Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-22-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
Cheeseburger

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris 3-Door LB
Cross-country road trip

I've been lurking ever since I purchased my '09 Liftback back in 3/09 and I've enjoyed this forum immensely. I'll be checking a big item off my bucket list this June when I drive from my Pennsylvania home to Portland, OR and back, and I figured this would be as good a topic as any to start my 1st YW thread

My car is a bone stock manual; I've kept up with the regular maintenance (I have a close friend who is a mechanic) and have done nothing out of the ordinary beyond using synthetic oil from my 1st oil change onward. At 26k I've just replaced the stock tires with a set of Bridgestones (I've had a Firestone account for years and I'm trying to keep as much cash as possible handy for the trip); I'm just wondering if anyone has other suggestions for me in preparation for this trip. I anticipate around 7000 miles in total driving over the course of about 20 days, with hard runs there & back between about 12 days of leisure time visiting my friend in Portland.

I'm accustomed to driving long distances and have already clocked 800+ miles in one day last spring during a mini Finger Lakes/Niagara Falls vacation. The car performed flawlessly on that trip save one speeding ticket and a meeting with a cat somewhere in the backwoods that has left my front bumper with a minor but permanant scar. I am beyond excited to make this trip for many reasons, and I can't wait to see what the little car can do for me while everyone else is cutting back under this $4/gallon economy this summer.

Thanks in advance for any helpful hints...I've learned much about my car from this forum and I am very proud to be a Yaris driver.
Cheeseburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:28 AM   #2
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Welcome.

Road trips are fun, but can certainly be tiresome as you probably know through experience. Last year I drove from Massachusetts to Tennessee and back. A good time and the Yaris did a great job. I actually didn't experience any comfort issues either - and I'm 6'1" 240 lbs.

Any particular reason you're driving instead of flying? 7,000 miles is pretty hardcore. Flying may almost be cheaper when you put a value on time + the extra hotel stays and eating out every meal during the trip. Just a thought.

As far as tips, I would just pack anything you would need for most situations expected and unexpected. The Yaris is as reliable a car as any in history and won't let you down especially with your low mileage but always be prepared. New tires is good and just make sure the pressure is perfect. Make sure the spare is at it's proper pressure too. I wouldn't drive more than 12 hours a day. Carry a cooler for drinks.

Sorry if I just stated the obvious but I don't know what else to say.

Good luck!
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
41magmag41

Drives: Loaded 2007 mica silver sedan
I have a 2007 sedan and have made two round trips to Indiana and back with mine from northern New Hampshire. The car did great. On one of those two trips I brought back my son's girlfriend and a grilfriend of her's to summer jobs in Maine. The car was packed with their "goodies" and I still averaged 41 mpg with the car running about 75 the whole way with cruise control.

Ditto on the information from Kal-El. Just cover all the bases and go with caution. Enjoy the trip and the car. I suspect your yaris will not give you any problem. Mine has 98000 on her and the only thing I've done other than routine maint. is two sets of tires, one being snows, and the rear ABS sensors and wiring harness replaced under my 100000 mile warranty. This is one of the least expensive cars I've ever owned and plan on keeping her a while longer with gas prices heading where they are going now.
41magmag41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41magmag41 View Post
I have a 2007 sedan and have made two round trips to Indiana and back with mine from northern New Hampshire. The car did great. On one of those two trips I brought back my son's girlfriend and a grilfriend of her's to summer jobs in Maine. The car was packed with their "goodies" and I still averaged 41 mpg with the car running about 75 the whole way with cruise control.

Ditto on the information from Kal-El. Just cover all the bases and go with caution. Enjoy the trip and the car. I suspect your yaris will not give you any problem. Mine has 98000 on her and the only thing I've done other than routine maint. is two sets of tires, one being snows, and the rear ABS sensors and wiring harness replaced under my 100000 mile warranty. This is one of the least expensive cars I've ever owned and plan on keeping her a while longer with gas prices heading where they are going now.
Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised when I averaged 40 MPG on my trip with a huge load. Two people equaling 450lbs and about 150lbs worth of cargo. And averaging 75 mph without cruise control!

How the hell do they get a 35/36mpg EPA highway rating when it gets 40 in these conditions??

So to those planning road trips, don't concern yourself with weight.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
Cheeseburger

Thanks for asking, there are a few reasons for not wanting to fly out. First, I'm a big guy and flying has never been a comfortable proposition. I flew out there 7 years ago, but I'm looking to do things a little differently this time. Second, this is something I've always wanted to do; I've always loved hitting the road and I'm at a point in my life where there's no time like now to make it happen. Third, I want the flexibility of being in my own car, so I can go where I want to go and do what I want to do. Detour over to see the Grand Canyon? Take a couple of days and drive down the Pacific Coast to San Fran? Sure, why not...since I'm in my car I can more freely make those kinds of choices.

I'm (relatively newly) single and have no kids or responsibilities beyond myself. At 33 years old, it's time for me to start doing some of the things I've always dreamed about doing. I think more than anything that's what this trip is all about. It's been years since I've done anything substantial like this for myself. I'm really looking forward to being alone with my thoughts as the miles click away.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:28 PM   #6
Kal-El

^^ Sounds like a great time. Nothing like seeing the country.

Hope all goes well.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:58 PM   #7
2009BBPliftback

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB in Blazing blue
Send a message via AIM to 2009BBPliftback
Keep us posted on your adventure! Driving cross country has always been a dream of mine def want to do it in my lifetime. Flying just isn't the same but for my schedule thats all I've been able to do. You should take pictures of your Yaris at various points of your trip to share!

