 AM   #14
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
seems like the fresh oil doesn't want to adhere to the stick . Is frustrating . Gets better over time . Then top off if needed .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote