Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
Connoisseur_of_fine_cars
Oh what a feeling

Drives: Yaris
Clutch pedal assembly interference with foot

I drove my Yaris for the first time with a pair of dress shoes U.S. size 8 . Yes, I have small feet. So I shouldn't be having problem with this car's pedal, but I'm. When I press all the way down on the clutch pedal, the front of my shoe touches the back metal part of the clutch pedal. My dress shoes is a little long because it has narrow front and the soles are stiff. I'm having tough time pressing the clutch all the way down. So, I position my foot lower, using toes to push the clutch, but I would always forget to do this and my toes get tired after a while. I've driven many stick shift cars, and this is the first time I ran into this problem.

Last edited by Connoisseur_of_fine_cars; 09-21-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Connoisseur_of_fine_cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
I'm a US size 11/12, and I don't have a problem. I learned on my previous car that I needed to use more of the toe of my shoe for the clutch pedal. So that might just need to be something you need to train yourself to do. Yeah, other cars might be different depending on how they arrange the clutch pedal arm. Now, when I switch to my winter BOOTS, which are a size 12 with massive soles, then I have to clutch a different way. I still have trouble in the winters with this car.
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Not much you can do about it except to remember to use your toe. The ergonomics of the Yaris just makes it unavoidable. I too have never had a problem on my other cars but the seats are MUCH lower in my other cars than they are in the Yaris.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I have a similar problem in the winter with my heavy boots. Perhaps a big foot mod would help? That may give you enough clearance on the side to use more of your sole and less toe.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
Connoisseur_of_fine_cars
Oh what a feeling

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
If you guys want my opinion,the best way to clutch (at least for myself) is to have your heel firmly planted directly in front of the clutch and use the ball (area right below your toes) of your foot to rest on the pedal, when you depress the clutch the pedal should slide towards your toes without having to shift your foot nor your toes. When you release the clutch it should be able to slide back to the ball.
This doesn't seem to work for me. Probably because I have small feet.
Connoisseur_of_fine_cars is offline   Reply With Quote