Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-23-2011, 01:22 AM   #1
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Oil loss in new car

Hi Yarisworlders,

I have a 2010 3 door Yaris lb with 6,600 miles. I noticed that my oil on my dipstick has dropped slightly, leading me to believe that I'm consuming oil somehow. Is this normal? It kind of bothers me.
Thank you.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:36 AM   #2
Stove

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door
My 10' 5-door doesn't lose/consume any (not a noticeable amount anyway) between oil changes. I have almost 20,000 on the car and I don't baby it at all. I would be concerned as well if I was seeing oil loss at 6600 miles.
You should have had at least 1 oil/filter change by now. Check around the engine for traces of oil. I'd look around the oil filter first to see if the seal is weeping. If it was me and I didn't see any obvious leaks, I'd check it daily and if it continues to lose oil, I'd stop by the dealer and have them look at it.
Stove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:00 AM   #3
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
When are you checking the level, right after driving or before driving after the car sits overnight? My rule of thumb is to ck in AM when cold. This has allowed the oil time to get back into the pan where the measurement is taken. (My opinion and may not be that of others)

Ditto Stove's advice.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:19 AM   #4
bentjazz

I'm checking the car when it's cold.
I check the oil level weekly. I've always been kind of anal/retentive about oil level and paranoid about leaks. My old Corolla started leaking around 80,000 miles, but this is ridiculous. This is disconcerting.
Thanks Stove and Klink.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #5
Yury

Drives: 2008 5 Door Liftback Auto
how much is the loss? how consistent? i mean there's always a way to misread the dipstick. i have different readings in my prelude occasionally - say one cold overnight and cold 24 hours after (car sitting all that time), may show more the second time.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:10 AM   #6
bentjazz

Yury, it was around 3-4 mm off from the top of the dipstick. I usually ask them to fill it to the max indicator on the dipstick, that way it's easier for me to tell if there's a leak. I also read the dipstick at the same spot each week.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
Gogogordy

Drives: Miss my Yaris, love my Jeep jk
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post
Hi Yarisworlders,

I have a 2010 3 door Yaris lb with 6,600 miles. I noticed that my oil on my dipstick has dropped slightly, leading me to believe that I'm consuming oil somehow. Is this normal? It kind of bothers me.
Thank you.
New engines sometimes consume oil during the break-in process, even though the manufacturer says there is no break-in required, parts are still seating themselves and settling in.

I wouldn't panic, just keep an eye on things it's likely just an anomaly.
Gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #8
Yury

Drives: 2008 5 Door Liftback Auto
Quote:
Yury, it was around 3-4 mm off from the top of the dipstick. I usually ask them to fill it to the max indicator on the dipstick, that way it's easier for me to tell if there's a leak. I also read the dipstick at the same spot each week.
hold on...did you check the level twice yourself and noted the difference?

also asking them to fill it to the certain level is pretty fruitless imo. because they will not keep it cold like you do, so their level would have little to do with what you see. Besides specific instructions like that have a way of falling thought the cracks. You can only trust yourself unfortunately.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:46 PM   #9
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
I'm checking the car when it's cold.
I check the oil level weekly. I've always been kind of anal/retentive about oil level and paranoid about leaks. My old Corolla started leaking around 80,000 miles, but this is ridiculous. This is disconcerting.
Thanks Stove and Klink.
Welcome. One more thing came to mind, are you checking on a flat/level surface? Just another thought.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:49 PM   #10
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Is it quite cold where you're at ? If colder temps and setting overnight the oil condenses in the pan making it look lower on the stick than when looking at it in warmer weather . Might want to check it about an hour or so after use to get a good reading . Give it a try and let us know if any difference in the level . Park it in same spot when checking , like stated above . These dipsticks do like to play with your mind . Good luck .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:19 AM   #11
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogogordy View Post
New engines sometimes consume oil during the break-in process, even though the manufacturer says there is no break-in required, parts are still seating themselves and settling in.

I wouldn't panic, just keep an eye on things it's likely just an anomaly.
Exactly.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #12
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
i really hate to give a reference to this thread but it could be the issue you are having.
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31470

i dont think any active members have found this issue on their yaris but its worth a shot to check out for urself

in my personal experience i have never seen any oil loss in the yaris. and i drive exactly the way my insurance company things a 20y/o will drive a hatchback :)

Last edited by yaris2010RS; 10-24-2011 at 12:11 PM.
yaris2010RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #13
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Drives: yaris
hells bells

over 25,000 miles on the 2010 HB

using mobil 1 since oil change 1

when it is changed by the dealer, oil is exactly at the
top line of the dipstick when flat ground and cold

after 6000 miles, oil is still exactly there... same level
(of course some is missing, it has to be missing, but it is not noticeable on dipstick)

in other words, these things do not lose oil or shouldn't anyway

I am sure if I wailed on the thing at a racetrack for 6000 miles the
oil would be at half dipstick or lower, due to excessive pcv valve blowby

normal driving, with occasional foot-to-floor passing moves on highway, I see no loss
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:29 AM   #14
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
My 2007 Owners Manual actually has a section called.
Facts about engine oil consumption and what they would consider normal.

I have never seen any used in my 2007.
Though my dealer must only go by whole quarts {5 quarts sound like it} as mine is always over the full line. After an oil change.

Last edited by BLH; 10-24-2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Add information.
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:55 PM   #15
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
[QUOTE=yaris2010RS;611191]i really hate to give a reference to this thread but it could be the issue you are having.
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31470

i dont think any active members have found this issue on their yaris but its worth a shot to check out for urself

Don't get me goin' on that matter again . Could be a possibility . The dipstick did read lower at that time . There's no oil seapage / leakage since the fix and now using synthetic 5w-20 . I check the gasket every week or so . Did so yesterday and all is well .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:10 PM   #16
bentjazz

Oh man, I hope it's not the gasket. Always something to worry about.
I do check the car on a flat surface. I hope this isn't something serious. Ugh.
Thank you for all the great input, Yarisworlders.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #17
bentjazz

Called Toyota and they said when I bring it in on Dec 13th for my oil change, they'll do some kind of test to see if there's a leak. I'll keep an eye on it until then....
Old 10-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #18
Gogogordy

Drives: Miss my Yaris, love my Jeep jk
Quote:
Called Toyota and they said when I bring it in on Dec 13th for my oil change, they'll do some kind of test to see if there's a leak. I'll keep an eye on it until then....
I would keep an eye on it all the time. Engines can and do "consume" oil, some more than others. From new, yes...sometimes. Sometimes they stop after a break-in, sometimes they don't. Some cars never do.

Good on you for checking, if they don't find a leak (here's to hoping) I'd still make a habit out of occasional dipsticking.

It's just a good habit to get into...
Gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote