Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-10-2007, 10:38 AM   #91
Doug007

Drives: 2007 Yaris S Sedan
Good Morning,

I joined this group just yesterday and this is my first post. I first changed my oil on my 07 S Sedan at 2,000 miles and have switched to Mobil 1 5-30 with OEM filters. I now have a filter/oil change every 5,000 miles. I commute daily and my combined mpg is 41 (my Yaris is now one year's old, 15,000 miles). Following is an interesting site I found that not only discusses oil, but other aspects of the car:

http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbi...oil_bible.html
Doug007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:45 AM   #92
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug007 View Post
Good Morning,

I joined this group just yesterday and this is my first post. I first changed my oil on my 07 S Sedan at 2,000 miles and have switched to Mobil 1 5-30 with OEM filters. I now have a filter/oil change every 5,000 miles. I commute daily and my combined mpg is 41 (my Yaris is now one year's old, 15,000 miles). Following is an interesting site I found that not only discusses oil, but other aspects of the car:

I found one thing on that site that already made me not trust it, it saaid Toyota has more sludge problems than any other, infacy it is Chrysler that has more sludge law suits,complates, problems, or what ever than anyone else
Old 04-10-2007, 12:51 PM   #93
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug007 View Post
Good Morning,

welcome to YW. i'll take a look at that site later when i have time.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:04 PM   #94
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
as stated before, we recommend still changing your oil at 5000 miles for 2 reasons (1) warranty issues that may come up down the road (2) sellability to next owner ( on your schedual that would only be 6 or 7 oil changes in 100k miles, I would not buy a car if someone only changed there oil that often)
Wrong thinking on (2)....if one shows records showing that the original owner changed the oil every 7,500 - 10,000 miles AND the oil was a premium synthetic (Mobile1 EP or Amosoil or equivalent), it would be foolish to hold this against them and not buy the car for that reason. Changing the synthetic oil less frequently is more protection for the engine then if one changed the mineral oil more frequently.

Using synthetic means not having to change the oil as frequently. So not only does it save on gas, it also saves with oil changes that are less frequent then if mineral oil was used.

To change the synthetic oil as frequently as mineral defeats the purpose of using synthetic in the first place.

Black Yaris, put the pipe down man....
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:10 PM   #95
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Quote:
most newer cars are every 5000 miles because they are more effecient, the whole 3000 miles thing is for ineffecient motors (mostly American) for times apast
Wrong thinking again....American cars are no less precision in creation then the exports....the REAL reason for the old "every 3,000 mile change" is marketing, greed, and all about garages making more $$$.

The every 3,000 miles changing rule was dead 25+ years ago...what has kept it alive are a very crooked auto industry and oil industry.

The reason Toyota dropped their requirements recently from 7,500 to 5,000 was because of the gelling/sludge issues with their Lexus engines because there were owners that didn't garage their cars at night, causing condensation of water inside the engine, causing the oil to gel or sledge up...and NOT because the oil broke down with more then 5,000 miles of usage....it's a water thing.

But for those that garage their cars at night or live in climates that produce no water condesation in the engine over night, this issue is moot.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:13 PM   #96
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Quote:
I found one thing on that site that already made me not trust it, it saaid Toyota has more sludge problems than any other, infacy it is Chrysler that has more sludge law suits,complates, problems, or what ever than anyone else
All makes have the gelling/sledge problem....it was Lexus that has been more publicized as of late, but if you do research you'll find the same issues with nearly ALL car makes. The bottom line is that regardless of the car make, if the car is allowed to collect condensation at night, it will have a sledge/gel problem with the oil....Lexus owners are more likely to have the $$ to make noise in court....one reason why you'll not hear of this issue from Hyundai owners ;-)
Old 04-10-2007, 04:16 PM   #97
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Quote:
That is just a myth jdubau, MANY new vehicles come with synthetic oil in them from the factory, like BMW, many Chryslers, many Mercedes, just to name a few
No not a myth at all....those higher priced premium brands spend more time and money pre-conditioning their motor internals to mitigate early break-in synthetic oil usage.

OTHERWISE, for owners of other cars, one should NOT use synthetic oil before the engine is broken in, and to do so can effect engine performance down the road.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:19 PM   #98
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Quote:
It does not state.... A Prius also takes 5w-20 or 0w-20 synthetic oil from the factory, even states it in the manual
so why would it matter where you live, and what temp it gets?
One of the whole reasons of switching to synthetic oil is that it does not break down as fast, heat being one of those major factors.
Gosh you are spewing all kinds of superstition these days....the viscosity does matter for different climates....just look at nearly any owners manual...when they talk about viscosity, they do it WITH A TEMPERATURE GRAPH....THE LOWER THE OUTSIDE AMBIENT TEMP THE LOWER THE VISCOSITY TO USE.....

Why do you think that the Yaris TSB for lighter oil usage WAS NOT ISSUED FOR CALIFORNIA TOYOTA OWNERS! I was at the dealer today, and he could not find that TSB on his computer...he did find it for other parts of the USA (cooler climates) however.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:16 PM   #99
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post
No not a myth at all....those higher priced premium brands spend more time and money pre-conditioning their motor internals to mitigate early break-in synthetic oil usage.

OTHERWISE, for owners of other cars, one should NOT use synthetic oil before the engine is broken in, and to do so can effect engine performance down the road.
Chino quote "... Shut up!" Yes it is a myth, I will bust out some resources to back that up if you would like?
Old 04-10-2007, 06:20 PM   #100
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post

Why do you think that the Yaris TSB for lighter oil usage WAS NOT ISSUED FOR CALIFORNIA TOYOTA OWNERS! I was at the dealer today, and he could not find that TSB on his computer...he did find it for other parts of the USA (cooler climates) however.
fine, cold climate only then,... I am still running 0w20, Cali is it's own world with is own rules.. and you Pavel seem you have your own lil sub Cali bubble where things work ass backwards for some reason...
Old 04-10-2007, 11:45 PM   #101
Kaotic Lazagna

so was buying 5W-20 a bad thing? guy from NAPA said it was fine, and that 0W is only needed in extreme cold climates.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:23 AM   #102
Black Yaris
der Zeck

5w20 is fine, don't mind Pavel, he lives in his own world.... If this easies your mind at all the Prius takes 5w-20 from the factory as well, many chryslers take 0w40 in ANY CLIMATE, that includes So. Cali
Old 04-11-2007, 12:26 AM   #103
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
5w20 is fine, don't mind Pavel, he lives in his own world.... If this easies your mind at all the Prius takes 5w-20 from the factory as well, many chryslers take 0w40 in ANY CLIMATE, that includes So. Cali
thank you, that does ease my mind a bit.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:38 AM   #104
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
Quote:
+1

with regards to the oil grade, simply put, the lower the first number, the lower the outside temp can be for starting your car. it just means it can be freezing outside and your oil is still doing its job. the second number is the trickier one. i know that all small hondas (fits, civic, etc) can take in 20 viscosity oil, for better fuel efficiency (lower friction coeffecient in the engine). your oil will do just fine. it wont ruin your engine and you'll probably get better mpg because of the viscosity level. i havent seen any tsb regarding oil 5w or 0w-20 oil yet, but im sure if people here say it exists, then it DOES...

--B
Old 04-11-2007, 01:10 AM   #105
Kaotic Lazagna

yup, getting better gas mileage with the 5W-20 synthetic oil.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:53 AM   #106
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
yup, getting better gas mileage with the 5W-20 synthetic oil.
I did some research on 5W-20 and 0W-20 and found that it will give better mileage, but may cause more engine wear over time compared with using 5W-30 or 0W-30. This was all discussed in a thread about the Toyota 5W-20 TSB. This is due to the size of the suspended particles staying the same but the film thickness is decreased. I'm sticking with 0W-30 and Napa Gold filters. Maybe even a mixture of the two weights. hmmm....
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:51 AM   #107
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
I did some research on 5W-20 and 0W-20 and found that it will give better mileage, but may cause more engine wear over time compared with using 5W-30 or 0W-30. This was all discussed in a thread about the Toyota 5W-20 TSB. This is due to the size of the suspended particles staying the same but the film thickness is decreased. I'm sticking with 0W-30 and Napa Gold filters. Maybe even a mixture of the two weights. hmmm....
good info, i havent heard about that or done much research about the 20 weights. time to start reading up again...

--B
Old 04-11-2007, 12:39 PM   #108
Kaotic Lazagna

hmmm, now you have me worried, but then again, Black Yaris said that the Prius comes with that weight and viscosity oil.