Last edited by 2009BBPliftback; 04-23-2011 at 11:59 PM. Reason: I kant tipe
2009BBPliftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:17 AM   #8
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
Fly? Are you kidding? I will do anything these days to avoid the hell known as commercial air travel! Thank you Osama for making it such a bitch to fly. As far as the economics, you can for sure do it cheaper in the Yaris. Don't stay in a motel every night, don't eat every meal in a resturant, and you will have money to spare. Plus you won't get groped or x rayed!
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:05 AM   #9
Cheeseburger

On keeping the trip affordable, I believe I have that covered. I will be staying with friends in Columbus, Ohio and Olathe, Kansas as well as Portland, and I have no trouble sleeping in the car or staying in a bargain-basement motel. I'm budgeting around $2500 total for the entire trip, including sightseeing, meals or whatever else I come across.

I'll definitely take pictures and keep the forum up to date as I travel if people are interested I'm off of work as of Friday June 3rd and don't have to return until a training the afternoon of June 21st. As it stands currently I'll probably take my time getting out there because the friend I'm visiting won't be off until June 10th, and then I'll stay in Portland (aside from whatever side trips we take on while I'm out there) until Saturday the 18th and hightail it home in time for work on the 21st. I should add that I don't sleep very much at all, which should be to my benefit over the course of this little adventure.

Since I'll be staying in Columbus and Olathe on my way out there, my route has pretty much defined itself until the Rockies. From there I'll be free to freelance a little; I'd really like to stop off at Moab, UT and see the Arches, but other than that I'm leaving myself open to explore and go wherever the road takes me. No GPS (unless I really get lost-my phone does have one) and just one of those big trucker road atlases as my guide. I can't wait...
Old 04-24-2011, 06:58 AM   #10
SKurj

Drives: 09 Yaris 3dr HB, BRZ
Make sure you have roadside assistance... though with an 09 guess you still have the Toyota coverage.

I've done a similar trip a few times but on a bike, 11,000kms in 14 days 2 yrs ago Toronto to Seattle and back. To keep costs down, get a motel 6 guide if you are doing motels, or yeah you have the option to snooze in the car.
SKurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:33 PM   #11
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Good luck with the trip. Any thought to adding the CTScott DYI Cruise Control?
I have the factory cruise and love it. Many here have added the DYI and like it too.
A really cheap mod that might make parts of the trip enjoyable as well. It gives you
a chance to take the foot off the accelerator and move around or adjust yourself.

Here are some links:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...Cruise+control

Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:55 PM   #12
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Drove from south FL to CA last year in 4 days. Car ran flawlessly. With a small lumbar support pillow, I found the car surprisingly comfortable. Cruise control is a good suggestion; wish I had it. Have fun!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #13
2009BBPliftback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revsson View Post
Good luck with the trip. Any thought to adding the CTScott DYI Cruise Control?
I have the factory cruise and love it. Many here have added the DYI and like it too.
A really cheap mod that might make parts of the trip enjoyable as well. It gives you
a chance to take the foot off the accelerator and move around or adjust yourself.

Here are some links:

agreed this is so easy its not even funny 100 bucks and I had factory cruise in my car 30 minutes total :)
Old 04-25-2011, 09:36 PM   #14
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Enjoy the journey. Remember that speed kills mpg. The states out west have 75 mph limit. That means going 80. Expect a drop in mileage.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:09 AM   #15
Cheeseburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009BBPliftback View Post
agreed this is so easy its not even funny 100 bucks and I had factory cruise in my car 30 minutes total :)
The DIY cruise control has always intrigued me, but I never looked closely at it until now because my mechanical skills are modest at best and I didn't want to mess around too much with a new car that I hope to see turn 200,000 miles or more someday. Electrical modifications are especially daunting--I lost an old 2nd gen Jetta (my first car) to an electrical fire years ago.

However, at your urging I looked more closely at the thread and it seems that adding cruise to my '09 is basically a plug-n-play operation! OEM stalk ordered this morning from Thailand on eBay (hope it arrives in time!) and I'll be speaking with one of my mechanic friends about tracking down the clutch switch this week.

This forum is such an incredible resource, and all the innovative posters like CTScott (and so many others) deserve tons of credit for their hard work to squeeze the most out of their Yarii--which only benefits all of us

And you're right...adding cruise will make this trip so much more comfortable; driving for hours on end without the option of moving my R foot much never sounded like much fun.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:11 AM   #16
krolos

Drives: 2008 yaris sedan
[QUOTE=nemelek;575940]Enjoy the journey. Remember that speed kills mpg. The states out west have 75 mph limit. That means going 80. Expect a drop in mileage.[/QUOTE

I would not worry to much about mpg drop doing highway speeds of
70 or more, I average 38 mpg most of highway trips with surfboard on
rack averaging around 75 mph and with ac on, these trips are in
summer months, I am quite happy with that
krolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #17
2009BBPliftback

You can get the clutch switch from sparks Toyota I can't remember the cost but it wasn't anything to unreasonable. Good luck fellow Pennsylvanian!
Old 04-29-2011, 01:42 AM   #18
Mizzie07
Yaris Owner

Drives: 2009 Yaris 1.8 L 2ZR-FE I4
Planning on a road trip on my own. I'll drive alone so I was surprised on how much I can pack into the compartment. Had the roof rack installed a week ago to tie in my wake board with harnesses.

Do you own an automotive site? (forum/blogging/carparts) Get ahead of your competition with automotive seo
Mizzie07 is offline   Reply With Quote